Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I need to find another city!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

I need to find another city!

I am going over my goals and objectives as determined in my job description, and I found that once a year I need to meet with another community to see how they operate, look at specifics of their ordinance. When I return I then need to prepare a memo to the director on potential changes to our operations, services, and ordinances. But I need to find a city that has similar factors to mine. Suburb City of about 45,000 people, (Give or take 10 to 20K) that is not too far from SW Michigan. Does anyone want for me to come visit or does anyone have ideas on places I could check out?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    What a great idea! Your always welcome here, but we're only 10,500 population, surrounded by farms and lakes. What about Battle Creek? It's not a suburb city, but close in population.

Does it have to be a city? There are some charter townships that might be similar.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Follow these steps listed from the Census:

Q. How do I find states, counties, cities, towns, metropolitan areas, or urbanized areas ranked by Census 2000 population in American FactFinder?

Answer

1. Click the "People" button on the left menu of the Main Page of American FactFinder.
    2. Using the geography selection tool at the top of the page, select a State name, and click "GO."
    3. Under the heading 'Basic Counts/Population,' go to the section, 'Population, Housing Units, Land Area and Density.'
    4. Click on the link to the table "States ranked by population." The results will be a table (GCT-PH1-R) ranking all states in the United States by population.

For rankings of cities or towns in a state:

1. Follow steps 1-4 above, then:
    2. Use the "You are here" links (at the top of the page) to go to the Geography page. Make the following selections:
    - Geographic type - State
    - Select a State
    - Table type - State--Place and (in selected states) County Subdivisions.
    3. Click "Show Result."

http://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askcen...Z2U9MQ**&p_li=

Hope that helps
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If you do it right, you could manage to get in some skiing at the same time.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    If you do it right, you could manage to get in some skiing at the same time.
    Hmmm I wonder about Traverse City... not to far from Boyne Highlands. Hmmm

It is a shame that I can't do something out west.

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm sure there are a ton of Chi suburbs of c. 45k people.

We'd be an example of what not to do.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2004
    If you are looking for largish postwar suburban citys I suggest two suburbs of Dayton, Ohio...Huber Heights and Kettering. Both are within your size range...Kettering is larger, Huber is smaller, but both are in the 50,000-30,000 range, I think.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    The answer is probably one of the Chicago suburbs: Mount Prospect, Elk Grove Village (although this is a master-planned community), or Streamwood in the northwest; Wheaton, Villa Park, or Downers Grove in the west; or Orland Park, Tinley Park, Bolingbrook, or Lemont in the southwest. Keep in mind, however, that Chicago is an extremely large area and thus most suburbs have undergone a great deal of ethnoburbization and service specialization, so it is questionable how much similarity there will be with similar suburbs relatively equidistant to a smaller city. If you're willing to travel a bit further, Middleton, Wisconsin (a suburb of Madison) and Maple Grove, Minnesota (a suburb of Minneapolis) might also be good comparison places to your area in southwest Michigan.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Portage is much like a charter township, so don't rule out booming charter townships.

Look at Alpine Twp north of Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kentwood, Holland Twp, Cascade Twp (GR).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Chicago suburb of Glenview would be worth checking out, just to see the redevelopment of the air base. DeKalb is a college town of about 40-50,000, seventy miles west of Chicago on its urban fringe. Port Washington, Wisconsin might not be a bad choice.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by munibulldog
    Portage is much like a charter township, so don't rule out booming charter townships.

Look at Alpine Twp north of Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kentwood, Holland Twp, Cascade Twp (GR).
    I was thinking along these same lines. If you want to stay close to home, maybe look at Kentwood, Walker and Wyoming, suburbs of Grand Rapids.

Registered
    May 1997
    Traverse City has to be bit a frosty this time of year, but when Karen and I did the research for our book, we found it to be an interesting place, from a planning point of view. Take your x-c skiis.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    You might have to go to the suburbs of Detroit, or maybe down to northwest Indiana. Merrillville, Valparaiso and especially Mishawaka, Indiana come to mind.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Come to Detroit, as with Chicago lots of 45k sized suburbs. As a bonus, no annoying Chicago Sports fans... (just annoying Detroit ones!)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Come to Detroit, as with Chicago lots of 45k sized suburbs. As a bonus, no annoying Chicago Sports fans... (just annoying Detroit ones!)

I already eliminated Auburn Hills from my go to list.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Sep 2013, 11:03 PM
  2. Find one in every car. You'll see.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Nov 2010, 10:38 AM
  3. Help ID this find #2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 21 Jul 2009, 3:08 PM
  4. How to find - transit planning (small city)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Aug 2007, 3:52 AM
  5. need to find a new job
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Dec 2003, 7:49 PM