Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Whose' got your Christmas Spirit? The Contractor's Guild of NAZI Horticulturalists!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Whose' got your Christmas Spirit? The Contractor's Guild of NAZI Horticulturalists!

Feeling down around the holidays? Why not celebrate the way the Third Reich did? Thatís right. Plant a swastika flower garden for your Judeo-Christian friends this holiday season. Perhaps a burning cross for your friends enjoying Kwanza also?

Quote Originally posted by Newspaper
    Plants sow seeds of hate
    Fiona Hudson, city editor
    10 Dec 04

A FLORAL foul-up has left a city street lined with swastika shapes in a week of major Jewish celebrations.

Gardeners hired by Melbourne City Council intended to arrange the purple and white pot plants into neat geometric shapes. But they left six 3m garden beds along Swanston St displaying large Nazi symbols. Jewish community representatives were appalled last night by the timing of the blunder. City venues including Federation Square are hosting hundreds of Jews....
    Read More of this heartwarming tale of love and compassion during the holidays...
    http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2862,00.html

Registered
    Apr 2003
    WOW

I am sure someone will get fired for that one...

duh!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Ah.... the swastika.... a bastardized Hindu symbol of power now apparently forever linked to atrocities made by madmen over 50 years ago. Isn't it time to move on?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    How could that be a mistake? Seriously, how can you mistake a swastika for a "neat geometric shape"?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Time for the remedial cultural sensitivity class!
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ironically, if you reverse the nazi symbol, it is a Navajo symbol meaning 'peace.'
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Ah.... the swastika.... a bastardized Hindu symbol of power now apparently forever linked to atrocities made by madmen over 50 years ago. Isn't it time to move on?
    If it weren't still used to represent the same hatred, I am sure there are many that could "move on"; however, I can't imagine anyone seeing this symbol and thinking about anything other than the "atorcities made by madmen over 50 years ago".

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    This man has.

Seriously, it'll be a few hundred years before the swastika becomes associated with anything aside from Nazis. Before and after the Third Reich, a powerful symbol indeed.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    This man has.

Seriously, it'll be a few hundred years before the swastika becomes associated with anything aside from Nazis. Before and after the Third Reich, a powerful symbol indeed.
    Isn't he one of Fairfield residents and Giff's former neighbor?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    This man has.

FRANK SO LIVES!!!!!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Oy! Yes some one is gonna get it for this blunder
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Isn't he one of Fairfield residents and Giff's former neighbor?

He looks sort of familiar, but alas he is a crazy Canadian....
    ďAs soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fallĒ
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

NOPE! NOT NOW, NOT EVER!

Sorry, but my mother lived under the Nazi jackboot for nearly six years. I will not ever forget nor will I ever forgive.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I was in Melbourne two weeks ago - I'll have to check my Swanston Street pics to see if I picked these up.

I doubt anyone will get fired Michaelskis - it is pretty hard to fire someone in this country because of a single event.

This story didn't make any news I saw over here BTW. It's funny what does and doesn't get picked up by the international news agencies. We've had two fatal shark attacks in the last week - I have been expecting to see something on Cyburbia about that.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    NOPE! NOT NOW, NOT EVER!

Sorry, but my mother lived under the Nazi jackboot for nearly six years. I will not ever forget nor will I ever forgive.
    Ditto, but it was my grandmother and grandfather that had to live through it...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The 'ol ANZAC spirit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 25 Apr 2013, 9:55 AM
  2. Kindred Spirit Animals
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 07 Jun 2011, 2:42 PM
  3. Replies: 52
    Last post: 20 Aug 2009, 9:05 PM