Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rules discussion thread

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Rules discussion thread

This thread is for discussion and clarification of the Cyburbia Forums Zoning Ordinance/By-Law/Scheme; the board's rules and guidelines.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dan, may I ask what brought this up? I'm sure I've knowingly and unknowingly violated more than one of the rules, and for that, I apologize to everyone. The fact is, I'm probably violating one with this post.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Dan, may I ask what brought this up? I'm sure I've knowingly and unknowingly violated more than one of the rules, and for that, I apologize to everyone. The fact is, I'm probably violating one with this post.
    You're not.

I just wanted to make the rules a bit more organized, that's all. They really haven't changed from what they were before, when they were scattered among many different posts. Don't worry about the Wrath of Mod for minor infractions, or tippeetoeing so you don't break them. We're not Forum Nazis here.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2006

Job postings?

Where in Cyburbia is it appropriate (if at all) to post a planning job vacancy?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    job announcements can be posted at the Kiosk.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004

Advice on multiple postings of different subject matters

Regarding Item 2.6: Is there any instance in which two posts in a row by the same author are permitted? I've never cared about post-padding and this would not be an instance of low-content posting (e.g. "me too", just a URL, etc.). There is a long thread to which I've just responded once and I wish to respond separately to an entirely different post earlier on in the thread which has a very different content that I feel warrants a separately-posted response. In other words, it wouldn't make sense to me to simply edit my previous post and "tack on" material that is of a quite different aspect. (To say nothing of the increased difficulty of formatting quotes in this approach.) Am I permitted, in democratic fashion, to make this decision - or will moderators step in and condense my second, new message into my earlier message (which, as I say, is relatively unrelated, though still part of the same thread of course)?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by RSW
    Regarding Item 2.6: Is there any instance in which two posts in a row by the same author are permitted? I've never cared about post-padding and this would not be an instance of low-content posting (e.g. "me too", just a URL, etc.). There is a long thread to which I've just responded once and I wish to respond separately to an entirely different post earlier on in the thread which has a very different content that I feel warrants a separately-posted response. In other words, it wouldn't make sense to me to simply edit my previous post and "tack on" material that is of a quite different aspect. (To say nothing of the increased difficulty of formatting quotes in this approach.) Am I permitted, in democratic fashion, to make this decision - or will moderators step in and condense my second, new message into my earlier message (which, as I say, is relatively unrelated, though still part of the same thread of course)?
    The only time mods do not combine multiple posts is if there is a gap of more than an hour between posts (unless it's an obvious attempt to "bump" a thread). Otherwise, expect the mods to merge the posts for thread readability.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What rates as a sticky ?

Why does promoting a new book in the Announcement Tread rate being a sticky ?

I had commented/posted about it the other day and that thread was deleted but the announcement is back why ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What rates as a sticky ?

Why does promoting a new book in the Announcement Tread rate being a sticky ?

I had commented/posted about it the other day and that thread was deleted but the announcement is back why ?
    From the Announcements: please read this before you post post:

APA chapter sites usually charge between $25 and $50 to post an announcement. Other planning-related sites charge up to $100 for an announcement. On Cyburbia, there is no charge for posting an announcement to this subforum. However, if you are joining Cyburbia only to post an announcement, or you ask the webmaster to post for you, we would appreciate a donation of US$20. Announcements accompanied by a donation will be made "sticky" at the top of this page. Donations may be sent via PayPal to cyburbia (аt) cyburbia (dоt) org.
    The sticky is one way of saying "thanks!".

Any correspondence or work involving financial transactions related to Cyburbia is conducted when I'm home, using my home computer and Internet connection.

Registered
    Mar 2004

GorK......

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....Snort............GACK......caugh.........huh........oh gawd a rules thread.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003

Posting on more than one board?

Hello,

I know it's not kosher to flood several boards with a thread, but is there a way I can at least get it on two? Namely, transportation and land-use? I've got "Impact of bridge/street connections" on transportation right now, but since I'm getting any replies, I suspect the land use board might be more insightful.

So, without having to rewrite the whole thing, is there a way I can transfer/post that to the land use forum?

Thanks,

Scott

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tall Fella' View post
    Hello,

I know it's not kosher to flood several boards with a thread, but is there a way I can at least get it on two? Namely, transportation and land-use? I've got "Impact of bridge/street connections" on transportation right now, but since I'm getting any replies, I suspect the land use board might be more insightful.

So, without having to rewrite the whole thing, is there a way I can transfer/post that to the land use forum?

Thanks,

Scott
    Moderator note:
    I would say that since your thread deals mainly with the impacts and outcomes of a transportation system component (ie bridge), the thread should stay in the Transportation subforum. Your thread only deals with land use in a very tangential way. The Land Use & Zoning subforum is mainly for discussions of land use management codes and questions.

And, sometimes, threads just don't get much traffic. It's the nature of the beast.
    Last edited by mendelman; 13 Dec 2007 at 5:59 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Permission to use photos?

Hi Dan -

I'm a student at The Conway School of Landscape Design working on a project in southern Maine to create village centers. I was hoping you'd be ok with me using some of your photos from Chagrin Falls, OH, in my project? I'd be happy to include whatever copyright information you'd like with the photos. Could you please let me know whether or not you'd be ok with this idea? Thanks!

~Jeanette

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4379
    Last post: 09 Dec 2014, 11:54 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Sep 2013, 9:26 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Apr 2013, 3:53 PM
  4. The Dating Rules thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45