Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Turn Me On Dead Man: Share Your Backward Masking Memories

Registered
    Aug 2001

Turn Me On Dead Man: Share Your Backward Masking Memories

In the early 1980s at the tender age of 11, I was exposed to Jacob Aranza's Backward Masking Unmasked thanks to an older brother of mine who had just graduated from Rhema Bible College in Tusla, OK. He received his Associates in Jesus, an A. J. as I like to sometimes kid him, in 1983 and became a youth pastor at the local Assembly of God Church.

Because he didn't earn that much money from the church, he lived at home. This blessing afforded me the opportunity to be exposed to many inspirational pamplets and cassette tapes that incorporated a message of hope and eternal life while invoking the flames of hell, eternal damnation, the arrival of the anti-Christ, the prophecies of Revelations, and oozing sores in your groin region. Because of my brother's influence - I must have asked Jesus into my heart about 12 times before I became a horny teenager - I told everyone at my elementary school playground that rock-and-roll music was the work of the devil. As it turned out, everyone laughed at me and I didn't have many friends thereafter. During this period of lonliness, I became more deeply involved with God's machinations and his "plan" for my life.

Enter Jacob Aranza and his faux talk show, Backward Masking Unmasked, recorded on a cassette tape, available at any Zondervan Christian Bookstore in 1984. I have fond memories of listening to John Lennon sing "turn me on dead man" while playing Revolution #9 backwards. And let's not forget "my sweet satan" from Led Zepplin's Stairway to Heaven, and Queen's "let's smoke marijuana" when Another One Bites the Dust is played backwards. Wow, I miss all that kitschy Christian evangelical paranoia from the 1980s! Man, today's 21st Century Evangelical Christian has forgotten what it's like to party!

Has anyone else heard of this cassette tape? If so, why don't you share your memories with us? Also, if anyone has this cassette tape, I will gladly buy it from you. I yearn to hear that thing again!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Correction:
    Queen: Another one bites the dust = Starrrrrt toooo smookkkke Marrrrrrawannnnnaaa.

Really. I listened to it on a 33 1/3 backwards and then immediatly took up a two dobbie a day habit. Once I played the album correctly again my need for mary jane subsided.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I never heard the cassette, but my mom went to one of those meetings and came home in a lather about our "evil rock" records. Apparently, KISS was an acronymn for "Knights In Satan's Service". What a howler!!! And the Doobie Brothers were named after a marijuana cigarette. I still laugh thinking about it.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Apparently, if you play Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" backwards you get a recipe for a really good lentil soup.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I was wracking my brains trying to come up with something really funny to say on the topic, but it occurs to me that there's not much chance of contriving anything funnier than the 'phenomenon' of listening to records backwards itself...
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 1998
    My cassette copy of Stairway twisted on its own and then played only backwards..... That really freaked me out.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If it weren't for the emergence of CD's the backwards masking paranoia would still be here. But, then again, lyrics can now be more staightforward anyway. There's no need to hide lyrics like "Start Smoking Marajuana" when hit songs have similar lyrics.

Satan must be bummed that he hasn't been cool since the late 80's. Now that Headbangers Ball is back on MTV and metal is becoming more popular, I can pretty much guarantee that Satan will be cool again - especially as a teenage reaction against Red State conservative values. (Of course the kids' rebellion make the adults' conservatism even more extreme.) I've noticed more 14 year olds at the mall wearing brand new Iron Maiden shirts.

For every 62' Jesus statue in Monroe, OH, there will a local kid who's inspired to go to church, and another local kid who's inspired to draw pentagrams in his notebook to piss off his dad.

Last edited by Seabishop; 03 Dec 2004 at 11:41 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What is this masking you speak of?

It's a little known fact that Freddy Mercury stalked my grandfather, and the song Bohemian Rhapsody was written about the old bohunk himself

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Satan must be bummed that he hasn't been cool since the late 80's.
    Off-topic:
    Yeah, Satan is cool!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    My new turntable has a neutral setting, so I'll go home a spin a few. It seems like I ran across something on an early Van Halen album. UFO didn't even bother masking it. They start off one of there songs with obviously backwards english. HMMMM, let me see if I can ruin a needle next week.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Isn't there some obvious retro backward masking at the beginning of a Deaf Leopard song?

Yeetun yottin glow bin...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Interesting article
    Backward message
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backward_message
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Isn't there some obvious retro backward masking at the beginning of a Deaf Leopard song?
    That is actually the Swedish Chef from the Muppets. . . seriously.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    You can actually find many of these on websites on the internet. Also, we can still play around wtih backmasking today. Just record a cd track with the computer, play in soundrecorder in reverse.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2004
    I remember listening to one of Prince's cassette's in my buddy's car. The stereo was a total POS and occassionally would eat tapes. At one point it began playing the tape backwards during "Darling Nicky" and all we heard was Prince singing, "Jesus is coming, Jesus is coming" or somehting like that.

Maybe it was his attempt to offset the evils of Freddy Mercury.
    Last edited by spokanite; 03 Dec 2004 at 1:24 PM.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Don't forget Pink Floyd made fun of the whole thing on "The Wall" with "you have found the secret message" backwards.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I just hope noone plays a country song backwards. I really would like to have my dog come back to life and the pickup the bank would return was a good one but that third verse is a killer. The X comes back!!!!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    raeB

.daed si luaP
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hum.. anybody remembers about those satanic messages hidden in smufs episodes that you had to tape thema and watch them backwards to reveal the evil? lol

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    Don't forget Pink Floyd made fun of the whole thing on "The Wall" with "you have found the secret message" backwards.
    and I've heard that if you play that album/cd along with The Wizard of Oz beginning when the MGM lion roars, the songs coincide with the action on the scene. I wonder whats playng when dorothy is lying abed in a field of poppies?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Friend of Flavel
    I never heard the cassette, but my mom went to one of those meetings and came home in a lather about our "evil rock" records. Apparently, KISS was an acronymn for "Knights In Satan's Service". What a howler!!! And the Doobie Brothers were named after a marijuana cigarette. I still laugh thinking about it.
    We were always told it was "Kids in Satan's Service." Much scarier to those blind followers of the Catholic Church who felt priests could do no wrong.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow, gee whiz! I bought the book and cassette tape of Backward Masking Unmasked on e-bay last week and I just got it today! What a trip! What a trip down memory lane! That's some crazy stuff! It sure is different looking at this stuff 20-years later. The satan-paranoia is so kitshcy!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Reminds me of confirmation in 8th grade. The nuns asked us to come up with a song that was liked by all the kids. The Beatles had a daily cartoon show that was in syndication, and we were all being exposed to Beatles music for the first time in a big way in 1979 (I remember hearing the music as a kid in the car though).

We selected the Beatles 'Let it Be', it seemed fitting as it was a devotion to Mary. Well the nuns went nuts telling us it was short for 'Mary Jane', a slang term for drugs!

I still can't figure that one out, though I feel guilty everytime I hear the song now.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Overzealous Christians always crack me up. And I spent alot of time around them growing up.
    Last edited by mendelman; 19 Dec 2006 at 9:38 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Feb 2005, 3:58 PM
  2. Triggering memories
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 23 May 2004, 7:43 PM
  3. New Essay - Memories Are Made Up
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 2