Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Positive Addictions

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Positive Addictions

Back in the mid-1980's I broke my arm playing basketball. I had been a regular (3 times a week, full-court) player and was stunned that I now was facing a few months of no b-ball.

So, I started to run. Rather, call it a slow trot, because I was never "fast".

Within a month or so, I was running at least six (6) miles a day, six (6) days a week, rain or snow or shine. Some days I would peel off a run of ten (10) miles plus.

All of my basketball adventures were followed by tavern adventures, thus no real weight loss. The running thing was different, though. The weight started to come off.....and off.....and off.

I became addicted to running. If I didn't run each day I would get "ansy". When our gang would get together my friend Marcia, also a runner, and I would yak on forever about where we ran, how far, blah-blah ad nauseum. I kept track of my miles, the location, the weather. Obsessive?

My feet pounded trails at every Toledo area metropark, at many Toledo city parks, in many Toledo neighborhoods. I would drive downtown, park the truck, and run a route that included crossing the river four (4) times on two (2) different bridges. On camping trips to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan places I ran included Marquette, up to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain, around some lakes in the Gwinn area, in and around the Soo, in the woods north of Paradise, MI, and south of Au Train Lake.

It all came to a crashing halt on the basketball court.....the same place that got this positive addiction started. When my arm was healed I also resumed my basketball "career". In a half-court game on an outside court, just down the street from Dale's Bar (Maumee, OH), I was cut-off by an opponent, giving me a muscle tear in my leg.

When I got back on the trails my style of running changed, as I tried to compensate for the pain and soreness of the muscle tear. Because of this change, running became a chore and over a long period of time I eventually stopped. (Of course, basketball continues.....)

Was this a positive addiction? In my three (3) years of "steady" running I often experienced a runner's "high". At about the third or fourth mile something in my brain would kick-in and suddenly everything stopped hurting and I felt like I could run all day long. (This from a person who never ran track in high school or college.)

Positive addiction? Me thinks so.

Do you have any experiences with positive addictions?

Bear Running Through St. Ignance On A Cold February Morning
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Bicycling. and you're enthusiastic not obsessive

Also Hiking w/ 40 lbs on my back.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbia.

Men.

Sex.

Flirting.

Guys.

Raising my kids.

I am sure there are others. (And I am MOSTLY kidding -- so don't go getting your hopes up. )

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bicycling and walking.
    Going to the library.
    Not Drinking and smoking.
    Attending Church.
    Cyburbia.
    Annual trip to the Jersey Shore.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Two summers ago, i was still in college, but not taking classes.
    Three friends and i would meet up at the campus rec center everyday at 3. We would run a mile and then do a full circuit of weightlifting. Like the Bear's after basketball ritual, we'd usually go out for drinks every night (as the girlfriend was out of town) so the wieght loss was smaller than it should have been. But we got into shape and started to look "toned."
    But it got to the point where if we didn't go everyday, we would get "antsy" and feel bad about ourselves.

Maybe I will try the Bear's running plan

<side note> I will sometimes wear pants from that summer and realize how good of shape that put me in....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    bicycling
    hiking in the woods
    sex
    cyburbia
    being outdoors getting dirty (gardening, yard work)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Exercise is probably the best "positive" addiction I've ever had. Just wish I could get hooked for life

A while back a cyburbia thread inspired me to get working out again...I'm still keeping up with that. Feel much better too.

As for cyburbia itself...that's both a positive and a negative addiction!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    Bicycling. and you're enthusiastic not obsessive

Also Hiking w/ 40 lbs on my back.
    I would consider almost any hobby a healthy addiction.

My addictions change depending on the weather. summer tends to be waterskiing; fall and spring tend to be cycling and winter tends to be day hikes (I've done my time with the 40 lb pack).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    My positive adiction is basketball too. I play in a league at work. Although, my positive addiction makes have sore knees. I've been taking it easy, because I want to be able to walk straight and play with my kids when I have them.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

I start running and within a minute I want to stop. I hate running for running's sake. When I was playing soccer I could run all day, but to just run? Nope, not gonna happen. I also happen to be a terrible swimmer, so that's pretty much out. I've found chasing after a 5- and a 7-year old to be pretty exhausting.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I also run to stay in shape. I've been doing this for the better part of 15 years now, but can't say I've ever gotten the "runner's high." Running is hard. Oftentimes I feel like it would just be easier to stop and walk, but then I don't let myself give up to easily. It's more mental for me than physical. If I can push myself that way, I'll do better in other things--- and be able to eat whatever I want.

When I lived back East, I was nuts about hiking. Hope to get that back someday if I move away from the Midwest.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I am pretty much obsessed with long walks/"city hikes" and architectural photography on days with good light. I walked three hours in Vallejo, an aging Navy Shipyard town with some pretty interesting, if tattered old neighborhoods (including a working class hillside neighborhood built higgly piggly over a thirty year period that confirms my utter distaste for modern tract home suburbs-give me this scraggly but interesting neighborhood any day over the posh new tracts of identical beige garages-with-attached-living modules we build in California )

Yesterday, I went to the City, where in addition to a nice hike in Hayes Valley, Western Addition, and the Castro, I indulged in one of my NEGATIVE obsessions: folk art (new 20th century Day of the Dead platter from a well-known Tonala, Mexico artist)

I used to be cycling obsessed, but I just don't enjoy riding in chilly, overcast weather and I really enjoy my hiking just as much, so....

Maybe this Srping I'll get back into cycling. Its much more intense exercise, and I need to lose the poundage that has gathered over the years, despite the long hikes.

Registered
    Mar 2004

My kids...

Short Day Trips....
    My wife....
    Learning.....
    Mt. Dew/Coca Cola and Arizona Ice Tea- Reason I still have a gut...
    Treadmill- I've really gotten attached to this machine that allows you to walk/run while watching the TV....ha ha ha....certainly more so in SE Florida where the scene is cars, pavement and buildings mostly (sometimes a stinky lake or canal)
    Spending time with the kids at the park....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Skate skiing. The feeling of gliding through the trees when everything is covered with snow is amazing.

mmm....Running....

I totally hear Bear about the "natural" high from running. As a former High School Track and Cross-Country runner, on-average, ran anywheres from 2500 to 3000 miles a year. That natural high was definatley a kick!! The best part was racing and that feeling that the andreline gives you at the start of a race, tummy fluttering, everything ansy and what have you.

Going into the Navy, I went from 125 to 165 in 13 weeks, and when I got out in 1995, I was at 190. Running for me has not been the same, knees, back, aches and pains, oh my!!!!!

My new obsession is Hockey. I started playing in High School, but was such a lightweight, got pushed all over the ice to the point where my coach told me "Horlacher, if you can't play, get in the way!!"

At 225, playing hockey is great!!! Specially physcially in front of the net. I play hockey typically 5-6 days a week. Between practices with my pee-wees, College Hockey practices, Men's League, and anything else, I get my fill. But it is definatley a positive addiction!!!
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Reading. I learn a lot.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Work....and this place.

Reading, my little vacation every night. Shooting, the zone you get into when it's right means that those evil little clay birds don't stand a chance. You actually forget everything except front sight and target.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Oh, I left out Simcity. nighthawk's comments reminded me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 18 Dec 2012, 11:28 AM
  2. Feeling Positive About Currency
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 24 Oct 2008, 3:52 PM
  3. Replies: 51
    Last post: 04 Jun 2005, 2:38 PM
  4. Making motions in the positive
    Land Use and Zoning