Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Server performance issues (update: future migration to new server)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Server performance issues (update: future migration to new server)

The past couple of weeks, we've gotten huge spikes on the server load around 11:00 AM Eastern time, without a corresponding increase in traffic. Its a difficult time to diagnose the problem, since I'm at work. I'll do some digging, and see what's up.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    We seem to be getting a LOT of activity from IP addresses in Russia and The Ukraine during times when the server slows down.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    The past couple of weeks, we've gotten huge spikes on the server load around 11:00 AM Eastern time, without a corresponding increase in traffic. Its a difficult time to diagnose the problem, since I'm at work. I'll do some digging, and see what's up.
    Seems like the slowdown is not limited to that timeframe.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Looking into upgrading the server.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Tweaking current server settings during the day. Apologies in advance for inconsistent performance.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have been having some issues for the past two weeks. Not sure if it is really between any specific hours. The search seems slow, and page refreshing is very slow.

Hmm.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    ^Me too. Seems like thread pages have been taking much longer to load

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The thing that's weird about Cyburbia now is that we're getting a heavier load on the server, but it doesn't seem to be coming with a corresponding increase in the number of users on the site at any given time. Only a small amount of the increase in server load can be attributed to vBulletin 4. The server started slowing down about four weeks ago, and there wasn't a corresponding bump in traffic that could account for it. I also wasn't able to find any evidence of denial-of-service attacks. The only thing I can think of is that there's a extremely busy site that is now sharing the same VPS node as Cyburbia.

I've been tweaking the server configuration, but it's a short-term solution. It's a balancing act.

Anyhow, I'm probably going to upgrade to a new server at the same host. There shouldn't be a huge increase in cost on my end, but there might be a weekend when the site is changing IP addresses, and folks will get lost.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Trying some settings that should work for the short term. I'm doing a bit of smoke testing.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Okay, got the new server. Same host/data center, based out of Lansing, Michgan. I'll probably migrate either during the night sometime next week, or next weekend.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Still on the old server, but in the meantime, before we migrate the site, I'm trying some server configuration settings that seem to have helped somewhat. Things won't be blazing fast during peak hours, but it's better than before.

The slowdowns don't seem to be related to Cyburbia, but rather some other site on the node. At least this gives us a good opportunity to upgrade.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Not sure if this is related but occasionally it takes 30+ minutes for new posts to show up in threads. Like I can see the thread was bumped and who did it but I can't actually read the post. What's weird is it will do it for some posts but not others that were posted in other threads around the same time.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Didn't get around to the server migration this weekend. I'll try to get to it in the next few days.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Server issues: September 2012
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Oct 2012, 9:52 AM
  2. Server issues: an update
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Apr 2009, 11:54 AM
  3. Server issues: November 2008
    Cyburbia Issues and Help