Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The End of an Era??

Registered
    Dec 1998

The End of an Era??

Yesterday, the new administration began one of the biggest crackdowns (with more to come) in New Orleans city government that this city, maybe even the state, has seen in quite a while. Many people are heralding this as the end of an era of political cronyism and sweetheart deals. This type of politics is pervasive in Louisiana. Do any other cities and/or states experience political shenanigans to this extent?

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpa...y/raids23.html

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our Wisconsin State Legislature is embroiled in a scandal that crosses party lines. One legislator has been charges with 18 counts, some felonies. More charges are expected. It's such a shame, Wisconsin used to pride itself on clean government.

PS - This N.O. crackdown is a good thing, isn't it?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've mostly worked for smaller towns... but even those are not immune from corruption and wrong-doing. I barely got out of the last Department I worked in before the crud hit the fan. The former director has been on "administrative leave" for about five or six months now. I know there is a big investigation because they have taken depos from me regarding her actions, and that is pretty costly considering I live in another country now.

It's nothing to the scale that N.O. is seeing. But unfortunately there's something shady in almost every community. I wonder why city workers have a bad rep???... sheesh!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    This crackdown is a very good thing. I can't wait until they target the boards and commissions, especially the City Planning Commission. I'm willing to bet that all of the 5 planners, myself included, that left that office last year will sing like canaries if ever questioned about the "whats," "whens" and "wheres" of that office.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The State of Illinois and the City of Chicago both have long and tawdry histories of political corruption. As we speak, the state government is embroiled in the "license for bribes" scandal. The Secretary of State office has been exposed for giving driver's licenses, particularly commercial driver's licenses, to anyone willing to make a contribution to the Secretary of State's political campaign fund, without any testing whatsoever. This has resulted in numerous instances of drivers involved in accidents, drivers who for various reasons (previous DUIs, lack of understanding of English) did not deserve to be on the road. The U.S. Attorney's Office here began investigating this in 1998, after a truck driver with a bribe license was involved in an accident that killed a family of seven in Wisconsin.

What makes this all the more interesting is that the secretary of state when this all came to light is now our governor, and he is fending off demands from his own (Republican) party to resign. The investigation is clearly moving in a way that may suggest our governor's direct involvement in the scandal.

And aren't we all familiar with the kind of corruption that Chicago gave us? From Mayor "Big" Bill Thompson and his friendship with Al Capone, to Mayor Anton Cermak's creation of the Machine, to Mayor Richard J. Daley's role in the 1960 presidential election, the "Council Wars" stalemate between City Council and Mayor Harold Washington in the 1980s.

And let's just say there were pretty good reasons why, after seven years, I left the City's Department of Planning.

No, New Orleans and Louisiana have no monopoly on political corruption.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by pete-rock
    The State of Illinois and the City of Chicago both have long and tawdry histories of political corruption. As we speak, the state government is embroiled in the "license for bribes" scandal. The Secretary of State office has been exposed for giving driver's licenses, particularly commercial driver's licenses, to anyone willing to make a contribution to the Secretary of State's political campaign fund, without any testing whatsoever.
    How low can you go? All it takes to get a drivers license, even a CDL, is to take a test or two. Most morons can get one, yet the Secretary of State is offering them in exchange for campaign contributions?! Corruption is bad, but bribery for something as simple to get as a CDL is ridiculous! What else is for sale?

+ Reply to thread