Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hockey

Registered
    Mar 2003

Hockey

With the NHL out do you get your fix? I get plenty of girls 19 U & 10 U, plus mini-mites and bantams. Also some OHL (Ontario Hockey League, Junior A/tier I) on Comcast, and CCHA (Central Collegiate Hockey Association) on comcast and Fox Sport Net.

But there is something missing in my life. Every Saturday night I get home from coaching a girls 10 U team, store all the equipment to air out, grab a pop, klick on the tube, and no Hockey Night in Canada. It's like there is something missing. Not that the Leafs are my favorite or is it favourite, they should just be on TV every Saturday night.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    We've got a junior A team here that I go watch occasionally. But it's not the same as the NHL. I was all set to go on my annual Western Canadian pilgrimage to watch the Rangers play in Van, Cal and Edm...until the season got all f@$ked up!!!!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I go catch a San Antonio Rampage game every couple of weeks. I like this league better anyway--more fights and cheaper beer!

I rarely got to go an NHL game anyway since the closest ones are the Dallas Stars--and I haven't seen one of their games since they moved out of Reunion Arena.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    AHL: Go Rats!
    ECAC: Go Engineers!
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Mar 2004

Huh???

Hockey.....What's that......oh yeah....a game played years ago with a puck....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Altitude Sports here in Colorado will broadcast Colorado Eagles games (Central League). They are based out of my town in Northern Colorado and are fun to watch. Altitude also plays Utah Grizzlies (AHL) and rebroadcasts old Avalanche games (ala ESPN Classic).

We get the occasional Univ. of Denver or Colo. College game too.

The Hockey News is still weekly and helps ease the pain of the lockout.

News you can use: The NHL and the NHLPA went into talks again yesterday where a plan to reduce player saleries 24% (brought on by the NHLPA) was introduced. The NHL owners have until Tuesday to chew on it and react.

For some reason this hockey fan is weirdly optimistic.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    AHL baby!

www.monarchshockey.com

Manchester Monarchs are my team (LA Kings affiliate)....best record in the league so far 20 wins, one loss, one OT loss.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I watch and or listen on the radio to the Peoria Riverman (ECHL, next year AHL!!!)

I've always like Minor league hockey. Never been to a pro game. Blackhawk tix are too damn expensive.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    A salary cap is needed, as well as revenue sharing.

Not going to happen though.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    A salary cap is needed, as well as revenue sharing.

Not going to happen though.
    Probably not. But the NHL is going to have to learn to live within its means, players and teams alike. Hockey is now the fifth most popular spectator sport in the US. Players ought to be compensated in a manner that is more in line with that fact of life. If the players union is willing to offer a 24 percent salary reduction, how much more "fat" is yet to be trimmed from salaries before they truly reflect the market for hockey?

I can't see why the NHL needs 30 teams, either. Probably 8-10 of them don't have enough local support to really justify their existence. Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Florida are the ones that come readily to mind. It will never generate enough TV revenue because it doesn't translate well to the tube. Hockey is such a great sport, but it has a core group of loyal fans that probably won't expand too much. It's too bad that the NHL is so expensive. That alone probably turns away a lot of would-be fans.

Damn...I miss hockey. Anyone see that Molson commercial?
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Hockey Fix? I'm about ready to OD!

Hmm..with the NHL not being around this season.....

I've attended more WHL games for Spokane (Chiefs) and Tri-Cities (Americans) than I have in the past.....

I'm playing on average 3-4 times a week for men's league.....

Practicing and help coach the local college team........

Coach my Pee-wee team (10-12) and have games on the weekend with them...

Anymore hockey, and I think the woman is going to get a lawyer!!!

ON a different note....anyone who can't watch hockey on TV doesn't usually understand the game. C'mon people, it's not that hard!!!!!
    Forechecking is overrated.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    In my fair city we have H.S. Hockey Clubs, not a varsity sport.
    and we have
    The University of Southern Indiana (USI) Ice Eagles Hockey Club.
    The Ice Eagles are a Division 3 team in the Great Midwest Collegiate Hockey Conference, which is a part of the American College Hockey Association.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CCMNUT39
    ON a different note....anyone who can't watch hockey on TV doesn't usually understand the game. C'mon people, it's not that hard!!!!!
    Far more simple than football, to be sure!

