Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Community Corp. Research Project

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2004

Community Corp. Research Project

I'm meeting with the executive director of my local community corporation this Friday to discuss possible projects for me to work on that would be mutually beneficial for the corporation and my grad school applications.

I know she's currently looking at stabilizing the neighborhood by turning some duplexes into condominiums and increasing home ownership. She's also encouraging new, small businesses with some success on the business district in our community and also remediating vacant lots, closed gas stations for new use as well as assessing the current land use of the Dutchtown community in which I live.

Based on all of those things, what might you guys suggest I discuss as possible projects with her that will both help her in her work as well as make my application look appropriate for someone interested in development?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It sounds like some research in infill development/redevelopment would be a good place to start based on your description of the director's goals. Infill development is a popular area right now and would look good on a resume. You could also look at small business assistance programs that a few other cities have done.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 6:56 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Sep 2009, 3:21 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jan 2009, 3:16 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 1997, 6:06 PM