Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bored silly

Registered
    Sep 1999

Bored silly

Ever had a job with virtually NO challenges? After several jobs in zoning and land use, with the resultant hearings and pissing off of virtually everyone, over almost 20 years, I find myself in a totally non-stress job. And I'm bored. Bored big-time. I am getting stuff done but it just seems so "whatever" after working in zoning.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Preaching to the choir, and this is after 6 months. If I have to say "every farm has a bad corner" or deal with a surplus farm dwelling severance too many more times I am going to wish for a combine to mow me down.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm so bored, I began hot-linking every picture and every TMC & PHF/HVP report to the intersections in the LOS database I'm working on.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    I'm so bored, I began hot-linking every picture and every TMC & PHF/HVP report to the intersections in the LOS database I'm working on.
    Wow, you transportation planners are really pretty talkers. I wish we commoner land use folks could do that.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    My job is pretty unchallenging. I keep hoping something goes wrong so I have some excitment.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I used to do one temp job with no challenge at all. Just taking phone calls of people wanting to get appointments to come in. It was so boring but yet so stressful that I decided after a month the pay was probably not worth it.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    The job I have now.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Done, an entire day's work by 10:00 am. Now to look busy for the rest of the day.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Talk about boring after three months off, you guys are the bit of sanity I do have during my day. You know for sure that it has come to the end of the barrel when asked how was your day the only thing you have to comment on is what was on Oprah.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I know it sucks when it's boring... but I have yet to be bored here, seems like it's always nuts! Someone want to come work for me? I have a position open!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The boredom comes in waves here, with no indicators. This month I will be very busy, but last month? Jest settin around, pickin my teeth and whistlin Dixie.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    It is supposed to be challenging and busy, but it's not. My employer loves me and thinks am busy. It is really just Cyburbia.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Ever had a job with virtually NO challenges? After several jobs in zoning and land use, with the resultant hearings and pissing off of virtually everyone, over almost 20 years, I find myself in a totally non-stress job. And I'm bored. Bored big-time. I am getting stuff done but it just seems so "whatever" after working in zoning.
    Hey ZG....with all the stress in your life from the damage from the hurricanes, be glad your job is not stressful right now. Boring can be refreshing ever once in a while.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    My job is pretty unchallenging. I keep hoping something goes wrong so I have some excitment.
    Invite me for a visit.

EDIT: I had a period of time last spring, where I had zero work. I had been hired to launch the planning division of an engineering company, and it took a solid 8 months to build enough client base to stay busy. It was really hard for me since I am very "type A", but all the hard work payed off, and I am now busy, profitbale, and hiring.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Ahhh, the good old days. Donning a flak vest and following a copper with blaster at the ready position to see if there were any bums or bodies in the abandoned crack house we were about to board up.

Somehow warping spreadsheets just isn't the same.

I don't wanna go back to the good old days!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Come on ZG, you get to go to BPAC meetings and get great cookies. How exciting is that!! I know it has it low spots, but you could mix it up a little by starting to acquire new corridors down the center of exclusive neighborhoods to have some fun. I could just see the angery citizens now!

Registered
    May 2002
    Boring job? Got it right here. I've been here one year yesterday, and I've watched my duties go from fielded studies looking at potential Home Depot sites around the country to pushing a button and watching the computer spit out a loss of sales percentage for fast food restaurants.

I miss planning, and would gladly trade spots with any of you if I didn't have to move. Not that I'm opposed to moving, but that would have to entail a divorce!
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bored at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 7:08 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 12 Jun 2007, 8:15 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 22 Jun 2005, 7:22 PM
  4. Are we really that bored?
    Friday Afternoon Club