Urban planning community

Poll results: How much do you make per year (w/bonus)

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 to $24,000 US

5 8.47%
  • $24,001 to $48,000 US

26 44.07%
  • $48,001 to $78,000 US

22 37.29%
  • $78,000+ US

5 8.47%
  • Your not fit to be my gardener....Bling Bling is my thing thing...

1 1.69%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Income Milestones/Planning Salary

Registered
    Aug 2001

Income Milestones/Planning Salary

Reading this in the paper made me start to think:

"Studies show that your college major can determine your salary — and graduates with liberal arts degrees usually start out with fairly modest salaries. But most of them believe that someday they, too, will be making big bucks.

They might be wrong.

"One mistake that a lot of liberal arts majors make (those majoring in English, history and sociology, for instance) is in thinking that although there is a difference in starting salaries, the liberal arts majors will catch up to the engineering majors as the years go by," said Daniel Nolan of Chicago, a technical writer with an English degree. "But unless you go back to school and take business-related courses, that will not happen."

He warns: "You will always be running behind." "

When I was in college in the late 80's there was a general rule that if your income (divided by 1000) was equal to your age, you were doing alright. Of course, we all expected that we would be earning more. My first post-college job paid a whopping $20,000. For several more years, until I finished grad school, I never did "make my age." For a year, when I was 28, I was making $30,000. Then I went back into the public sector and took a $4,000 hit. At least the cost of living was low.

In two more years I changed jobs and enjoyed a huge jump in pay. The next milestone was $52,000 a year, or $1,000 a week. Other people mentioned that they, too, thought of this as a significant mark. I don't think there is any clear "next milestone." Certainly, $100,000 will be a big one, but it does seem there should be something between the two. At least I don't feel like I am running behind anymore.

What are the beliefs we have about income now? The age measure is not a valid one anymore, I hope. What are the milestones we use to benchmark our planner salaries against the rest of the world?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've stayed fairly close to the age/$1000's thing much of my career. Once I get that big movie/book/talk show deal I'm holding out for, though, that formula will be a thing of the past.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think it also depends on where you live (or what currency you get paid in! )... My first job as a planner in 1990 I got a huge salary for the times: $32,000/year. I was 20, so this was a HUGE amount of money for me. I think most of milestones are usually on how much I make per hour... especially now that I only work 36 hours a week. When I went to over $25 and then $30 per hour, it seemed significant to me. Now I make over $35, so I guess I'll be looking to $40 sometime soon. What I'm looking forward to more than anything is getting an extra week of vacation in a few years!

Mrs. G pointed out last night that her current salary with the water company as a part-time temporary is less than she was making when I met her in 1991. Whoever says you can't get by on less has never had to try.

I'm getting nearer to the $50k threshhold, but these flat $500 year raises aren'[t going to get me there in time to maintain the salary/1000 formula. Ah, the public sector
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    May 2004
    I've made and lost so much money it's real tuff to keep track of.

between oct 98 to feb 99 I deposited a little under 250.000 but that was before overhead deductions.

I had a real great couple months in 91 depositing more than 30.000 on each, that was kinda sweet, it was all labor, little overhead.

Bob

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, since starting my career a little over two years ago, I have been able to increase my yearly salary by $10,000 - yum!

With this new job, I am making more than twice my age ( by the formula).

Though this is weighted by living in a high cost Metro. area.

If you can get a decent house is a decent neighborhood for only 3-times your yearly income, you're lucky.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah but....

I think the x1,000 should now be doubled.....as a "rule"....
    My milestones have been and are:

$36,000
    $48,000
    $75,000
    $100,000
    $125,000

10 year career so far......averaging about 13% cumulative yearly increase from my starting salary in 1994.... and I don't intend on slowing down..... Ambition Ambition Ambition......GO GO GO......Hu-ah!
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Because I am young, I am doing well. I can work for about a decade and still make my age. BUT… as the single income, that is not a lot of money. I remember going for a mock interview in college, and the mock company (teachers) only offered me 18K. I just about fell out of the chair in disbelief. But then again that is not all that bad for the Upper Peninsula.

With factors such as cost of living involved today, I think that there will be several market trends that where previously thought as a local occurrence. We are now in a global market where items are bought and sold over the internet much more every day. A shirt that cost $25 dollars in NYC is cheep, but it might be ‘pricey’ in a rural area. It is the same shirt, and same price, but much different concept of how expensive it is.

Personally, I experienced a 200% pay increase once I graduated college (Ski Hill did not pay all that much), and about $4,000 increase (plus massive benefits improvement) when I moved to my current job.

