Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time

Registered
    Jun 2003

Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time

Their intro to the list,
    "Welcome to the ultimate jukebox: the second edition of the ROLLING STONE 500, a celebration of the greatest rock & roll songs of all time...."

The list is available at: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...6661/sort/rank

Top 10
    1 - Like a Rolling Stone Bob Dylan 1965
    2 - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction The Rolling Stones 1965
    3 - Imagine, John Lennon 1971
    4 - What's Going On Marvin Gaye 1971
    5 - Respect Aretha Franklin 1967
    6 - Good Vibrations The Beach Boys 1966
    7 - Johnny B. Goode Chuck Berry 1958
    8 - Hey Jude The Beatles 1968
    9 - Smells Like Teen Spirit Nirvana 1991
    10 - What'd I Say Ray Charles 1959
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    A lot of Sly and the Family Stone made the list which is a good thing!
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's amazing! They got them all right. Not only did they list every single correct song, but they also put them in an order with which everyone will be in agreement. I am SO relieved - you realize that now that this list is done there is no need to argue, debate, or otherwise discuss rating rock music. I fully expect this means Rolling Stone will be closing their doors no later than next week, now that their mission has been successfully accomplished.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I’m not going to debate the merits of another greatest of list (Is there anything left in the world that has yet to be listed or ranked?), but “Smells Like Teen Spirit” making the top ten?! What’s going on here? That’s not even Nirvana’s best song much less the 9th best of all time.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I’m not going to debate the merits of another greatest of list (Is there anything left in the world that has yet to be listed or ranked?), but “Smells Like Teen Spirit” making the top ten?! What’s going on here? That’s not even Nirvana’s best song much less the 9th best of all time.
    Nope you're wrong. Rolling Stone is right. End of discussion. No dispute here is possible. This list is so undeniably based on objective common sense, that any attempt to suggest otherwise is moot. For example, ANYONE can tell you that Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb' (#314) is precisely 256 songs worse than Michael Jackson's 'Billy Jean' (#58), and EVERYONE knows that Hank Williams 'Your Cheatin' Heart' (#213) rocks exactly 97 songs better than Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" (#310) - I mean, c'mon!!! We should all quit while we're we're ahead and admit Rolling Stone is the Ultimate Authority on rock n roll and leave it at that.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear certainly agrees with number 1, LIKE A ROLLING STONE. I still play this tune, all of the time, because it takes me back to another time, another day, a different waistline, and the experience of growing up in the best decade ever.

Most of the 500 choices seem on target, a few don't belong.

Scanning the index of artists I see no Kansas, Journey, Sam The Sham. Probably others that should have been included.

Back to my "decade" comments.....

The list has 202 songs from the 1960's. The next closest decade was the 1970's, witrh 144. Since 1980, there are only 82 songs on this list.

Growing up in the 1960's was cool. That decade changed everything, for better or worse. And music became more than just "something you listened to". It became, in many cases, a "statement".

Bear With A Collection Of Records That Went 45 RPM
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    The list has 202 songs from the 1960's. The next closest decade was the 1970's, witrh 144. Since 1980, there are only 82 songs on this list.
    I think alot of that has to do to the nostalgia factor.

[TONGUE-IN-CHEEK]
    That and you old people all listened to the same music before the advent of TV.
    [/TONGUE-IN-CHEEK]
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Breedster.....no "tongue in cheek" signs necessary. We did all listen to the same music. And our parents all were teens in the 30' and 40's, so their music was Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, etc. The teens in the 50's were introduced to Chuck Beery, Bill Haley, and Elvis Presley.....they all "rocked".....but those same 50's kids also listened to do-wap (Frankie Lymon, the Moonglows, etc.) and middle-of-the road pop stuff, usually presented by somebody like Perry Como.

When the Beatles came on the scene in 1963/64 they really did make a difference. Their music, their hair, their "Beatle boots", the screaming girls at their concerts drowning out the music, and guitars.....played loudly. The day after I watched the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show I hitchhiked to the local department store (Arlan's, on Door Street) and bought "Meet The Beatles". I stopped playing Bobby Vinton records that day.

I would agree that the voting did have some "nostalgia factor" influences.

BTW....this "old person" totally agrees with Radiohead's inclusion in the list AND I would also include "Kryptonite" (Three Doors Down), "Cowboy" (Kid Rock) and some tunes by Wilco.

Bear With A Triple A Sticker On the Back Of His Olds 98
    Occupy Cyburbia!

500 is too small a list for me, but then again I have spent most of my life either in a truck or on a tractor with only music for company. [Yes we had radios on tractors] I would probably at least think about giving up body parts for a complete long play version of this list on cd. Talk about getting lost in the music!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Eagles with a song in the top 50? Give me a break....or a beer. But then again, who cares?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Nov 2011, 7:45 AM
  2. Ten Greatest Inventions of All-Time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 3:39 PM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 10:23 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last post: 24 Jun 2004, 9:31 AM