Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cell tower width

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Cell tower width

We have a little quandry here at the office. We have an applicant who wishes to construct a cellular tower disguised as a light pole. We had no problem with that, but still sent him under our special review process. At the required neighborhood meeting he said the light pole would be 30 inches wide.

Is this common?
    Are there other examples of smaller cell tower/light poles?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sorry zman, I have seen only bad examples of this kind "stealth". Structural engineering and not easthetics is going to determine the necessary width of the monopole. IMHO If the proposed monopole is grossly disproportionate to the common item it is trying to disguise itself as, it will fail to be a stealth application and will be a visual nusiance. If that is the case, deny deny deny!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    The basic problem is they have to get (usually) three antennas inside that thing. Technology has limitations with this respect. If all three sectors are to be at the same height, it will be pretty thick. If they can stagger the height, it can be thinner. The coax runs are probably 7/8" thick and there are quite a few of them, but they can definitely fit in less than 30".

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Just out of curiosity, how tall is this thing? Are you going to have a "light pole" that is 150' tall and 3' wide?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Just out of curiosity, how tall is this thing? Are you going to have a "light pole" that is 150' tall and 3' wide?
    It looks to be 35 feet tall and 30inches wide was the "Maximum" he told our office. So we'll see what they can plan.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    It looks to be 35 feet tall and 30inches wide was the "Maximum" he told our office. So we'll see what they can plan.
    35' tall with a 30" base seems excessive. The arrays I have dealt with are usually about 10 feet tall, thus the pole would seem to only serve one provider. In the most recent flagpole tower we approved the base of a 150' tower was only 3.5'. I checked the top measurements and found it to be about 24' wide and at 35 feet from the top 30" wide. However this increase in width would appear to be necessary to accommodate the three different arrays that would be provided. I would think they could get by with the pole being 24" wide throughout if it is only serving one provider. Also, for the pole we just approved, the arrays are to be located internal to the tower - thus the 24" width at the top. Is the array in your case to be internal or external? It would seem that an external array could support an even narrower pole. Just my opinion.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    This was not my project, but a little research of the Throbbing Brain was in order.

It turns out this project is to take place in the parking lot of the Country Club.... so we'll see where it goes next....

Thanks for the input Cyb....

-Peart

Registered
    Oct 2003
    You need excellent coverage when you're on the links doncha know?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Would you live near a cell tower?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 07 Jun 2011, 6:11 PM
  2. Wireless facilities Cell tower zoning regulation
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Oct 2010, 6:26 PM
  3. Cell tower on public property
    Economic and Community Development