Urban planning community

Poll results: RUGGED! or redneck?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • RUGGED!!! I just sprouted a few (more) hairs on my chest looking at that photo.

3 23.08%
  • Redneck! American by birth, but Southern by the grace of God! Yee-haw! Y'all got any Goody's powder?

10 76.92%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: RUGGED! ... or redneck?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

RUGGED! ... or redneck?

This was the scene about an hour ago at the Burger King drive-through window at "the town next door."

You decide ... a bunch a'damn Nextel totin' necks ... or ... RUGGED???
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Southern by the Grace of G*d = Thanks for keeping your trash to yourselves. That blue metal roof has got to go!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    ok - it is a little redneck (check out all the SOV -s!) but damn, that Goody's powders kicks headache a**!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Looks like a bunch of pseudo-ruggeds to me. I don't see any confederate flags or mud-flaps on those trucks to denote rednecks (as I identify them).

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: RUGGED! ... or redneck?

Originally posted by Dan
    This was the scene about an hour ago at the Burger King drive-through window at "the town next door."
    Dan, you need to eat better. We're starting to worry about you.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Those trucks are too clean to be driven by rednecks!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001

About that Bronco...

That black Bronco with the extra lift seems familiar... are you sure it's not yours, Dan, and you just got out to snap the picture?

The running joke between my friends in Northern California is the larger the truck, the smaller the guy's package. If anything, this photo makes me think that I wouldn't be moving to that part of Florida for the action anytime soon!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Two S-10s and a couple rice-burnin' SUV wannabes? I only see one full-sized anything made by a by-God 'Merican truck comp'ny (bearer of the only "3" I see in the photo), and as Planderella notes, no Stars 'n Bars or mudflaps (I'd add gunracks). IMHO, this is neither rugged NOR redneck, Dan, but I will admit it's very Florida...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Planderella
    Looks like a bunch of pseudo-ruggeds to me. I don't see any confederate flags or mud-flaps on those trucks to denote rednecks (as I identify them).
    There's no Confederate flags or Yosemite Sam mudflaps, but let's zoom in a bit ...

Duy-yul n' little Duy-yul. The Magic 8 Ball says ...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Re: RUGGED! ... or redneck?

Originally posted by bturk
    Dan, you need to eat better. We're starting to worry about you.
    Unfortunately, the restaurant selection in "the town next door" is limited to Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Checkers, a few lunch-only greasy spoons, s sports bar with a sign reading "BIKERS WELCOME," a somewhat OK Mexican restaurant, and a decent BBQ place.

I don't think it looks rugged or redneck. In fact it could be the parking lot of any Home Depot in suburban Milwaukee.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ok Dan I got a month till im in Orlando, dont be scaring me like this! There has got to be some civilized life there. Or am I gonna have urban withdrawls the whole 4 days?

Say it a'nt so Dan!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Ok Dan I got a month till im in Orlando, dont be scaring me like this! There has got to be some civilized life there. Or am I gonna have urban withdrawls the whole 4 days?
    Most of the Orlando metro area looks Floridian, and is culturally Northeastern US oriented.

However, there's an enclave. Development didn't happen in that region until recently, because most of the land was held in citrus production. The economic base of those towns were ag, and they've been around as long as Orlando was. They were also culturally and financially independent.

While Orlando grew, the ag towns remained unchanged; West Orange County was literally Orlando's "God Forsaken Zone" Citrus west bust in the 1980s, and West Orange County was finally open for develpment.

The two dominant towns in the area each went down different paths. The town I live in, Ocoee, has an ugly history, and wanted to overcome its redneck reputation. They did so quite well -- tough design regulations, higher-than-average median family and per capita income, higher end residential development, an upscale mall -- it did allright, although it's geographically it's still considered "God forsaken" in the collective eyes of Orlando residents. Ocoee made some tough choices, but now it's reaping the rewards.

In the other town, the former citrus bosses still held power, and the good 'ol boy system continued. Development controls were minimal -- "I know ya', Bob .... naaah, we won't worry about them curb cuts for now." Used car dealers were "compatible" with the former citrus-based businesses along the city's main corridor, where land was divided into small parcels, so they flooded in. That was followed by auto repair, then heavy equipment sales, and the die was cast; main street resound swith the growling sounds of diesel engines. The city couldn't attract any higher end residential development (until recently), so most newcomers weren't that well off. Yankees didn't feel comfortable there; working class Southerners did.

It's too bad. That second town has a superior lakefront location, a great downtown, an established presence of small business owners who lived in the commuity, and a large stock of historic architecture. There was so much potential, and it was shot.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ok ill just stay on the Disney property then

at least its a nice place to people watch

and i can wear my PVC out dancing at PI
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by Dan

There's no Confederate flags or Yosemite Sam mudflaps, but let's zoom in a bit ...

Duy-yul n' little Duy-yul. The Magic 8 Ball says ...
    The number on that truck must be the owner's I.Q.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Not as redneck as the mulletfest held in niceville fla. Dan maybe you can visit and post pictures in teh fall.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 May 2008, 8:27 PM
  2. Redneck Riviera Ho-down
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 17 Oct 2005, 7:55 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Sep 2005, 7:39 PM
  4. Redneck pictures
    Friday Afternoon Club