+ Reply to thread

Thread: 20th Anniversary of Bhopal

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

20th Anniversary of Bhopal

Inlight of this anniversary
    Q. Are you involved in/contribute to your community's
    Local Emergency Planning Committee or LEPC ?

My answer is yes;
    I have contributed by helping write our community's Haz Mat Plan including demographics surrounding EHS sites and participating in annual drills.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I saw a special on it the other day. Just a few years ago Union Carbide finally made retitution to the survivors and families. Guess what? It appears an Indian life is pretty cheap in US dollars. No Tradgey Millionares were made there like we make them here. Shameful. Surely it is a glaring case of environmental racism. If I can see it through Republican eyes it must be bad.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    If I can see it through Republican eyes it must be bad.

Careful, your bleeding heart is showing. .

I agree, it was probably the worst case of environmental racism, so far. We still have a lot of dirty things in other places that can cause tragedys like this.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    When I was in grad school I took a class on Southeast Asia. One of the professors teaching it was an Indian and the other was American. In discussion of Bhopal, the American professor (who made a habit of pointing out what was wrong with the U.S.A. and what was great about India) put the blame of Bhopal on the United States. Essentially, that we shipped out our dangerous industries to Third World nations.

I took exception to that. It wasn't the United States that built the factory. The plant was constructed by and for a multi-national corporation. Our own textbook pointed out that 80 percent of the engineers and workers that designed and built the plant were Indian. Additionally, I found his conclusions that we were at fault because our environmental laws better protected our citizens.

What happened was a monumental tragedy. Those repsonsible apparently are getting off too easy and cheap. The point of this response is to say that in discussion of this awful occurrence we too often forget or ignore that some of the blame rests on those people in India who were involved (the engineers and workers and the government).
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    ...I found his conclusions that we were at fault because our environmental laws better protected our citizens....
    The Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) is Title III of the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986 (SARA) and is often referred to as SARA Title III. EPCRA was the United States congressional response to serious chemical incidents that occurred in Bhopal, India and Institute, West Virginia in the two years prior to its enactment. The incident in Bhopal resulted in 2,000 immediate fatalities. While the accident in West Virginia caused no fatalities, the circumstances were similar and aroused concern.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I saw a special on it the other day.
    I saw it too. Tragic and fascinating.

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Otter...

Accidents happen everywhere!!! Most of the top ranking engineering and technical schools of the world are filled primarily with the same engineers from India. We don't see things going wrong with their expertise elsewhere?The question is why did it happen only in India then?????The answer goes back again to companies taking advantage of less stringent environmental protection policies in India, which cannot be done in other countries.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Oct 2012, 9:29 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 25 Aug 2010, 2:58 PM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last post: 28 Jan 2008, 12:48 PM
  4. The 20th Century
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 57
    Last post: 30 Sep 2005, 4:26 PM