In a way, I just wish that they would let this season go. I hate looking at records in baseball and seeing "strike-shortened season" or other similar notes. Get it worked out and let's drop the puck in October '05.

Meanwhile, I've college hoops. IU v. UK borderwar on Saturday. (IU will get whupped and there's no telling WHAT Mike Davis might do...)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    Far more simple than football, to be sure!
    What I always tell people about hockey and TV, look for the players with their sticks on the ice. The puck is bound to be close!
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    CCHA! GO NMU! STATE SUCKS!

Also ESPN Classics show old games from time to time. It is crazy seeing these guys on the ice taking pucks the skull and not having a helmets on.

great thread!

I can't see why the NHL needs 30 teams, either. Probably 8-10 of them don't have enough local support to really justify their existence. Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Florida are the ones that come readily to mind.
    You canít cut the Penguins!!! They are one of the old school teams. But I do agree that teams need to be cut. My thinking is this:

If you can not have ICE outside in January, you do not deserve a team. If the average temperature is above 32 for the end of January, then why should you have a team. Pro Hockey was not started in Southern California, it was started in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michiganís Upper Peninsula... It is just about the middle of Lake Superior... you donít get any colder than that.
    Last edited by michaelskis; 10 Dec 2004 at 3:35 PM. Reason: needed to save Pittsburgh

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm getting by just fine. I never really got into NHL. My town has a UHL team and College hockey. I go to some of their games.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    CCHA! GO NMU! STATE SUCKS!

Also ESPN Classics show old games from time to time. It is crazy seeing these guys on the ice taking pucks the skull and not having a helmets on.

great thread!
    Is it just me, or did it seem like head injuries were less frequent before helmets were mandatory? Maybe this perception has to do with the fact that players were less likely to talk about injuries in the days of "Old Time Hockey?"

Yup...inspired me to change my avitar!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Our team kinda s**cks. Last season, they ranked 12/15 in the Eastern Conference.
    So I'm not in hockey withdrawl...although I was glued to the Stanley Cup and cheering on the Lightning!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hockey.gif  

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I can't see why the NHL needs 30 teams, either. Probably 8-10 of them don't have enough local support to really justify their existence. Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Florida are the ones that come readily to mind.
    The league shouldn't have "expanded" in some of those markets, and they shouldn't have gotten rid of some of the Canadian markets such as Quebec, Winnipeg, etc.

I'm still blown away that Phoniex has a team. WTF.

I remember when Pittsburgh was going through their 2nd bankrupcy (sp?, me retarded), and they were talking about where they might end up. I hear KC is trying to buy the team now. The problem in Pittsburgh is that there isn't enough public support to build a new arena, and that the team is so horrible, that the attendence is so low. Still I don't want to see them go.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I agree with the fewer teams idea. Like Michaelskis' theory, we always said it should snow at least 3 times in a given winter month for you to qualify for a team.

I'm saying this as a Habs fan living in Colorado...

With all you guys talking about relocated teams (Quebec), are you saying that Denver doesn't deserve a team? I always wondered about other people's thoughts on this...
    Denver qualifies with cold winters...
    There is a lot of support and attendance...
    They have been successful...

Any thoughts?

maybe it is time to change my avatar....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    With all you guys talking about relocated teams (Quebec), are you saying that Denver doesn't deserve a team? I always wondered about other people's thoughts on this...
    Denver qualifies with cold winters...
    There is a lot of support and attendance...
    They have been successful...

Any thoughts?
    While I don't approve of the way Denver got the 'lanche, I fully support it's worthiness as a hockey town. Phoenix...not so much.

Canadian teams have always struggled because of the fact that expenses are in USD, but revenues are in CAD. Given the current direction of the US dollar, maybe the day is approaching when we see a migration of NHL teams back to the north of the 49th Parallel? Anyone want to go to a Flin Flon Penguins game?

maybe it is time to change my avatar....
    There's a "CH" logo on the avitar list, waiting for you...

Which I see you have found!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Any thoughts?
    Yea... Ave's suck too!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Yea... Ave's suck too!
    Still bitter over the Lemieux/Draper incident, I see...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Still bitter over the Lemieux/Draper incident, I see...
    As long as God makes ice slick, the hate will be there.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Do/Did You Play Hockey?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 15 Jul 2008, 9:35 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Nov 2005, 7:30 PM
  3. Hockey Shrine Re-Use
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 21