Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: E-MAIL disasters!!

Registered
    Feb 2003

E-MAIL disasters!!

Has anyone ever sent an email to the wrong place they wish they could take back?

Someone in my class asked for a breakdown of his grade and I just sent the email to the entire class!!! I knew the second I hit send that it was going to the “wrong” place!! I am sure this guy is going to be upset (I have already sent an apology email)!! Worse yet: He has a very good grade (deserved) and people might wonder why their grade is not as good and come in droves to question me! What should I do? I asked the director and there is nothing I can do but apologize to the guy.

So any good suggestions or other email stories out there?
    Last edited by H; 06 Dec 2004 at 12:48 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mine is not nearly so bad. I have a habit of opening my e-mails and then leaving open those that I need to reply to, doing so only after I have read them all. I was supposed to give a presentation to a group, and replied to the wrong e-mail asking that they have a projector for me. Of course it went to the wrong person. When I shoed up to give my presentation, there was no projector, and when I showed up the next morning for a meeting, they all expected me to present something.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm in the Planning and Engineering group within the Planning and Engineering Division. When I was sending out invitations to a party I sent it to the division e-mail group (about 300 people) instead of the 45 or so I intended to send it to in the work group. Luckily I sent it after work hours and I was able to get back most of the e-mails before anyone realized it. Boy did I feel stupid though.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I emailed the wrong cover letter once. After I sent the correct one I'm sure my application went straight to the idiot bin...
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Has anyone ever sent an email to the wrong place they wish they could take back?

Someone in my class asked for a breakdown of his grade and I just sent the email to the entire class!!! I knew the second I hit send that it was going to the “wrong” place!! I am sure this guy is going to be upset (I have already sent an apology email)!! Worse yet: He has a very good grade (deserved) and people might wonder why their grade is not as good and come in droves to question me! What should I do? I asked the director and there is nothing I can do but apologize to the guy.

So any good suggestions or other email stories out there?
    In Groupwise you can retract a sent email if you goto the "send" folder and right-click on the errant message and select delete.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I forget to attach stuff. Usually when emailing funny pics to friends and coworkers, but it began to happen when emailing documents to clients as well as consultants. It was pretty embarrassing to get a email on monday morning saying "I did not get the attached doc. that was due Friday..."
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Got one....

Once had a consultant cc me on a nasty gram e-mail he sent to his buddies regarding my changing my mind on a project issue.....Very bad things said.....I just let him know that I got it and left it at that.......much more uncomfortable for him for a longer amount of time....he did apologize later, saying that he was under a lot of pressure from his boss to make us happy....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2003
    There have been many times when I said a little email prayer that I said the right thing.

I got an email the other day that should have been considered a goof...

Something like this. Would like to schedule an interview for Monday at 5pm. If there is any problem call my office Monday.
    and they signed it.

So the name was my only clue, so I check all the letters I have sent out and no name match. I only have one blind ad that I responded to so figure that must be how they got my resume. But still no idea who it is. So I finally have to write back and say I would love to come but I have no idea where or for what position. Finally Monday afternoon, my husband decides to google the name.

It was for an Attorney, ex County Attorney that thought everyone should know who she was.... Well that explained it all.
    I did go for the interview. They were offering a whopping $6.50 an hour. I make more on unemployment.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    In Groupwise you can retract a sent email if you goto the "send" folder and right-click on the errant message and select delete.
    The same functionality is available in MS Outlook. You find the item in Sent Items, open the email, select Actions from the top menu bar and the second last option on the drop down menu is Recall This Message.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I wish I had a recall program, but dont. I even called tech support... nada.

Oh, well... the person is not mad....

But know I now the EVIL power of Email

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Those groupwise and outlook hacks will only work if the recepient is on the same system as you. If you send it out over the internet, there is no way to recall it. Even with those programs.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Nothing horrible from this end, really; maybe in my e-mail list days, a message that wuld have been intended for one member got sent out to the entire list; I reliied to the list address instead of the sender. Why do planners love their creaky, ancient mailing lists so much, anyhow?

Moderator note:
    (Dan) Speaking of e-mail disasters ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    ^-- Those groupwise and outlook hacks will only work if the recepient is on the same system as you. If you send it out over the internet, there is no way to recall it. Even with those programs.
    that was my implication. The students email was probably addresses issued by the university and therefore retractable.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    E-mail disasters: Posting 8 or 10 times to an e-mail list while in a manic state, awake for 40 hours straight due to drug withdrawal. Someone publically asked the list owner to unsub/ban me. A year later, this same person was still holding a grudge and when there was some friction on the list, announced that "all problems on this list are solely due to ONE person, who should be removed from the list -- other than that, we never have any problems"...or words along those lines. He probably still hates my guts. That's okay. I don't have a sterling opinion of him either.

I have also sent things to an e-mail list that I intended for a friend and it actually had nothing at all to do with the list, I just inadvertently clicked on the wrong address and didn't realize it.

I also once hit 'send' when I meant to hit "save to drafts" and it was in a pre-edited state with less than PC language and I had to apologize for the inflammatory tone, explain that I was tired and medicated and really didn't mean for it to go to the list, etc. She took it very well and we remained on friendly terms.

Really, nothing horrible, in the scheme of things.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    that was my implication. The students email was probably addresses issued by the university and therefore retractable.
    It was on the same system. But when I called tech support I got some looooooooong explanation about widgets and gigets and servers and such... and that it was bassically impossible due to the network setup.

But like I mentioned, all is well and the student is fine.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Not really a disaster... but actually funny... I once replyed to a spammer, in an obvious rude way, and the spammer sent me a reply saying that he was a legit buissness and it wasn't his fault that my e-mail had gotten into his database and that I should apologize for my rude behaviour.... I never e-mailed him back, but at least the idiot took me of his mailing list... so SkeL 1 - Idiot 0!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Nitwits and natural disasters
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 May 2012, 10:27 PM
  2. Recollections of Disasters
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 08 Feb 2008, 1:45 PM
  3. Natural Disasters and YOU!
    Friday Afternoon Club