Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Image Attachments 101

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

Image Attachments 101

Here's the ultimate guide to all cyburbianites that want to attach gallery images into a post in the Forums.

Step 1: Go to the gallery
    Step 2: Click on the desired thumbnail
    Step 3: Right click on image
    Step 4: Select properties
    Step 5: Copy URL of image
    Step 6: Put [IMG] tags on url in post.

Example:
    Copied url: http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data..._Mar-1-med.JPG

Now with [IMG] tags:

Remember to always close your tags with a [/IMG]!

Dan, Please make this thread sticky!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I noticed that several of my images were deleted (I assume recently). I guess I must have violated this policy:

"Images must be related to the built environment

The Gallery is intended for to be a showcase of images related to planning and the built environment. Personal images should be uploaded only to the Temporary Images gallery. Personal images outside the termporary image directory will be deleted immediately; otherwise, they will be deleted one week after they are uploaded."

I guess there will be lots of images deleted soon....back 'em up folks.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I noticed that several of my images were deleted (I assume recently). I guess I must have violated this policy:
    Actually, I just deleted a bunch of images that were misplaced in the oft-practiced, time-dishonored Cyburbia tradition I like to call ...

[Game show-style audience shout-out]
    "I don't know where else to put it, so I think I'll just place it in Best Practices!"
    [/Game show-style audience shout-out]

Dining room tables and abandoned gas stations don't qualify as examples of "best practice" in the minds of most planners. I didn't delete any images in other categories, so yours may have been misdirected Best Practices images.

As far as images that don't relate to the built environment, we tend to look past the rule if they 1) are really kinda' temporary, 2) don't dominate your gallery, and 3) are placed in a sub-gallery you've created.

I'm looking at creating a personal image category; one where the image thumbnails don't display on the gallery preview page. That's been my major peeve with personal images so far; certainly not that they're not photos of trash enclosure screening walls or examples of bad access management, but that a blue-shirt looking for images will visit the Gallery, and see nothing but thumbnails of puppies on the front page. If I can create a category where people can store personal photos, but thumbnails of those images aren't displayed on the Gallery main page, I'd say go nuts.

The Gallery is still broken in some areas after the move. There's still a lot of broken stuff I have to fix. I'm recovering from the flu, so I'm trying to get to it as time permits.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I deleted a bunch of images, too.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    RJ, I deleted a few of your images (your pizzas) from the temporary images folder as per standard operating procedure - we usually delete images from that folder after a couple of weeks, hence the "temporary" moniker.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    RJ, I deleted a few of your images (your pizzas) from the temporary images folder as per standard operating procedure - we usually delete images from that folder after a couple of weeks, hence the "temporary" moniker.
    Ditto. I cleaned out the Temporary Images gallery yesterday, anything older than 2 weeks was axed.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2005

J. Seward Johnson's bronze of a commuter at the Grand Circus Park People Mover station. Nice.

Another run of picture tests

Click image for larger version

Name:	Philly JFK Park.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	3277

Name:	South Philly McDonalds.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	3278

Name:	Tilting to Cloud Gate.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	3279
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 20 Apr 2006 at 9:46 AM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Are my Google Earth images OK? I just put them there so I could link to them from the forum (I can't upload to my personal webserver from work). I put them in my personal gallery because I didn't know where else.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    As a general rule, images that are attached to Forum thread go to the Temporary Images folder, rather than the user's personal gallery. Why? Because it's easier for us mods to track down old Temp images in the corresponding folder rather than checking the members personal galleries..

Registered
    Jan 2005

trial run

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller

trial run
    you're linking to the page the images are displayed on, not the images......
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2005

test

i have tested 3 times.now i succeed.my pic is too large,so i delete it.
    Last edited by ruhan; 10 Sep 2005 at 6:51 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004

test

This is a test and only a test. If this were an actual image it would already appear.

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    This is a test and only a test. If this were an actual image it would already appear.

Is anyone else having trouble viewing this?
    First its not there
    I can view it at its url
    go "back" to this page and its here
    "refresh" and its gone again

Same with the pic in the Muslim head dress thread

Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing this?
    First its not there
    I can view it at its url
    go "back" to this page and its here
    "refresh" and its gone again

Same with the pic in the Muslim head dress thread
    Has to be a setting on my work computer. Works fine at home
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 20 Apr 2006 at 9:45 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    testing 123
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003

Clueless Chimes In

And maybe we can also link to an explanation of (or explain in this thread) how to do attachments? With a limit of 500 x 500 (pixels, I presume), it sounds to me like a lot of temporary images would work fine as attachments. I confess that I don't know how to do attachments on Cyburbia. So I am guessing lots of other people don't either.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    And maybe we can also link to an explanation of (or explain in this thread) how to do attachments? With a limit of 500 x 500 (pixels, I presume), it sounds to me like a lot of temporary images would work fine as attachments. I confess that I don't know how to do attachments on Cyburbia. So I am guessing lots of other people don't either.
    Moderator note:
    Post moved to image attachments 101 thread.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    SkeL – If you’re going to start deleting images from my gallery that are not related to “the build environment”, that’s fine. This is not my house and I’ll play by the rules. But I expect equal treatment.

