Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Birthdays, anniversaries etc. around holidays

Registered
    Feb 2004

Birthdays, anniversaries etc. around holidays

My sister-in-law's birthday is on Halloween. Their anniversary is also on Halloween. I cannot understand why they chose this day to get married. It seems to me that you've got this holiday that's stealing your thunder. I also feel sorry for folks who have birthdays really near Christmas. I bet they got cheated as kids in the gift department. The folks in this situation that I've confronted on the matter usually say 'it makes the day more special' but I remain sceptical.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yes, my boyfriends birthday is Dec 22 and he turns the big 40 this year, I wanted to throw him some big party with all his friends but everyone is busy or headed out of town and every weekend is packed with other stuff that must be done.

I got him a nice gift and Ill take him to a nice dinner but no big fun 40 party for him.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Mrs. G's birthday is February 12, so when we were flush with cash (read: before kids) she made out like a bandit. Now she usually gets the *birthentine* day present.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My niece was born on Halloween. I think I have mentioned before that I was born on Groundhog Eve.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I was born on Groundhog Eve.
    LOL! I love that - 'Groundhog Eve'. Makes it sound like there's lots of anticipation associated with the 'event' ("....Yeah Charlie, only three weeks till Groundhog day. Are you and the wife planning anything special for Groundhog Eve?".....)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Mrs. G's birthday is February 12,
    Hey that's my Birthday.

The only person I know that has a kind of odd birthday was a girl I dated in College. Her birthday was April 1, NO JOKE. It really was.

I played a few tricks on her. Like wrapping up a box of heavy household items or clothes out of her dresser in a box and giving them to her for her birthday.

One year she refused to open any of my gifts after the first one she opened had a bunch of her dirty underware in them. I laughed my Butt off and she got pissed and left the room.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    My first child was born the day after my 22nd birthday (and my husband's birthday is also the same month) and my second child was born on our 5th wedding anniversary (which is close to Thanksgiving). I used to make birthday cakes on my birthday and anniversary for the kids and move "our" celebrations to a nearby weekend (or otherwise make an effort to seperate these events). However, now that I am legally separated, this year, we did a very low key noting of the kid's birthday and I completely forgot until the next day that it was also my 20th wedding anniversary. So I guess getting divorced is simplifying my life.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The future Mrs. SR & I started dating on Friday the 13th. Hasn't been bad luck for us though.

Two of my good friends have crappy birthdays. One is December 24th, and the other is a February 29th leap year baby.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    The future Mrs. SR & I started dating on Friday the 13th. Hasn't been bad luck for us though.

Two of my good friends have crappy birthdays. One is December 24th, and the other is a February 29th leap year baby.
    My birthday falls close to Thanksgiving. Seemed like we always were together with family for Thanksgiving and so my birthday just got rolled into it, the B-day cake had to compete with the pumpkin pie. And with Christmas so close to follow, ofen the Christmas list was used for the birthday. Yeah, probably half the loot I would have gotten if I were born in June.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

My B'day is 2 days before Holloween. It's always nice to have witches, skeletons, demons, vampires and other fun stuff as part of the birthday decor My Mom's B'day is the day after X-mas, which has always been a drag. We've ended up celebrating them together.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    my first sons b-day is Nov 22, always falls right around turkey day, my others sons b-day is Dec. 28...he is turning 3 this year and it will be the first time he has a b-day party because I planned it 2 weeks in advance...I don't think it makes it more special (especially for little ones), they dont get their "special day"....my ex-husbands and my fathers b-day are both on Jan 2, not much of a "party day" for most

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy birthdays nerudite and boiker
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 Mar 2013, 11:54 AM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 13 Aug 2008, 7:27 PM
  3. Holiday Birthdays
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 02 Feb 2008, 7:26 AM