Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Holiday Parties- what to bring?

Registered
    Dec 2004

Holiday Parties- what to bring?

The city hall holiday party is on monday- it says bring dish to pass. Any safe ideas?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Well, if you have enough people contributing I'm sure everyone will find something good to eat...I wouldn't worry too much about trying to provide something that everyone will eat (e.g. veggie only, no pork, seafood, nuts, etc.). Do you have a speciality or are you accepting suggestions from the throbbing brain?

I can give you a really really good vegetarian chili recipe.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    lets make it easy and easy to transport. Icy sidewalks + pot of bubbling goop = no good. Other than that, I'm up for anything !!

Oh, and how much do I bring? I would anticpate around 30 people...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Do you like to cook? Do you have time to cook? If not, someone has to bring the dinner rolls right?

Sausage rolls?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    THis thursday is our holiday banquet. On the menu Spiral sliced ham, with several repeating cheesy casserole thingies, I got the dish to pass list last...Im bringing chinese cabbage salad with hot chili oil and sweet and sour spareribs.

It's a gamble, Im interning...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I always keep it simple, since I can never be certain that I would have a way to heat things, don't want it to be difficult to eat, etc. I will usually get some fruit and veggies. Baby carrots, brocolli, strawberries, and similar things work. Of course, if you do not like the people you work with, you could get some fragrant cheeses and herring.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    My husband is in the army. Years and years of potluck social events has taught me the following:

Do not bring something that needs something to go with it unless you provide the side dish as well. So, if you make meat with gravy, you better also bring the potatoes to go with it.

Of course, meat with gravy is a bad idea to begin with: it is too messy, requires too many serving utensils, etc. A good rule of thumb is that it should be something you can eat with no utensils and assume that all you may have is a paper plate and paper napkins. For this reason, cupcakes are a better choice than a cake that has to be cut and eaten with a fork.

Anything that lends itself well to individual portions -- like cupcakes, cookies, and various non-desert "finger foods" -- are good choices. Unless the event is extremely well planned, there is likely to be an abundance of deserts but insufficient dinner foods. I have seen things like tiny eggrolls go over well. It is good to find something like that which is both "finger food" and a hearty food that stands well on its own for dinner. Such items disappear rapidly, if they are well-prepared.

For that reason, I mastered the art of making barbeque ribs even though I do not eat them. After that, I never had anything to take home but an empty dish.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    A bucket of Extra-crispy.....

Maybe do some quesadillas and slice them. Warm in microwave before service.

I can get you a great pesto/cream cheese dip recipe that is one step from heaven...

If you feel like doing something like a dip...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ours is Thursday night and I'm bringing a sliced meat and cheese platter (thanks Publix). We've rented an eight floor condo overlooking the Gulf to conduct the festivus.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    We need a recipe thread. Some of this stuff is making my mouth water (Tranplanner, Jen.)

(Not you guys, the dishes you mentioned).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like to bring homemade meatballs... the yummy sweet and sour sauce I make simmers up a yummy aroma that drives my co-workers crazy. But anything that you make in a crockpot/slow cooker will do the same thing. Torture before reward!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here's one that's gotten raves wherever I've served it, for many years (thank you Southern Living). You only have to worry about the vegetarians since it has bacon and sour cream:

Spinach Pinwheels

1 10-oz. Package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 8-oz. Container sour cream
    1 bunch green onions, chopped
    1 1-oz. Envelope Ranch-style dressing mix
    1 3-0z. jar bacon bits
    9 10-inch flour tortillas

Combine first 6 ingredients; spread on tortillas. Roll up, jellyroll fashion; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours. Cut into inch thick slices.

Yield: 6 dozen

The great thing about this is, you can make it ahead, freeze it, and then thaw it for about an hour or so and then slice, which is easier.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    thanks for all the great ideas! I'm being inspired! Keep them, coming though- I'm sure i'm not the only one with this dilemma!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I like food, food is good. (sorry, just went to the building party)
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Here's one that's gotten raves wherever I've served it, for many years (thank you Southern Living). You only have to worry about the vegetarians since it has bacon and sour cream:
    Just a tip from a vegetarian: check the label on your bacon bits. A lot of them don't contain any bacon! Many (Most? All, unless they say "REAL bacon bits"?) are actually bacon-flavored soy bits. Maybe some vegetarians won't like the flavor, so I'd still warn them, but you can tell them that they are vegetarian safe.
    Thanks for the recipe.

EDIT: In case anyone wants to try this: My girlfriend makes a similar thing that's good for parties. The filling is a mix of salsa, cream cheese and shredded cheese. Sorry, don't have exact recipe. But you mix em up, put them on the tortillas, roll em up, and chill them. Then slice and serve.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Rice Krispy Treats - You don't have to worry about keeping it warm, or reheating, and people always love them.

My second favorite thing to bring is devilled eggs - again, don't need to heat them up, and the people that love them really LOVE and appreciate them.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Sweet Mother of......

Quote Originally posted by Jen
    THis thursday is our holiday banquet. On the menu Spiral sliced ham, with several repeating cheesy casserole thingies, I got the dish to pass list last...Im bringing chinese cabbage salad with hot chili oil and sweet and sour spareribs.

It's a gamble, Im interning...
    CHINESE CABBAGE SALAD = Florida Swamp GAS attack Oh my god....this is a funny dish to bring, but substitute the spareribs with authentic BAKED BEANS and Hard Boiled Eggs.....only if you do this....post a sign that says:

NO SMOKING (Dangerous Methane Gas Concentrations)......

BW HA HA HA HA ......BWA HA HA HA HA HAHA.........

My suggestion is a RUM cake......only use 151 and triple the amounts.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Work sample question - to bring or not to bring
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 12:40 PM
  2. Workplace holiday parties
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 03 Dec 2010, 8:56 PM
  3. Office Holiday Parties