TWO TOWNS, 21.3 miles apart.

I.

II.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Leesburg, VA and Harpers Ferry, W. Va.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Harper's Ferry is right, biscuit, and Leesburg is close to being right.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ablarc
    Harper's Ferry is right, biscuit, and Leesburg is close to being right.
    I know that the first photo is Leesburg. I can't be sure about the rest. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Harpers Ferry is a great town, not least because the Appalachian Trail runs right through it; you can walk out of town and be in the woods in a matter of minutes. I'm also a big fan of Shepherdstown, WV, just a handful of miles away. Has anyone been to Williamsburg, VA? I went to college there, but didn't really appreciate what a great walking and biking town it was until I returned for a visit several years later. Why is it that the college towns and tourist towns tend to be so much better laid out than your typical city in the real world?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mountain Magic
    Why is it that the college towns and tourist towns tend to be so much better laid out than your typical city in the real world?
    They’re not; they have merely survived. There is nothing special about Harper’s Ferry or most other old surviving towns to distinguish them from the commonplace in the eyes of a person 100 years ago. They were ordinary towns, and the Twentieth Century’s nonsense had not yet reached them.

They had no suburban sprawl, no strip malls, no parking lots; in other words they had not been altered to suit the car, and the countryside was still right there just outside the town. When you plan for the car, you make the car a necessity, and a place becomes unwalkable.

College towns have survived all over the country because there are thousands of immediately adjacent pedestrians to keep them economically healthy, and what you call tourist towns are simply the few others that survived unmodified without the help of college students. That alone qualifies them as historic, since their peers have largely disappeared.

Kovanovich, are you sure that isn't Waterford?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    How about Winchester, VA?

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Winchester, Martinsburg, Frederick and maybe Boonsboro would be the only other towns that big and about that distance from Harper's Ferry. I don't think Waterford has anything that substantial.

I am 90% certain that first picture is Leesburg. I believe this is the same street.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Sweet.....

Having practically grown up in NOVA and having visited Harpers Ferry numerous times......GREAT PHOTO's I love that whole Martinsburg WV, to Leesburg VA to Frederick MD to Front Royal VA area

Last time I was in Waterford, there wasn't a traffic light......GOD....that whole burg and everything within 1 mile should be frozen in time and not allowed to CHANGE AT ALL!

It does look a lot like leesburg....I think King Street and Royal......

Photo's 2,3 and 4 could be Waterford.....
    Last edited by The One; 20 Dec 2004 at 9:55 AM.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Houston and Katy Texas?

Check this out, I found this picture on e-bay! It's taken from virtually the exact same angle as the one posted by Ablarc

Registered
    Nov 2003
    The more recent picture looks better. I like the colorful paint jobs, it helps that the road's repaved. When they handsomely repaved the sidewalks they could maybe have buried the power lines for the light standards.

Towns like this get better looking all the time, now that they are out of danger of disappearing. As tourist destinations they're temporarily in cold storage until demand for town life returns.

At least these towns haven't been replaced with parking lots; in my state, seven towns of this size survive substantially intact, all but two as tourist attractions. The other two are college towns. I'm grateful for the survival of all seven, and periodically I'm one of the tourists.

If we built a couple of thousand nice towns like this, as New Urbanists propose, the tourists would stop coming because such places will no longer seem novel. Would we find people to live in them? Most New Urbanist developments are doing ok from a sales standpoint.

Another function these towns serve is to remind us how we could build if we wanted to and were allowed to by the regulations. Their time will come; efforts are already being made in that direction, though there are as misses as hits.
    Last edited by ablarc; 14 Jan 2005 at 3:53 PM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jan 2008, 7:41 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 25 May 2007, 1:28 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 13 Nov 2006, 4:04 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 22 Apr 2006, 1:17 AM
  5. Replies: 35
    Last post: 11 Jul 2005, 3:55 PM