Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Yep… that is snow.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Yep… that is snow.

They canceled all the schools in the area because of this? Last night we got 1-6 inches of the wet snow that caused power lines to fall, and trees to break. I am just thinking if this was the UP, kids would have fun on the walk to school, and we would have been ready for it.

BUT HERE, everyone keeps calling the office to complain about trees on their fence, the car, and the house, and expect us to clean them up.

How did you deal with this storm if you got hit by it?

-this much closer to the ski hill!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We got 1-2 inches starting about rush hour last night. The puppy loves it, the puppy walker not so much.

--And you would think people would not forget how to drive in it. IDIOTS run amok!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I delt with it like any other winter day in Michigan. Got up, put long pants, shirt, socks, and a coat on and shoveled my driveway.

Got the Ole heart pumping in the crisp fresh air. AAAAAAHAHAHAH

I LOVE WINTER LET IT SNOW

Registered
    Dec 2001
    we got our 4-6 of heavy wet snow in the afternoon of thanksgiving eve....during rush hour. trees down, power lines down, an my normal 7 minute evening drive was 45 minutes.

it all melted in 2 days.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It is snowing here right now. Learned the best part of living in an apartment, someone else shovels your steps and walkway.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    I delt with it like any other winter day in Michigan. Got up, put long pants, shirt, socks, and a coat on and shoveled my driveway.

Got the Ole heart pumping in the crisp fresh air. AAAAAAHAHAHAH

I LOVE WINTER LET IT SNOW
    Did you have electricity? Many of my co-workers did not this morning.

Quote Originally posted by donk
    It is snowing here right now. Learned the best part of living in an apartment, someone else shovels your steps and walkway.
    And car-ports! No snow or frost on the car is also a good thing.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Did you have electricity? Many of my co-workers did not this morning.
    Yup I had power.

I heard nearly 2,000 households in the area did not. A major north/south road was closed because of downed lines, routed cars into slush covered residential streets. A slow drive into work this AM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We had a foot on Sunday, and with the 16 degree temps yesterday and Monday, it hasn't melted.
    Still I drove past a ton of kids walking to school today and the past two days.

It took four feet of snow to close school once growing up in Denver.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    They canceled all the schools in the area because of this?
    They closed it because of the power outage, not the four measly inches of wet snow. When I was a kid they only had a total of 10 snow days over the 11 years I attended the local schools here (and we had to walk ten miles to school and it was uphill both ways!)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You eastern types are a bit slow. The snows started here on Saturday night and finished up Monday morning. We had about six inches where I am, and closer to two feet in the mountains. Schools were all open, even though it took more than twice as long to get anywhere on Monday. The town I live in has still not plowed the streets, which are all packed ice now. I think I will be visiting the city council soon.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    You eastern types are a bit slow. The snows started here on Saturday night and finished up Monday morning. We had about six inches where I am, and closer to two feet in the mountains. Schools were all open, even though it took more than twice as long to get anywhere on Monday. The town I live in has still not plowed the streets, which are all packed ice now. I think I will be visiting the city council soon.
    No plowin' up north of you either, Card. Even Hwy 287... I have been enjoying the snowy, slippery streets with my new Subaru though. No compaints.
    Last edited by zman; 01 Dec 2004 at 4:41 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Are you kidding? I'm from the Charlotte area, the south. Down here you have to have an appointment to get in the ditch in the event of a heavy frost!!!! 6 Inches of snow brings the area to a standstill. No snowplows, no people who can drive in the stuff. You get the picture.

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    When I was a kid they only had a total of 10 snow days over the 11 years I attended the local schools here (and we had to walk ten miles to school and it was uphill both ways!)
    In two years of sending my kid to a small local Catholic school, we've shown up for school four (4) times when school was either closed or on two-hour delay. Not a flake of snow to be seen except in my youngster's fertile imagination. Now, if something beside Sesame Street was on TV I'd have known, but Mrs. G and I don't watch/listen to the news in the a.m.

(To be fair, the county has a diverse topography and outlying roads can sometimes be impassable when city streets are clear. But not even one durned flake of snow??? C'mon.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Yep....that is snow

And I don't miss it one bit.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    They canceled all the schools in the area because of this? Last night we got 1-6 inches of the wet snow that caused power lines to fall, and trees to break.
    Geeze, what do they make your power lines out of there, silly string ?

