Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Banners, Pennants, Portables, oh my.... (sign reg ?)

Registered
    Feb 2002

Banners, Pennants, Portables, oh my.... (sign reg ?)

Last question, I promise....

How do you guys deal with banners, flags, pennants, a-frames, portables, etc. in commercial districts?

Banners, flags, etc are allowed for 30 days. But they usually wait a week and stick them back up again. What about an annual limit, say not more than 3 times a year?

Also, we allow a-frames/sandwich boards downtown, but elsewhere a statement prohibits portable sign EVERYWHERE. Oops. How can we make accomodations for temporary signage but still prohibit the portable (on wheels, etc.) signs?

I really think I need to stop doing this for the afternoon, it is giving me a real headache, and I am going in circles.

Thanks!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Last question, I promise....

How do you guys deal with banners, flags, pennants, a-frames, portables, etc. in commercial districts?
    Banner: Temporary sign permit for the banner 30 days each, no more than 4 per year. 1 week between permits. 1 banner per frontage either building or pole mounted. No larger than 32 sq ft.

Light Pole mounted signs: see banner, 18 sq ft max.

Penants: Only in conjunction with grand opening sales. (must provide copy of new business license.)

Portables, A-frames, Etc: All banned everywhere. A-frames are portable, therefore banned. Snipes, Wheeled, "arrow signs", A-frames. all prohibited.

I have suggested to allow downtown and strip mall business a-frames/sandwich boards by requiring they be placed within 8 feet of the primary entrance to the business, no larger than 6 sq ft per side, and not occupy required sidewalk width for handicap access.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We do not allow any portable signs, period.

However, we allow banners 365 days a year. They are required to get an annual permit and designate where the banner will be placed. It also sets max sizes based on the width of the storefront not to exceed 50 square feet. This is what happens when a bunch of noisy business owners scream to the Council while the other 5,000 people in the city (silent majority) complain about sign clutter. Bastards.

Our banner thing is a royal pain in the ass to enforce.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    No one wants to see our regulations. BAN THEM if you can. Anything less is an enforcement nightmare.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    No portable signs-except for Open House signs by realtors (unless they just leave 'em there).

No signs on light poles or in the right of way.

Banners: 2 banners maximum 36 square feet 60 days per year. Except for car dealers and fast food restaurants. Don't you love political compromise.

On the latter point: there was a court decision that calls into question differentiating between signage permitted for different kinds of businesses.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am on teh ban them band wagon for portables. Took nearly 2 years, but in my last job we went from over 150 in the city to less than 20 through strict enforcement.

Having given this lots of thought and reworked our By-law a few times here are some provisions

SIGN means any identification, description, illustration or information device, illuminated or nonilluminated, including its structure and other component parts, which provides information as to product, place, activity, person, institution or business and is displayed on the exterior of a building or on a property. Does not include any sign which is affixed to the inside of a window or glass door.

Sign, Portable means a sign greater than one square metre and less than 4.3 square metres in area which is designed in such a manner that the sign can be readily relocated to provide advertising at another location or readily taken on and off a site, and may include copy that can be changed manually through the use of attachable characters, message panels or other means.

Sign, Sandwich means a two-sided A-frame style self-supporting sign which is not permanently affixed to the ground and designed to be moveable.

A few miscellaneous sections:

b) up to two real estate signs per lot. In a residential zone a real estate sign shall not exceed 0.8 square metres in sign area and in all other zones, 3 square metres;

h) no sign, except a billboard sign or a directory sign, shall be erected on a property
    unless the sign indicates the nature or ownership of a business conducted on the
    property upon which the sign is located, unless application has been made and
    approval granted by the Commission;

i) no sign except for a portable sign or sandwich sign or a sign indicating a disable
    parking space, or a temporary sign shall be placed or erected on a property unless
    the sign is permanently set into the ground or affixed to a building;

SANDWICH SIGNS
    5.4.7 Sandwich signs are permitted in all Commercial, Community Use and Industrial zones provides that no sandwich sign shall:
    a) exceed a single-faced area of 0.5 square metres;
    b) exceed one in number per business; nor
    c) obstruct pedestrian or vehicular traffic along any publicly owned land such as
    a sidewalk or street right-of-way.

PORTABLE SIGNS
    5.4.8 Portable signs shall be permitted in, Community Use, Industrial, Commercial, other than the Central Commercial zones, subject to the following:
    a) one portable sign, plus one additional portable sign for each 45 metres of frontage,with a maximum of three (3) portable signs on any property;
    b) maximum sign area of 4.3 square metres; and
    c) shall be located on the same lot as the business or activity it is associated with.

One of life's little mercies right now is that signs are not controoled through the zoning by-law here so I don't have to think about them. PM if you want the entire By-law.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Our city bans all portables but allow banners, flags, balloons, etc. for 30 days per year. We also require a permit for all temp signs, though we don't charge a fee for processing. I think it keeps the city looking good, and many legit businesses agree, but I get a bizzillion complaints from transient merchants. I've been called me the Sign Nazi...sigh...

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We have completely banned "wind" signs, which eliminated all flags and banners but also those big blow-up King Kongs, etc. at the car lots. Portables are allowed, though (go figure!), which makes no sense to me whatsoever. We actually allow one portable sign per parcel, which really junks up strip centers.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    All portable, pedestal, and a frame's are banned. Banners can be displayed w/ a permit, max of 21 consecutive days in any 6 month period if on the building, 7 if in the landscaping. Certain holidays do not require a permit.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Sail banners/signs?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Apr 2014, 2:56 PM
  2. Sponsorship programs for community banners
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Jan 2011, 12:38 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 1:28 PM
  4. Light pole banners sponsored by private business?
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 15 Oct 2008, 9:06 PM
  5. Downtown banners, municipal lightposts and wind load
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Mar 2008, 12:02 PM