Urban planning community

Thread: The State of Professional Sports --Planning Needed

Registered
    Aug 2001

The State of Professional Sports --Planning Needed

Hey, what the heck is going on in professional sports?
    First official thug Ron Artest leads a charge to punch out fans in Detroit in the NBA. These NBA players are big and strong and someone in the stands could have been killed. And then the ESPN commentators blame only the fans.

Now we have Barry Bonds looking more and more like an add for the Pillsbury Dough Boy/Mr. Clean (remember him?) and apparently admitting that he took steroids.

As a die-hard Cub fan, I know that Sammy Sosa has the same bulked-up look, but even with that, the Cubs don't even come near a World Series. Their true all-star and home run hitter --Ernie Banks---was thin as a rail. Thank goodness for that

Ever since I was a 10-year-old, trading Topps gum baseball cards, I've been super-interested in baseball statistics. Now it seems like a joke---which records and record breakers have been honest, and which on the basis of various drugs?

Hey, Ernie, can you make a comeback? And let's play two!! (Remember Sunday afternoon double headers???)
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Earl Finkler
    Ever since I was a 10-year-old, trading Topps gum baseball cards, I've been super-interested in baseball statistics. Now it seems like a joke---which records and record breakers have been honest, and which on the basis of various drugs?
    The simple fact of the matter is that cheating has always been a part of sports. HOFer Gaylord Perry wrote a book about how to cheat. Steroids have been used in other sports as well. I think the difference is that baseball was reeling from a strike and needed a lift. The owners turned their heads from it during the McGwire-Sosa home run chase. The owners rode the wave of baseball's revival and turned a blind eye towards it.

The strong presence of roids in baseball has been rumored since the mid-nineties... it was only a matter of time until it came out. Now that it's out, let's just hope it gets dealt with.

As far as what to do with records and whatnot. There's not alot you can do. You can't go out and retroactively test people... so you just have to leave it as it is. This is a blemish on baseball, not just isolated individuals. Although it's disgraceful, it just gets a nod in baseball history, comparable to the dead ball era.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 1:24 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 04 Feb 2013, 3:29 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 04 Apr 2010, 8:02 AM
  4. Professional Sports Teams
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Jan 2003, 5:13 PM