Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Changing Attitudes and Opinions

Registered
    Feb 2004

Changing Attitudes and Opinions

What is the best way to help change someone else's opinions?
    What is the best way to help change 12 people's opinions?
    What is the best way to help change 12,000 people's opinions?
    What is the best way to help change 12,000,000 people's opinions?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    1. A moving speech.

2. A lot of money.

3. A missile.
    Last edited by biscuit; 13 Dec 2004 at 12:15 PM.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    michealskis,

Maister is going to be pissed that you are using his account.

As for the questions - slowly, by making the people think it was mostly their idea(s).

A little manipulative, but if it is for good, then it is justified.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    michealskis,

Maister is going to be pissed that you are using his account.
    (slow Maister) Huh????
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    (slow Maister) Huh????
    I would translate it as : not the prototypical question from Maister, more in the ouvre of Michaelskis. But then, what the h3ll do I know
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I would translate it as : not the prototypical question from Maister, more in the ouvre of Michaelskis. But then, what the h3ll do I know
    Thank you, Gedunker!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Just goes to show you the kind of influence that I have on Maister!

I would say that large amounts of proactive interaction that not only voices your option on a topic, but also reasons for your opinion.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    That's what I guessed was meant, but it's good to have these things independently verified. There must be some sort of implicit assumption that these questions had the aim of being asked 'to make the world a better place', if they were being mistaken for Michaelskis' posts ......Hmmm what can I do to make this more my own?
    If I could somehow include the phrase "he furrowed his brow elaborately while pondering one of his Byzentine responses" then I think it would probably sell better as being a trademark Maister post, but the problem here is that I have already used the terms "Byzentine" (and "Wagnerian") twice this week already and really don't want to overdo it. Besides, the phrase doesn't seem to have much to do with the topic at hand. So at this point I'll just suggest everyone answer the question with the understanding that any information volunteered will do absolutely nothing to help anyone . Thank you. Good day.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Back on topic...

1. Cash

2. Wal-Mart

3. Television
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Back on topic...

1. Cash

2. Wal-Mart

3. Television
    NOWTHATSWHATI'MTALKINGABOUT!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Keep saying it, over and over and over, when an opportune moment comes up. Pretend you haven't already said it 5000 other times. Don't bring any emotional baggage into it when you do casually mention it for the umpteenth time. Agree with them and support them when they finally come up with this brilliant idea ALL ON THEIR OWN. Then never speak to the horrid little b*tch again to save what is left of your sanity.

Utterly ignore their collective opinion in the nicest way possible and stick to your guns in as polite a fashion as you can muster. Avoid being sucked into the stereotypical "us vs. them" trap -- ie "if you do not agree with us, you are The Enemy and OBVIOUSLY you must believe the opposite of what we believe". Keep confusing them with the facts, in spite of the fact their minds are already made up, whether they thought about it or not. Resist the temptation to say "I told you so" (et al) when the tide begins to turn. Instead, take advantage of the turning tide to ride the wave on home and enjoy it.

When you figure it out, let me know. I desperately need this information.

Registered
    May 2004
    I'd think the missle would to take care of all.

Bob

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Then never speak to the horrid little b*tch again to save what is left of your sanity.
    If only someone would have floated that advice my way 13 years ago...life would have been very different.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    If only someone would have floated that advice my way 13 years ago...life would have been very different.
    Excuse me? What happened to your time machine? Now that you know, go back and fix it.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Regardless of the size of the group, show them that what you want them to do/believe is ultimately in their best interests. The methods will be dictated by how many people you need to reach.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    May 2003
    Be ready with your response and wait for the person or persons to ask the right question. When they do, offer them an answer that you been holding for that moment. Reinforce their ideas that coincide with the attitude direction you want.

Sometimes this takes hours, weeks, days, years.

I often wait for the Planning Commission to make a point then follow through with their ideas, even though I had also thought it to be a good idea. The Commission then guides the planning direction of the city, not staff. I always look for good ideas from the Commission, Council, public and keep reinforcing those ideas.

Take the key event of our recent political past. A president wanted to start a war in Iraq. He was ready with his plan. A bunch of loonies flew planes into the WTC. The Pres used that to change the attituces of 294,000,000 people from "where is Iraq?" to "I want to go to war against a country that did not attack the u.s."

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    Regardless of the size of the group, show them that what you want them to do/believe is ultimately in their best interests. The methods will be dictated by how many people you need to reach.
    Sound advice to be sure, but the method is very much the heart of the matter. Should one, for example, convince one's wife that it is in her best interests to quit her job as a stripper by writing a heartfelt letter to the editor?

Registered
    May 2003
    Sound advice to be sure, but the method is very much the heart of the matter. Should one, for example, convince one's wife that it is in her best interests to quit her job as a stripper by writing a heartfelt letter to the editor?
    Wait until she says, "I should quit my job as a stripper," and agree with her excellent judgement.

Maister, depends on what she makes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 19 Feb 2013, 3:51 PM
  2. Attitudes and mindset of the elderly
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 2:32 PM
  3. Negative community attitudes and your job
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12