Anybody else receive the PM from SkeL?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 1999
    SkeL – If you’re going to start deleting images from my gallery that are not related to “the build environment”, that’s fine. This is not my house and I’ll play by the rules. But I expect equal treatment.

I didn't get one.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

As I explained in the PM I deleted the images from you gallery that I thought belonged in the Temporary Images Category and were from over 2 weeks old. And I also recomended you to upload all your forum attachments to said category instead of your member gallery. Those are the rules.

Forum attachments include:
    -Caption contests
    -GTCs (which can be saved to their corresponding cities an places category after the GTC has ended and the title has been modified to comply with the rules)
    - Normal Image attachments in forum posts that are not related to the built enviroment.

This one goes to all. When uploading images for caption contests, GTCs, or general image attachments not related to the built enviroment, upload the to the TEMPORARY IMAGES category NOT your member gallery, or you can choose to upload them in other sites like imageshack.us or any other hotlink friendly hosts detailed in this post

Oh and RJ, I only sent you a PM because you're the most frequent and reiterative offender of this rule, but I do moderate all other galleries, like the rest of the Moderators.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh, so I am being singled out. As I said, that’s fine. Be forewarned, I could fill your message box up with PMs linking images that should be deleted….marriage pictures, vacations, pets, toys, children, cartoons, fireworks, ultrasounds, pool floaties, desk forts, home improvement projects, those stupid playing cards, and anything else that is not relevant to the build environment. While you’re at it, why don’t you delete all the Ale-fest albums, too? They have noting to do with the build environment. You could have your work cut out for you. Like I said, I want equal treatment. You getting the idea?

BTW, I thought we had this discussion a couple of months ago.

EDIT: on second thought, maybe I'll just stop posting images.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Oh, so I am being singled out. As I said, that’s fine. Be forewarned, I could fill your message box up with PMs linking images that should be deleted….marriage pictures, vacations, pets, toys, children, cartoons, fireworks, ultrasounds, pool floaties, desk forts, home improvement projects, those stupid playing cards, and anything else that is not relevant to the build environment. While you’re at it, why don’t you delete all the Ale-fest albums, too? They have noting to do with the build environment. You could have your work cut out for you. Like I said, I want equal treatment. You getting the idea?

BTW, I thought we had this discussion a couple of months ago.

EDIT: on second thought, maybe I'll just stop posting images.
    You're missing the point completely... Forum Attachments go in the Temporary Images Category and not in the Member's Gallery, that's the whole point, nothing else.

Ale-fests stay in the gallery because it's part of the community, and personal images (that don't classify as forum attachment, like caption contests and GTCs) are allowed in the gallery.

My whole point is that you and others (in a lesser extent) are using the Member Galleries like it was the Temporary Images category.
    And you know what? From now on I won't continue to send notifications... Consider yourselves warned... so if your attachments misteriously changes to a red X it's not my problem.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I saved you some of your valuable time and deleted my images from the temp file that seemed to bother you. I'll go thru my gallery and delete more that you would probably find violate your precious rules.

Haven't you heard the golf saying: Summer rules, and some aren't.

EDIT: I got most of them....except the slipper pics. They're staying. Pics of my sons and me are gone. Anything else? Help yourself.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 06 Aug 2006 at 10:26 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I think I said it above, and I'll repeat it here once again so it's clear of everyone.

The things that ARE allowed in the Gallery (and that don't belong in the Temp Images) are:
    -Built enviroment pics (duh!)
    -Personal Images (to some extent.... don't put your whole family album up, but we don't frown upon a few personal and family pics)
    -Community Pics (Alefests, meetings, etc)

Things that belong in the Temp Images:
    -Forum attachments in general (that don't meet the categories above), such as Guess the.... contests, Caption Contests, etc...

And RJ, please don't get mad, it's just that the whole purpose of the Cyburbia Gallery is to hold pics of the Built Enviroment and of course some pics from the Cyburbia Community, but not your Forum attachments, and that's why at first we created the Temporary Images gallery, and of course we recomed to use a hotlink friendly site. (See this thread)

Registered
    Feb 2006

trial run

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is more cowbell!" - Bruce Dickinson

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Apr 2010, 12:05 PM
  2. File attachments
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Mar 2006, 9:05 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Dec 2005, 11:55 AM
  4. Deleted message attachments