Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trailer Park Sit-com

Registered
    Feb 2003

Trailer Park Sit-com

You Canucks finally have put together a great show. "Trailer Park Boys" is really funny. I have been watching it lately on BBCamerica and it is good.

Does anyone else watch this?

It is a show about the trials and tribulations of a trailer park and the folks that live there. It is a show most any planner (or person interested in planning) will enjoy.

Tonight thet elected the Trailer Park Supervisor.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    The show's website is: http://www.trailerparkboys.com/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    The show's website is: http://www.trailerparkboys.com/
    cool site. those sound clips are great

Registered
    Nov 2004
    IIRC, I remember seeing somethig about them several years ago... something about how they were one of the first shows to be broadcast over the internet or something.... I guess now they've gone big time.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

I better watch this show. I'm two minutes from buying a trailer in a trailer park, no joke I might be "trailer trash" to quote my parents.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    I better watch this show. I'm two minutes from buying a trailer in a trailer park, no joke I might be "trailer trash" to quote my parents.
    Have you ever lived in a trailer? Some of them have formaldehyde (I think that is the chemical) in the materials. I was dog sick when I lived in a trailer for a few months. The experience was so bad that I spent years saying "NEVER again! I will live in a TENT first!"

MZ, other than the stigma attached to them, the modern mobile homes are very nice. Standards have improved greatly. Part of this was due to HUD requirements but much of it was market driven. IMHO These homes fill a much needed niche in today's society. For about 50.00/square foot you can get into a fairly nice home. No, it isn't a stick-built home but it does beat outdoors. Most stick-built houses in this area start around 75/ft and go from there. For a couple just starting out these homes do make sense. The main drawback is the equity situation. They depreciate like a car instead of appreciate like real estate. However, the stereotypical trailer park does still exist. From the side by side by side to one acre or more lots, these nieghborhoods of wobbly boxes can go from nice areas to pure trash and it only takes one or two out of a group to poison the entire development.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    As a person who has lived in a trailer park in the province next door to were TPB is shot I can tell you that they have actually tamed it down. Seriously. Check out my images of trailers in the gallery.

On the show, keep watching, my favourite is the one when JROC gets caught "killing kittens" and Bubbles raps about it or the RUSH episode where Ricky kidnaps a memebr of the band (can't remember who)

It started out as a black and white movie where Julian and Ricky were pet assasins for people who disliked their neighbour's animals.

They've since had a bit of trouble with Halifax/Dartmouth and getting filming permits.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Quote Originally posted by nighthawk1959
    <snip>The main drawback is the equity situation.
    Gotta disagree with you there, nighthawk1959. To my mind, the main drawback is that they have a tendency to be magnets for tornadoes while having a propensity to become airborne.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nighthawk1959
    MZ, other than the stigma attached to them, the modern mobile homes are very nice. Standards have improved greatly. Part of this was due to HUD requirements but much of it was market driven. IMHO These homes fill a much needed niche in today's society. For about 50.00/square foot you can get into a fairly nice home. No, it isn't a stick-built home but it does beat outdoors. Most stick-built houses in this area start around 75/ft and go from there. For a couple just starting out these homes do make sense. The main drawback is the equity situation. They depreciate like a car instead of appreciate like real estate. However, the stereotypical trailer park does still exist. From the side by side by side to one acre or more lots, these nieghborhoods of wobbly boxes can go from nice areas to pure trash and it only takes one or two out of a group to poison the entire development.
    On a serious note to this thread, I have lots of experience with both the "new" "mini-home" and the "old" trailer park development models and argue that while providing "afforable" housing neither are "affordable" nor "sustainable". here are a few reasons why:

1) They are affordable as they can be financed as a chattle vs financed as a mortgage plus the financing is typically from the manufacturer who works like a car salesman based on monthly payments vs actual affordability indexes (ie in Canada if you spend more than 30% of your income on housing it is unaffordable). Combine that with long term payments on teh "site" vs mortgage payments and they are not truely affordable.

2) Maintenance and construction issues. The "shape" of the unit is the least efficient in terms of heating per sq ft as is the cost of a foundation for units designed to be placed once. As they are designed as a unit, the renovation and upgrading is also difficult and may require more expensive custom windows and doors inteh future to make up for 2x 4 construction vs 2x8/2x10 exterior walls.