No real snow yet this year. Usually it takes 8ft to shut this place down. If that happens I can walk home or take the bus, and if I'm already home I go to the store to get beer.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    The Toledo area (and NW OH) goes into "full panic mode" when there is even the hint on the local weather of a winter storm. The stores fill up with shoppers fighting for bread and milk, the local media acts like it is the end of the world, etc. Then, when the "big" four-inch snowfall hits, schools everywhere are closed.

Toledo gets about thirty (30) inches per year of this white stuff. The last few years it has been less. Compare to a place like Marquette, MI (in the Upper Peninsula).....they average nearly two-hundred (200) inches per year.

T-Town has been spared so far....only a dusting, as the heavier snow has crossed Michigan's Lower Peninsula from southwest to mid-northeast.

I like snow.

Frosty The Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    You eastern types are a bit slow.
    I see you're adjusting quite well to the new environs.

Weren't you an "eastern type" a scant few months ago?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    I see you're adjusting quite well to the new environs.

Weren't you an "eastern type" a scant few months ago?
    Nah, I was a Great Laker.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Um...I think I saw snow...like 25 years ago.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    BUT HERE, everyone keeps calling the office to complain about trees on their fence, the car, and the house, and expect us to clean them up.
    It amazes me that the public will complain endlessly about taxes and big government but then turn around and expect the government to take care of every little problem they have. Bozos.

At least people in your area know what to do when it snows. This is what happens when it snows in Atlanta:

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    At least people in your area know what to do when it snows. This is what happens when it snows in Atlanta:

But, you know, they aren't actually overreacting all that much: Southerners are so clueless about snow that people wreck a lot -- so a lot of those folks on the road really are in danger of dying. When we had a bunch of snow in Columbus, Georgia the year I was about 8 years old, my husband's grandfather got out his snow shovel and began shoveling his roof off -- and his neighbors laughed and made fun of him....until the news began announcing the collapse of roofs. Then they wanted to borrow his snow shovel (Southern roofs are not sloped adequately to deal with snow). Southerners know how to drive in the snow about as well as most folks here know how to pilot a rocket to the moon.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Southerners are so clueless about snow that people wreck a lot -- so a lot of those folks on the road really are in danger of dying. When we had a bunch of snow in Columbus, Georgia the year I was about 8 years old, my husband's grandfather got out his snow shovel and began shoveling his roof off -- and his neighbors laughed and made fun of him....until the news began announcing the collapse of roofs. Then they wanted to borrow his snow shovel (Southern roofs are not sloped adequately to deal with snow). Southerners know how to drive in the snow about as well as most folks here know how to pilot a rocket to the moon.
    While this may be true to a certain extent (southerners being clueless about winter driving), places that sit right on the freeze line of a winter storm (happens in GA/SC/NC a couple times each year) are dealt the worst driving conditions. It is easier to drive a day after a 12-inch snowfall than a day after an inch of ice accumulates.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    When we had a bunch of snow in Columbus, Georgia the year I was about 8 years old, my husband's grandfather ...
    I won't make fun of West Virginia anymore! How old were you when you got married?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I won't make fun of West Virginia anymore! How old were you when you got married?
    I didn't even know my husband at that time. We met at age 16 and married at age 19. So I actually heard the story years after the fact. Since the big snow storm was so unusual, it couldn't be confused with some other event. My stories about the big storm aren't nearly so entertaining or relevant. So hearsay stories from the in-laws makes for a better example of how helpless the deep south is in the face of -- EGADS -- Snow!
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 02 Dec 2004 at 4:36 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001

I

I couldnt believe it was snow day yesterday for us too. The only closings I saw scrolling across the the early morning tube was in kalamazoo and the lakeshore counties. Not east of GR! My kids and I were waiting and waiting for the bus, thought we missed it so we pile in the car and drive them into town. Still didn't have a clue when driving down a local road that was barely passable. I just assumed Ionia county plows ran out of gas before they got over here, wouldn't be the first time. But actually had to go up to the Elementary school doors and try them, they were locked, before I could believe they closed the schools. By that time, it was brilliant blue skies but snow plastered everywhere.

I am interning in the zoning department in Greenville and do not have a plan b for latchkey kids, so I stayed home too!

Today it is as slick as snot out there...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Who is going to see snow first?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 62
    Last post: 11 Nov 2005, 2:02 PM
  2. Snow
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Apr 2004, 4:10 PM
  3. Snow Day
    Friday Afternoon Club