Urban planning community

Poll results: How is your relationship with Mother Nature?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty healthy - I exercise my canoe/kayak/bike/hiking boots/deer stand/etc whenever humanly possible!

13 61.90%
  • We're acquaintances - I enjoy looking through the J Crew catalogue after a stroll through the park

7 33.33%
  • Dysfunctional - I prefer my jungle, concrete.

0 0%
  • Other - which I'm delighted to explain below.

1 4.76%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Communing with Nature

Registered
    Oct 2000

Communing with Nature

We had a gorgeous weekend here in Albany - my husband and I were out canoeing on Saturday and mountain biking on Sunday, which lead me to thinking: it seems to me that we planners tend to be a woodsy lot - my graduate class had lots of kayak-ers, hikers and all around outdoors-men. I'm wondering if this is typical. So where do you all stand on the Outdoors-y scale?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    These days I do most of my exercise at the gym, but I do get biking quite a bit, having just moved near the milwaukee lakefront with its excellent off road paths. I bowed out of softball and volleyball this year. Outdoors-y? Kinda...

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm an avid tennis player...that's the only outdoor sport I'm willing to play. I'm going to install an indoor tennis court when I win the lottery so that I may never have to battle that fricking sun, worry about uneven tan lines and skin cancer, excessive sweat, etc.!!!!!!!

In the warmer months I am into biking and hiking as well as playing on a "tavern league" softball team. I used to play a lot of pick-up football, but when the soreness went from 1 day to about 3 or 4, I decided that watching football on TV was safer. When it gets colder I like cross country and downhill skiing.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jtfortin
    In the warmer months I am into biking and hiking as well as playing on a "tavern league" softball team.
    Ah, tavern league ball. Memories....

Which establishment are you playing for?

Paddy's Pub - nice cozy Irish establishement on Murray Ave. (near North Ave.) Free shots of Jamesons after the game...too bad I can't stand the stuff.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Definitely an outdoors person here. I camp and backpack, canoe, kayak, bike some, and hike lots. It isn't unusual for me to do 20+ miles a day. Vacations are usually into the wilderness. I have taken trips into five states so far this year - Colorado, Utah, Wisconsin, Ontario and Michigan (UP). In September I will get into California, Oregon and Nevada.

A recommendation: the Perseid meteor shower begins this month and peaks on August 12th at 200-300 meteors per hour. Find some place dark, with plenty of horizon, and spend a night under the stars. My pick of places - Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, on the shores of Lake Superior. Very little light and from the beach, nothing to block the view.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My 12 year old daughter might have a meteor slumber party, but it will have to be on short notice in case the sky is hazy or it rains. Some of her friends won't have a clue, but it would be fun!

I'm not the outdoor person I once was, but the kids and I take short walks and hikes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not as active as I'd like. We did more when we had one kid. I even used to take walks by myself in the scary woods with Allison in the kelty, ( now that black bears have been spotted in Grand Rapids I am even a bigger wuss)and then when # 2 came along we were hitching the burley up to the bikes all the time. Now they are gettin a little big for it.

Though we do take em kayaking as we have a tandem and they do ok in it for a couple hours and they are good tent campers and my youngest (almost 4) can cast out a fishin line like a pro.

I guess we are pretty outdoorsy though not hardcore.

I can be very outdoorsy if I set my mind to it (has been known to hike all day, not to mention catching and killing fish and a few other forms of life known to be edible), but I don't do it a lot. I just don't think of doing it half the time. I try to walk to most places, but being in an urban area and reliant on public transport means that the opportunities to get very far into UK 'wilderness' are pretty slim without family or friends.

My dad is a very bad influence. He tries to loose me in the woods on our holidays (in France) and tries to get me drunk when he doesn't achieve his first objective...
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Alhough I am currently having an issue with work - I have to go - we have 3 'yaks (1 river runner, 1 sea, 1 double) which we try to get out in as much as possible and are debating when we will buy another single. We also try to get out camping (tent/outhouse) and hiking as much as possible but never as much as we would like. Perhaps when everyone is married and we can have our weekends back....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    its too bad that these days communing with nature means commuting TO nature...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Sep 2001
    what does it say about you when your bicycles cost more then your car and it takes more thought in buying $80 tire for your car and for the bike its no question that you need $80 tires.

As for commutting to nature, its a 15 minute bike ride to the trails and a 10 minute walk to the river where a canoe or kayak could go in.

One of the few ammenities to living where I do is the access to the outdoors. Other things, such as restaurants and theatre on the other hand....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I still play army. I love to hike, shoot, 4x4 and camp on occasion. I just shoot at paper targets and game birds now instead of Furreners.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I am an insane bird watcher, I'll take off and drive a couple of hours on the spur of the moment to look at some bird I have not seen.

I also hunt and fish on occasion

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The nature of corniness
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 11 Feb 2010, 7:32 PM
  2. The nature of growth
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Aug 2008, 1:01 PM
  3. The Nature of Change