Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Blind Date Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Blind Date Thread

Reading through some other threads and posts inspired this thread: The Blind Date Thread.

Bear has been on a few in his "sheltered" life.....

About 1965.....my best friend's girlfriend set me up. We climbed in the car and talked about what we were going to do. She said, in a strangely husky voice, "I wanna play some baseball." Don't remember what we did that night but I ran into her about ten (10) years later. She was playing softball on a bar team that was mostly lesbians. (Not that there is anything wrong with that. )

1966.....had a blind date and a couple more dates, with a young woman from Ottawa, IL. I was living off and on in Chicago and even the drive from north Chicago to Ottawa was too much to keep the relationship going. I do distinctly remember it being my first major encounter with "king size sprawl". The area around Arlington Heights was where we went to the flicks and it was booming.

1967.....I was at a Whitmer High football game a year after I graduated. Standing in front of me was a gorgeous blonde, on a date with some tall guy. I told my friend Mickey that "she's cool" and thought no more about her. A week later, another friend set me up with a girl named "Anita". When I picked her up it was the same blonde. We had a great time and went out a few times after, until she moved away for college.

1968.....a friend of mine set me up on a blind date with a girl from Findlay, OH. We had a nice time but there was no "spark". (Some would read that last line as "no nookie".) On the trip back north to Toledo my old Plymouth Valiant's floor-mounted bright light swtich started on fire. I pulled into a gas station and the attendants told me that Martin Luther King had just been shot. It was ironic, because the girl who had set me up on the date was in Memphis, marching with the refuse workers and Doctor King.

My vision returned in 1969 and I no longer needed to be "set-up".

Bear Thinking About The Tall Drink Of Water Named Anita
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I have a blind date tomorrow... I will let you know it goes.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I have a blind date tomorrow... I will let you know it goes.
    If she says she wants to "play baseball".....run for it. (Or grab your camera. )

Seriously, good luck and have a for me.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    There was the guy who got naked in my living room while I was making coffee. Thank god I was able to push him out the front door. Worst blind date ever. I will not even go into his anatomical failings...

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    There was the guy who got naked in my living room while I was making coffee. Thank god I was able to push him out the front door. Worst blind date ever. I will not even go into his anatomical failings...
    OMG, you reminded me of this story.....

My ex-wife, Donna, before she met me, went on a blind date with a guy who must have been a refuge' from the mental hospital. When he came into her house, her mother had him wait in the living room. When Donna and her mom came back into the living room he was re-arranging the furniture, saying that he needed to "make an altar".

In spite of this, she actually still got in the car and started on the date!

(She married me so her choices in life were somewhat suspect.)

They stopped at a gas station. He went over to another person pumping gas, lit a match and held it close to the nozzle, saying, "Do you want to meet God?"

The police were immediately called and Donna's "big adventure" was over.

Bear, Hopefully Meeting All Of The Anatomical Needs Of The Western World
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Was that too forward? Should I have left the underoos on?
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Jul 2003
    So he was still naked? Did you toss his clothes after him?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Fun times with women you meet at the bar and then date later. Ahhhhhhhh memories. Better get the ______ out
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I've been set up more than a few times or had to be the wing man for a buddy.

The bst one I think was when I ended up going to her friend's house and we both slept on the couch. I woke up in the middle of the night, thinking I was at my friend's place, did not bother putting my glasses on and walked into a glass coffee table, shattering it. The worst part was that my glassses where now in the pile of broken glass and I could not see well enough to find them to escape and had to wait for everyone else to wake up. Alcohol was a factor. Maybe I should be telling this one in the worst hangover thread.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2003
    ZG, that's what you get for having coffee in the evening.
    You see if it were in the moring after a great night you wouldn't have any complaints about him being naked in the livingroom.

Like I say...It is all a matter of perspective!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I guess I've led a sheltered and uninteresting life. I've never been on a blind date. Weird, huh?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You haven't told me that story.....My worse blind date was this guy turned out to be heavy into astrology and told me that I was the "woman in the stars meant for him". I got out of there as fast as I could.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    One blind date. I was in 9th grade and he was a senior. We became acquainted over the phone, introduced by a friend who liked his brother. I had a date with a SENIOR! The balloon burst when I saw him walking up the house. He was kind of heavy, the flabby way, had wire glasses, was beginning to lose hair and was a little feminine. He looked like a balding granny. No more dates with him.

I still saw him around. Funny, he got thin, I got fat. His hair was fake, mine real. But he is a nice guy. And if I found myself dating again for some reason, someone's hairline wouldn't make a difference.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I had a bind date who forgot to tell me that she was married. I only found out when the guy punched me as her and I where having a drink at a bar. He hit me, I ask him what was his problem, he said "What the F*&^ are you doing with my wife?"

I looked at her, and back at him, and told her that this was all BS and that she has issues, then I told the guy that she never said that she was married.

I have many many other stories about BAD blind dates.... but I will save them for a later post.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I guess I've led a sheltered and uninteresting life. I've never been on a blind date. Weird, huh?
    I don't find it weird at all considering that I've never been on a blind date myself.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    So he was still naked? Did you toss his clothes after him?
    No, I let him get dressed, but my dog really wanted to practice "attack" so the moron scurried away rather quickly...

