Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Remember John

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Tom R's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,255

    Remember John

    It was 24 years ago today that John Lennon was killed.
    Last edited by Tom R; 08 Dec 2004 at 4:16 PM. Reason: typo
    WALSTIB

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Yes, I do remember John and his murder. That makes me feel old somehow.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 08 Dec 2004 at 4:57 PM.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian H's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MKS
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    It was 24 years ago today that John Lennon was killed.
    Who's that? ..oh wait, wasnt he a Monkee or something?

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    10,074
    It does seem incredible, somehow, that we could have lost Paul, John, and George, and Ringo is all that remains of the Fab Four.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,934
    Nice thread! I am listening to Revolver as I browse Cyburbia this afternoon.

    Off-topic:
    Mr. Lennon is in the top right:



    I have this postcard on my cubicle divider:


  6. #6
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Posts
    16,495
    WHAT THE... I was born before that happened!

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    curiosity
    Posts
    21,279
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    It does seem incredible, somehow, that we could have lost Paul, John, and George, and Ringo is all that remains of the Fab Four.
    Wait a minute, when did Paul die ?

  8. #8
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    21,383
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    It does seem incredible, somehow, that we could have lost Paul, John, and George, and Ringo is all that remains of the Fab Four.
    And Ringo is the least fab of the four.
    Wait a minute, Paul is still alive........unless of course you are referring to his death in 1969. One need look no further than the album cover of Abbey Road to find the clues that prove it. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  9. #9
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Who cares.
    Posts
    1,038
    Yup, I remember. And in the here and now, Paul is still very much alive, and more than likely wearing shoes.
    Also remember clearly the day John was shot. It was not a good day at all.
    I don't dream. I plan.

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    And Ringo is the least fab of the four.
    Wait a minute, Paul is still alive........unless of course you are referring to his death in 1969. One need look no further than the album cover of Abbey Road to find the clues that prove it. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?
    Maister......refer back to the TURN ME ON DEAD MAN thread of a few days ago. Check out Bear's response. Old guys know.

    Walrusbear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Mud Princess's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    4,898
    I remember the day Lennon died quite well. I was in high school. I wrote a couple of pages about him and distributed it to some classmates and teachers. It probably affected me a lot more than most disasters... I may even have all the NYC newspaper articles from that period in my files somewhere.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    I was in grade school and remember it as one of the big deaths of my youth --Elvis, Lennon, pope so-and so, pope-so-and-so, pope-so-and-so, that slew of USSR guys, and Reagan - oh wait he was just shot.

  13. #13
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    And Ringo is the least fab of the four.
    How do you mean?

  14. #14
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    21,383

    Beatleology

    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    How do you mean?
    I mean this
    http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data...124S-thumb.JPG
    Note how each Beatle is dressed. John symbolizes the angel of death and is dressed in white, Ringo is the priest dressed formally in black, Paul is the corpse and is not wearing shoes, George ends the procession and is dressed as a laborer (presumably the grave digger)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,934
    You are nuts!!

    Ringo is great! He invented the titles "Hard Days Night" and "Eight Days a Week," both maloprops from a funny drummer! For a true Beatles fan, he is indeed just as Fab!

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Tom R's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,255

    paul

    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I mean this
    http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data...124S-thumb.JPG
    Note how each Beatle is dressed. John symbolizes the angel of death and is dressed in white, Ringo is the priest dressed formally in black, Paul is the corpse and is not wearing shoes, George ends the procession and is dressed as a laborer (presumably the grave digger)
    Paul is also out of step with the other three.
    There were also clues on the Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour albums.
    WALSTIB

  17. #17
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    21,383
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    Paul is also out of step with the other three.
    There were also clues on the Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour albums.
    Although the Beatles did later make humorous reference to the rumor and symbol thing in their white album tune Glass Onion - "here's another clue for you all, the Walrus was Paul"
    BTW What were the clues in Magical Mystery Tour?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  18. #18
    Cyburbian Tom R's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,255

    paul

    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Although the Beatles did later make humorous reference to the rumor and symbol thing in their white album tune Glass Onion - "here's another clue for you all, the Walrus was Paul"
    BTW What were the clues in Magical Mystery Tour?
    I think it had something to do with a walrus representing death. This is really pushing my memory. Lot of fog between then and now.
    WALSTIB

  19. #19
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,934
    Goo goo ga chew!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Hey, remember this?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Mar 2012, 10:30 PM
  2. I'm so old, I remember ...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 57
    Last post: 09 Feb 2012, 8:01 PM
  3. Remember May 4th.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 15 May 2010, 1:13 AM
  4. Remember discussing this one?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Mar 2004, 8:01 AM
  5. Hey Mastiff, remember this?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Dec 2003, 2:22 PM