Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dangerous cities for pedestrians

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Dangerous cities for pedestrians

According to the Surface Transportation Policy Project, the southern and western states, particularly Florida, are dangerous for pedestrians.

The worst cities in America for pedestrian deaths are:
    Orlando, Fla.
    Tampa, Fla.
    West Palm Beach, Fla.
    Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
    Memphis, Tenn.
    Atlanta
    Greensboro, N.C.
    Jacksonville, Fla.
    Phoenix
    Houston

Here's the rest of the study: linky

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    According to the Surface Transportation Policy Project, the southern and western states, particularly Florida, are dangerous for pedestrians.
    Yes, FL as a state is mostly new roads with heavy traffic, built with a rural mentality (ie no sidewalks). Most of FL thinks it is still a rural southern state (some of it is) and forgets that we have 16 million residents and a ton of tourists.

It is (on average) a terribble place for a pedestian.

I still love this state though

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Florida also has a huge number of half-blind people with poor reflexes in their eighties driving big Buicks that handle like boats.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Florida also has a huge number of half-blind people with poor reflexes in their eighties driving big Buicks that handle like boats.
    except for being in my 80's you just described me!!

(it is sad, becuase it is true )

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    The worst cities in America for pedestrian deaths are:
    Orlando, Fla.
    Yeah, I'm on the Bike/Ped Advisory Committee at our Orlando-area MPO. Obviously, we're fighting a losing battle...

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I was almost hit by a car blowing a red light in Coral Springs. At least the driver had fast enough reflexes to honk, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this now. I walked about a mile on a commercial strip there just to see what it would be like. You Florida planners need to do something about this. Don't you have that nationally recognized pedestrian advocate there? Aren't they listening to him? I have his site bookmarked. I'll have to post it.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    I was almost hit by a car blowing a red light in Coral Springs. At least the driver had fast enough reflexes to honk, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this now. I walked about a mile on a commercial strip there just to see what it would be like. You Florida planners need to do something about this. Don't you have that nationally recognized pedestrian advocate there? Aren't they listening to him? I have his site bookmarked. I'll have to post it.
    Great idea. Unfortunately, our bike/ped guy was called a "girlie man" by an Orlando Sentinel columnist recently (heheheheheheh).
    Oh, sorry. You must mean Dan Burden. Haven't met him.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My fair city was not ranked.

Article today in the Indianapolis Star on the study and rankings.
    Pedestrians safer now, study finds
    Indy area still worse than some Midwest cities
    http://www.indystar.com/articles/1/199396-2691-009.html

From the article --
    Planners point out that many of the cities deemed the "most dangerous" for pedestrians -- such as Atlanta, Orlando and Phoenix -- have experienced explosive growth, particularly in car-friendly suburbs that leave little room for pedestrians.

"These communities, they were really designed with the automobile in mind," said David Siegel, president-elect of the American Planning Association. "It took awhile to get into this problem. It will take awhile to fix it."
    A quote from APA President
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Helllllpp.......

I've said it before, and I'll say it again......
    I've never seen so many peds either walking or riding a bike the wrong direction on major arterials during rush hour and at night Ft. Lauderdale has got to be the worst I've ever seen for this activity I would agree that the advanced age helps this problem a lot. Just two days ago, I was driving through Boca Raton at 45mph on a major road when a blue hair pulls out in front of me in the intersection to make a right turn.....Thank GOD for 4 wheel anti-lock brakes....allowed me to steer around This is one study that seems to be completely accurate with the top 4 cities......
    Skilled Adoxographer

One factor which may contribute to the danger for pedestrians is the habit of subdivision residents to drive like they are trying for the indy 500. I have noticed this many times while working in developments around here. Yet these same people will be up in arms if a dump truck is in their way. I would think that their kids are the ones at risk here but evidently it doesn't matter. Also the wholesale ignoring of reasonable speed limits in ALL rsidential areas around here make walking a contact sport. People, if you are in that much of a hurry, start earlier!!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Yes, Dan Burden, that's who I was thinking of.
    www.walkablecommunities.org
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again......
    I've never seen so many peds either walking or riding a bike the wrong direction on major arterials during rush hour and at night Ft. Lauderdale has got to be the worst I've ever seen for this activity I would agree that the advanced age helps this problem a lot. Just two days ago, I was driving through Boca Raton at 45mph on a major road when a blue hair pulls out in front of me in the intersection to make a right turn.....Thank GOD for 4 wheel anti-lock brakes....allowed me to steer around This is one study that seems to be completely accurate with the top 4 cities......
    Let me first qualify this by saying that being a pedestrian is risky just about everywhere but in most cases it is still safer than driving and the better the pedestrian environment the fewer fatalities - that's the fact. I also think there's a direct correlation between risk aversion and one's level of education and social status - and of course if you have the better education and come from a better background you don't normally have to decide whether or not to take such risks in the first place.

On the other hand sometimes i feel like it's Darwin's miracle at work.

Some people just don't pay attention or are just plain careless. I've been walking and watched people in front of me almost get hit because they walked around an obstacle on the sidewalk but rather than walking towards the buildings they stepped out into the street without looking behind them. People jaywalking state highways in NJ and straddling the jersey barrier waiting for 55mph+ traffic to clear -rather than walking the extra 100 yards to the cross-walk.

Just yesterday i saw this high school kid struttin' his stuff for his friends and wandered out into the street (with the, "I dare you to hit me" attitude that seems to be popular with certain teenage boys) without looking left. He heard the roar of the bus, which missed him by inches, and quickly jumped back to the curb.

When i lived in South Carolina i would routinely see residents of the local apartment complex pushing shopping carts in the center turn lane of a 7 lane highway "'cause there ain't no sidewalks. Can't push the cart in the dirt now can i?" People there also used the shoulder of I-126 as a sidewalk because the interstate was the only bridge across the river for 3 miles.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Aug 2011, 6:12 PM
  2. Dangerous Walking
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 01 Dec 2009, 2:04 PM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last post: 09 Apr 2006, 8:53 PM
  4. Roundabouts and pedestrians?
    Transportation Planning