P.S. Think "vienna". Ick.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Well, my blind date just left, and it was not all that bad. Actually, I think that we are going to go out again. We went to my City Christmas Tree Lighting, and ended up running into all sorts of people that I work with, and of course they wondered who she was so she was introduced to all sorts of people. She passed that test and was good with it. Then we went to a nicer sports bar/restaurant for drinks. Well it is in one of the local hotels, and there was some big formal business party going on in the banquette rooms. I love going to those types of things, but she mentioned that she enjoys those types of thing even before I could say anything. So she passed that test.

Other good things:
    She is also from the Upper Peninsula
    She is a conservative
    She is religious
    She is a RED WINGS FAN
    She is social
    She is quite attractive (in a Jody Foster type of way)

All in all, I would have to say that this was one of the better blind dates I have been on.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I don't find it weird at all considering that I've never been on a blind date myself.
    I'm in the same boat... of course, I'm married to the only woman I ever really dated. So I haven't "dated" much at all.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Blind dates huh? Well I think that's just... not for me. (I controlled myself so the ones who like it don't feel offended)

Oh well.. I have tons (0) of experience in dating so I have no need to do blind dating (yeah right I bet that's the only way anybody could set me up with anybody)

Ok, I shut up now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Fun times with women you meet at the bar and then date later. Ahhhhhhhh memories. Better get the ______ out
    Hey guess what, I met the guy I'm seeing now, in a bar one night! We chatted for a while, then he asked if he could have my number, and we went out on a date a few days later. That was 2 months ago and things are going great!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Once in high school, I was set up on a blind date. Wait, maybe it was even middle school. Anyways, I was delighted that my friend and her boyfriend wanted to set me up with someone. In hindsight (a few days later) it occurred to me that SHE wouldn't have been allowed to go out with him alone, so I HAD to go with them. They brought him along so it appeared as if they were doing me a favor. Tricky tricky.

Are dates with ppl you met on the internet "blind dates"?

I would most certainly entertain the idea of a blind date... I can't seem to find dates on my own, I'll take a hand out! I've even told people at work to start looking for guys to hook me up with!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The only semi-blind date I had was when a couple I knew took me along clubbin' in college so I could meet their single friend. First of all, I didn't go clubbin' so I had to stand there and bob my head to the Stevie B. all night and not seem look like too much of a dork. I actually thought she was pretty nice though (didn't seem like a "club girl"), but was told soon after that "she's not ready to see anyone." Guess I wasn't a good enough dancer.

When my wife was single her neighbor would ambush her into coming into her house, and then try to fix her up with her very overweight nephew. The woman bragged that he was a "comedian" but he had the exact opposite personality - serious and creepy.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    The woman bragged that he was a "comedian" but he had the exact opposite personality - serious and creepy.
    Maybe that was his schtick?

Quote Originally posted by clare2582
    I can't seem to find dates on my own, I'll take a hand out! I've even told people at work to start looking for guys to hook me up with!
    Watch out, now that we know you are single, you'll be "hassled" just like Plannergirl and JNL were in the old days.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Been on a whopping 2 blind dates, and neither worked out for the long term.

First was the son of a coworker's mom's best friend, who supposedly liked a lot of the same things I did (sci-fi/fantasy books, movie types and same TV shows) and was a year older than I. During dinner we found out that really the only thing we had in common is that we are carbon-based life forms. We still went to a movie after dinner, because we both really wanted to see it.

Second was worse. He was a coworker's brother. After spending dinner trying to get him to talk (think a lot of one syllable answers) he then trapped me against my car and tried to put his hand up my skirt in the parking lot. I left him clutching his *sensitive* area and drove home. My coworker never asked how the date went, so I think she heard about it from him.

While I never swore off blind dates, I did find reasons not to agree to them after that experience.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

I have had three blind dates, two turned out well and one was horrible.

When I was in high school a co-worker set me up with his ex-girlfriend. It was kind of strange, but I went along with it. She was really cool and more attractive than I had assumed. I ended up bringing her home like an hour after he curfew because we went to Milwaukee’s Summerfest and had a hell of a time getting out of the parking lot. We went out a couple more times and both decided we were too different, so she set me up with her best friend who I had met a couple times.

In college I met this girl online in a punk music usenet group. She saw that I went to the same college and started e-mailing me. We talked on the phone a few times and made plans to go out for coffee. I was waiting at our pre-determined meeting space and she started walking towards me and (I know this is going to sound shallow) but she was not attractive at all. She was very homely and there was no attraction at all. I thought about saying “Um no, I am not Repo Man” and walked away. But I didn’t. I figured I would see what happens, maybe she was really cool. Well in order to not run into any friends I took her to this dark cocktail lounge where they are famous for serving these super-potent cocktails where you drink 2 and you are pretty much drunk. Well I had three of ‘em so I was pretty drunk. She was so annoying, very dull, and probably had some mental health issues. I ended up dropping her off and going to another bar to meet some friends.

The last blind date was with this woman from Chicago while I was in Grad School. She worked with a female friend of mine and saw me in a group picture on her desk. My friend said this girl wanted to meet me so I gave her my number. The first time we talked we were on the phone for like 3 hours. We made plans to go out and we had an awesome time. We talked on the phone a few more times and then she quit calling or returning my calls. Well a few months go by and I started dating someone else. She calls me out of the blue saying she missed talking to me and wanted to go out again. I flat out asked her why she blew me off and she said it was something about some issues with her male roommate that she didn’t want to talk about I can only assume that they started dating and then something happened between them and she moved out. I e-mailed her a couple of times and she found out through my friend that worked with her that I was dating someone else.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Color Blind
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Aug 2011, 8:28 AM
  2. Date Display
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Jul 2009, 12:03 PM