3) Construction standards, as noted they are better than earleier models. here, they are built to 2 separate standerads (Z something ) or the National Building Code. Z models are the tornado magnets of old while Code models are built to the same standard as a stick built house. In both cases they are better than the units built in the 70's.

If I had not left my last job i was getting ready to do an in depth study on this topic and would gladly share idas / comments with others.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    ......or the RUSH episode where Ricky kidnaps a memebr of the band (can't remember who)
    I Believe the member was Alex Lifeson (guitarist). From the Rush website, they say he was a huge fan of the show cowrote an episode. (Do not quote me on this though)

On the main note: I have seen a couple episodes on BBC America and I like it. The format is a little different but that makes it interesting. And the storylines are great.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

I lived in one of the old standard double wides [1971 model] for over 20 years and never did find the tornado attracter. I know it was there but it was hidden well. As to the affordability of these things, yes I will admit that they are not the best way to go. But when you are blue collar and have no real way to improve that and are just starting out with a new wife and probably a kid or two, one takes ones licks and tries to do better at a later date. My own town has zoned mobile homes out for all practical purposes and while I would not want to see parcks galore I do feel this is a form of elitism that will eventually come back to haunt us.

Have you ever lived in a trailer?
    No I haven't and I've requested that I be able to rent it out for a month or two and then think about a purchase. Right now I'm lucky I get to stay in a house with lots of light. After living in an apartment for 9 years I can't stand to think of going back.
    I can only affor a botoom floor -lots of noise from above, absolutely no access to sun light (see a pattern here).When I lived at the apartment I stayed out of it from 5:30 am 'til 11:00pm. I'm an active person but sometimes I want to sit around the pad and burn out or study at home. Apartment living depressed the hell out of me. Maybe I should go rural.

But when you are blue collar and have no real way to improve that and are just starting out
    I'm going to school and will definately have a much better income within three years but having room mates is just not in my cards anymore. My last apartment room mate was a complete slob and really difficult to be around. Still a nice enough guy. I need my own place.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    A) I kept my comments brief on the assumption that TIO and most everyone else here knows full well that I have health problems and, therefore, my experiences with being sick from something do not necessarily generalize. However, I have spoken to other people who were chronically ill while living in a trailer. While that doesn't prove causation, I thought it worthwhile to mention so that he may factor it in to his decision-making process.

B) I think I made it clear that I am personally biased against trailers FOR ME and not attempting to say 'they should be outlawed altogether' or some such. Given my serious health problems, I am unlikely to change my mind about whether or not I, personally, am willing to live in a trailer again.

C) I also said "some", not "all", have chemical problems.

D) TIO, it sounds like you have an excellent plan for checking it out -- renting the particular trailer you are considering buying is a far superior method to judging it than 'having lived in a trailer before'. I know there are major differences in quality between older ones and newer ones, etc.

E) While I don't believe they have magical powers to attract tornados, I do know that living in Kansas in a trailer and listening to the storms rain down on the flimsy building I was in made it difficult to sleep and gave me nightmares. This problem cleared up when we bought a house. Except that I wasn't actually getting wet, I felt like I was out in the storm, with no protection at all, for the night-time storms in Kansas.

F) I will spare you details of why my son persisted in referring to it as "the bug house" for years afterwards and the incident where I woke up with a locust in my hair at 3 am and began screaming.

MZ, you are right as to chemical problems. The older homes [pre 75 or so] did use a lot of substandard materials but so did a lot of stick-built homes. From my days as the training officer at our volunteer fire department I remember some of the things that would be given off in a fire and it is scary. The bug problem is not uncommon either with age and poor maintainence the small creatures of the night can definatly run amock. In my old box, sitting in the middle of an old pasture, the first cold snap would almost guarentee a flood of mice. The ex did not find this amusing. Materials have improved greatly as well as codes and construction techniques. But a mobile home will never be as good as a site built home in the long run. As an expediant yes but as a permanant solution I would rather be in a house.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Jun 2011, 6:16 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 5:11 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 9:40 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Sep 2005, 11:14 AM
  5. Nonconforming trailer park
    Land Use and Zoning