Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Signs allowed in residential zoning districts?

Registered
    Feb 2002

Signs allowed in residential zoning districts?

Working on our ((horrible)) sign ordinance. Right now we have office/residential listed with the same regulations. This would either give the ability for residences to have wall signage, or offices to have nothing.

I'm thinking they should be separate, or have office go under another heading.

So, what signage do you guys allow in residential districts? What should be allowed besides garage sale signs, real estate signs, development entry sign, etc.?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Home occuaption signs less than 2 square feet mounted to the wall has been used in the last two communities I have worked in.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The usual stuff is exempt: the little real estate signs, garage sale signs, political signs, etc., but other signs are not permitted.

We actually have a special type of sign that does not require a permit in residential districts. People around here love taking about 4' boulders and having their names etched into them, so that was included as a special provision so people could keep doing that.

I would seperate offices & residential for the purposes of the sign ordinance. Do you have restrictions on signage for home-based businesses?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by GISgal
    Home occuaption signs less than 2 square feet mounted to the wall has been used in the last two communities I have worked in.

Same here, only Home Occupations and maximum of 2 sf.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Thanks guys! That helps.

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Do you have restrictions on signage for home-based businesses?
    Currently we allow a 4 sq. ft. nameplate in residential areas. However, home occupations are special uses, and the PC approves them conditional without signage.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    First Amendment signs--for those who want to protest the Communist Conspiracy (zoning).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Jan 2012, 11:22 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 19 Apr 2011, 10:54 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Aug 2007, 3:51 PM
  4. Chickens in residential districts
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 25 Oct 2005, 12:09 PM