My plan as of right now is to work for 12 to 18 months after I get my Masters and AICP (they should fall about the same time)… At that point I will have had 2 jobs, one lasted a year (to the day) and the other will have lasted three and a half years of experience. I want to find a job that I will make twice my age.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I started out as the lowest paid professional planner in NH back in 1997, barely making $24K a year. [public sector]

Got a nice bump when I moved to my current employer, and another nice bump when my job got restructured....so in a little more than 7 years, I've more than doubled my salary. [public sector]

Doubt I'll be able to keep up the pace.

edited per the good suggestion of el Guapo below.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Where the hell do you people make that big money? We can't really compare private sector to public sector money and be fair. I know from my brief foray in to the private sector that I was making more money, but had less free time and was actually making less an hour.

How about you say Private or Public when describing these monster salaries?

Me, well 40K was a big milestone for me as a public planner in the midwest. Then making more than my professors was my next goal.

$5.00 an hour in 1994 to ~$50K in 2004. God Bless the American Way.
    Last edited by el Guapo; 13 Dec 2004 at 1:03 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good point EG, all of my positions (including my first where they paid my $32,000 right of college) are all public sector.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Planning Salary

How much do the planners out there make?

APA's recent survey says:
    25th percentile is $48,000
    50th percentile is $60,000
    75th percentile is $78,000

and women earn $0.86 on the $1
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Since it's public info, published every year in the Town Report....mine (post restructuring) is $56K (public sector).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    With the current exchange rate, I make in the upper $50k range in USD. Much more in Canadian dollars. AND I only work 72 hours in a two week period. Yay for every other Friday off! (This is why I love the public sector! )

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm sorry, but I chose the 'bling bling' response. Not because it's true but just because I liked the way it sounded. That said, my salary would fit squarely in the 25th percentile.
    Now, if some independently wealthy person who truly qualifies to make the 'bling bling answer would be so kind as to select the 25th percentile as their poll response I believe we would all be moving a step closer to Objective Truth. Thanks in advance.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    and women earn $0.86 on the $1
    Damn -- they treat women well in this profession. Most women still make what women made 2000 years ago in the time of Jesus: about 2/3's what a man makes.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

True....but

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Damn -- they treat women well in this profession. Most women still make what women made 2000 years ago in the time of Jesus: about 2/3's what a man makes.
    Anything under a 1:1 is criminal and inexcusable......does anyone know if women in Sweden or Norway make 1:1 or anywhere in the world????
    John Kenneth Galbraith

I'm on the cusp of the 50th percentile, at $46,700, with a Master's degree and 16 years experience. OTOH, a fire fighter with two years experience makes $54,100 with a better bennies package. I guess guys that run into burning buildings are worth more than guys that bring in 20 times their own salary in grant monies
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    May 1997
    All you young whippersnappers.

My first planning job was $850 a month. I had a big celebration when I got up to $1000!! Never caught up to my age until I started consulting, 12 years into my career and then bounced like a yo-yo up and down around my age-based salary, some years more, more years a little less. I have now managed to get three yrs ahead if you measure that way. But I cannot buy a reasonable place to live here for much less than 4X my annual income. And since when I was making $850 a mo, rent was only $125: am I better off?

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I'm on the cusp of the 50th percentile, at $46,700, with a Master's degree and 16 years experience.
    This is one of the BIG reasons I came back to New England after graduating from Ball State.....planners just don't get the respect or salaries they deserve in Indiana!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I make inteh mid to high 40's in CDN money (low 40's USD). Hard to truly convert due to benefits, taxes, cost of living.

Nerudite if you're makingthe equivalent of 50K USD, maybe I should consider ALTA.

I'm waiting and hoping to crack 50K soon. Next mile stone will be mid 60's, where the tax laws change here then 6 figures. As a planner here, almost no one would make into the 6 figures in the public sector and very few in the private sector would.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I'm doing OK I guess. I'm at $48K. If I was still living in Omaha, I would be living like a king. Baltimore is still the cheapest large city in the northeast to live.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    The two income threads merged.....very similar topics.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Oh...ok.....

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Moderator note:
    The two income threads merged.....very similar topics.
    Thanks.....my apologies to Cardinal for messing with the thread.....
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2002
    This is the first year that I will make more than I did in 1999. With the rising cost of health insurance, I feel lucky that my employer is paying the entire monthly premium for my (individual) policy.

With a master's degree and 16 years of experience, I know I should be making more money, but my preference at this point in my life is for a job where I am happy and feel valued. It helps that we are "DINK"s - dual income, no kids.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 12:55 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Sep 2011, 1:38 PM
  3. American Income Gap
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 1:13 PM
  4. Salary survey for planning jobs