Thread: London (UK) New City Hall

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

London (UK) New City Hall

Interesting. Very, um...spherical.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    It reminds me of an angry hornet's nest.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    It looks like Disney's Epcot Center cut in half or something.......

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I didn't know they had armadillos in the Uk.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was thinking it reminds of something like the League of Justice from the old SuperFriends cartoons...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    oy.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Oct 2001

Borg Mothership

I always thought Tony Blair was a little TOO polished. Now, we see confirmation that England has been assimilated by the BORG collective.

Journeymouse - Has London been "Assimilated"?

(Do they even get Star Trek Deep Space Nine or Voyager in the UK?)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Does anyone else see the resemblance to Marge Simpson's hair?

Yes, we do get the Star Trek series, just about 2 seasons later (Enterprise just started last week in fact!). And incidentally, I enjoy it even if it is very poor quality science fiction. I much prefer Farscape, but I think that has more to do with 'Crichton' in leather pants *drools a bit*

Yes, the UK has been assimilated but mainly to 'American' global culture. When I get my digital camera Friday, I'll post some photos of Guildford, particularly the shops ("Look! McDonald's!"). I don't think the new London City Hall looks good, but it is novel (sp?). It reminds me a little of the Jubilee Campus of Nottingham University (the picture attached is very small - you might be able to find a better one on the 'net).
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    They said the same thing about Toronto City Hall when it was built, though.

I think it's good that the city took a chance with the design of this building. Imagine how dull most of our skylines would be today the occasional clients didn't give their architecture the freedom to experiment and innovate.

Compare some of the new skyscrapers in Europe and Asia to those going up in North American cities.

Yawn!

Excuse me ... I'm going to take a nap now.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

I like it.

It looks a bit borgish - but that is assimilation for you. If it had a big gun sticking out of it - it would look much better. Kind of a futuristic space gun turret kind of thingy. I would photoshop it for you but I am working hard today for a change.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Dan does have a good point. After the snickering dies down a bit, I imagine the building is pretty neat-especially at night.

My only caveat would be context. Did they bomb a thriving neighborhood and replace it with a brutalist monster of a city hall and a windswept "plaza" that is never used (like Boston) or is the site appropriate for a monumental construction like this? If the latter, then I agree that it will be pretty cool. And, it looks like there are "green" elements to the building-lots of windows that might make it a pretty pleasant place to work. The symbolic power is there, also.

It is just so FUNNY in photographs, though.

Coming from the Bay Area-the home of the blah skyline (except for the Transamerica tower and the absolutely awful Marriott "jukebox hotel," SF has to have one of the duller collection of skyscrapers I have seen, I agree with Dan about the dullness of American skylines. The ironic thing is that many of these interesting European and Asian buildings are being designed by American firms!

Registered
    Aug 2001

I like

I just hope it's around in a few hundred years.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Judging by what I've been told by the, er, natives, Boston's City Hall Plaza is just about the only thing they could have built that wouldn't have been an improvement on Scollay Square.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    "Oh, but it expresses the forms of the building and the brutality of modern life. The harsh winter light plays across its surfaces in a stark and beautiful manner. I can right a dissertation explaining how the hoi polloi just don't understand the atark grandeur of my work."

God, I hate architects sometimes. The philosophy that we live in a chaotic and brutal era so our architecture should "express this" (and make it worse) is just bizarre.

Was Scollay Square that bad for its residents? Were they really asked? Was the social network in place relocated successfully (no, of course)

Or was it horrible just for suburban-oriented politicians who couldn't understand that a little girt doesn't hurt anyone and that not everyone wants a Colonial on two acres in Sharon?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    And all this time I thought Boston City Hall was supposed to represent a concrete cow skeleton in a field of its own petrified detritus...well, that's what you get when you're a philistine trying to be an architecture critic.

Not being from 'round here, can't speak much to the "process" that went into razing Scollay Square...but seems this one has to be chalked up to the well-meaning idiot fumblers that brought us Urban "Renewal."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The Death Star has landed!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    but i guess i just don't understand why use the bride of frankenstein as your motivation for london's city hall...some wierd fettish perhaps?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Was Boston City Hall designed by the same architect as the Dallas City Hall?

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Looks like the same guy also did half the buildings on my old university campus (U Waterloo).

Registered
    Oct 2001

I was wrong-its a Dalek!

I looked at it again. My apologies, Journeymouse for Americanizing this discussion

It REALLY looks like a Gigantic Dalek!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Dr. Who rules! Especially the Tom Baker version.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The 20 Years Ago At City Hall Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 11 Jan 2010, 1:48 PM
  2. Funny Day at City Hall
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Oct 2003, 8:48 PM
  3. Freedom of expression in City Hall
    Friday Afternoon Club