Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hockey

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'm glad to see the feeling is mutual in Michigan. I have always wondered about that. Oh well. We'll have to wait and see... do you think the Avs/Wings rivalry will intensify?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2002
    You don't want to get me started on the Avs...

I really, really miss hockey. I was definitely an addict - Center Ice on cable and as many Tampa games as I could afford to go to. The response from the league to the players' recent proposal wasn't very positive - I think the season is gone. No minor league teams here, so I've settled for college football and basketball (not as good at all.) Sigh...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Go Ahead... why don't you get started....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Thank the big man for college hockey (WCHA rules). I have season tickets to the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey games and get to watch 8 of the best college hockey teams play every year. So what I'm saying, I guess I don't even miss the NHL.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planner22
    Thank the big man for college hockey (WCHA rules). I have season tickets to the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey games and get to watch 8 of the best college hockey teams play every year. So what I'm saying, I guess I don't even miss the NHL.
    Agree with that being close to Denver and having an uncle with season tix to DU Pioneers hockey. (NCAA Champs!)

-Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Red Wings fan checking here.....

I was at a business meeting the other day and the guy sitting next to me is an executive from Guardian Industries' Genoa, OH (Milbury) plant. Those of you who follow the sport know that the owner of the World Champion Tampa Bay Lightning is also the owner of Guardian Industries.

The Stanley Cup has been making a tour of Guardian plants around the country and Lord Stanley's Cup was in Genoa's facility recently. Everybody got to get their picture taken with it.....which is kinda cool if you dig hockey.

BTW......half a season would be good for the Detroit Red Wings. We peak every year prior-to the play-offs so the timing would be better.

Bear On The Blue Line
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Planner22
    I'm also a follower of college hockey (Hockey East and UNH in particular)....the college game is just so much fun to watch.....I often like college games better that the pro game.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Agree with that being close to Denver and having an uncle with season tix to DU Pioneers hockey. (NCAA Champs!)
    Not for long... the NMU Wildcats won in 91, and if they can keep the magic that I have seen on the ice, when they crushed Michigan State, it is almost as if each player knows where the other will be for the entire game. Walt Kyle knows his team, and the team can smell the ice from the locker room. They may only 3rd in the CCHA right now, but if the team can hold it together, there is nothing that they can't achieve.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    I'm starting to miss having something to watch on TV during the week, it was always nice to come home on say a Tuesday night and have a Sabres game to watch, lately I'm finding more and more that there really is nothing good to watch on TV. Empire sometimes has Rochester Americans (AHL) games for me to watch, and if I don't want to be lazy I could just drive across the border and go to an OHL game, but I'm lazy...

When you know that hockey has been gone for a while:

That @ssclown Brett Hull is on SNL on Weekend Update. Of course he did have a funny line:

Amy Pohler: "So Brett, what do you think about gay marriage becoming legal in Canada?"

Brett Hull: "Well, that's what happens when there is no hockey in Canada. Guys get together and actually start talking about their feelings, next thing you know they're in love. As far as I'm concerned I'm OK with it..."
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    So, what do ya'll think about the Player's offer to the league? They made a bunch of concessions, including a 24% pay cut and caps for rookie contracts. Seems pretty generous to me. But, does anyone really care?
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Phoenix is actually a decent hockey town. It's not Detroit or Toronto, but it's not as bad as you would think. For starters, the team was halfway decent its first few years in the desert and drew a core following of about 6-8000 fans per night. Add to that the transplants and winter visitors from colder climes and they manage to sellout their fair share of games. Their biggest mistake was building a new arena 20 miles west of downtown when their core fans are primarily from the east and north sides. These fans now have a drive home that can easily last an hour or more.

I've been getting my fix from college hockey on TV. I will also have to make my way to a Winter Hawks game sometime. We travel to the Frozen Four every year so I can at least look forward to that. Any ideas what my wife and I and our 15 month old son can do all day on an April Friday in Columbus OH?

M Go Blue!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Muz
    Any ideas what my wife and I and our 15 month old son can do all day on an April Friday in Columbus OH?

M Go Blue!
    Good question from a Wolverine fan !!!

Plan on going to the arena, the home of the Columbus Blue Jackets hockey club and yell at the top of your lungs, "Go Blue!".

For the life of me, I can't understand why the home of Ohio State's Buckeyes would name a team that included the word "Blue". Maybe they got a free car or something.

Schottenbear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Do/Did You Play Hockey?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 15 Jul 2008, 9:35 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Nov 2005, 7:30 PM
  3. Hockey Shrine Re-Use