Urban planning community

Poll results: Do we need a book review forum on Cyburbia?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 68.75%
  • No

4 25.00%
  • Other

1 6.25%
Closed thread

Thread: Do we need a book review forum on Cyburbia?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Do we need a book review forum on Cyburbia?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Huh???

Books....what are these books you speak of.....? Like I have time to read with three kids......... The only reading I get done is from books on tape or short stories + magazines, journals and other "quick" reads.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That would be a GREAT forum! I'd be a willing volunteer...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 2001
    In fact, it would be nice to have two forums under the heading.

"Planning/Urban realted" and "recreational reads"

within each forum could be a number of threads, each thread heading could be the name of the book and author. And each reivew or impression of the book could be posted within the thread.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Maybe even a little book club?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 2003
    No, books are trouble. Just ask the government.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    A book review/Book clube forum is an interesting idea and would make an interesting forum i'd be willing to participate in.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I trade book recommendations with TN and SC all the time. I 've been trying to get this into our work newsletter, but the editor is a nazi. I think it would be fun.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Honestly, my first thought was "no i dont have time for that". But on reflection, if our members are willing to spend the time to be serious and critical on a book review, why not? It might actually draw me to read things that I would pass on first glance.

I say go for it.

Dan??

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    If folks are really interested in a subforum for a book club or book review, and it's not going to fade away after a few posts, I can create a child forum underneath the FAC, much like the fantasy football club.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OK...so if this is going to happen...is it just reviews...or do people want to participate in a book club in a sense...or both? And would this just be focused on planning-related books? Or is anything game?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There could be a few up-sides to this. A discussion thread on planning books might attract more users from the academical world. Also, ALL BOOKS DISCUSSED IN THE FORUM SHOULD BE PURCHASED THROUGH THE CYBURBIA LINK TO YOUR LOCAL INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE, AMAZON(dot)COM. Sorry to shout, but hey, if we're going to start buying books, we should help out Cyburbia with a portion of the proceeds.

We can all suggest a book or two, select those that seem to be the most interesting to everyone, and then run a poll to pick the book we start with.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    ALL BOOKS DISCUSSED IN THE FORUM SHOULD BE PURCHASED THROUGH THE CYBURBIA LINK TO YOUR LOCAL INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE, AMAZON(dot)COM.
    That, or a local independent or small chain bookstore if there's one in your area; Tattered Cover in Denver, Powell's in Portland, Joseph-Beth in Cleveland, and the like. Supporting small and medium-sized businesses will ensure that they'll be there in the future.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I can create a child forum underneath the FAC, much like the fantasy football club.
    Thanks Dan! This is great!

Just so everyone knows, this poll closes out in 9 days - on Christmas Day, I suppose. Right now, it looks favorable for this new subforum. After then, we'll get a chance to see how strong the poll really was as an indicator for a new Cyburbia-book-nook. Perhaps we'll soon be able to pay homage - literally - to the old "Cyburbia Cafe" of yesteryear?!!!

Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    OK...so if this is going to happen...is it just reviews...or do people want to participate in a book club in a sense...or both? And would this just be focused on planning-related books? Or is anything game?
    I would say anything that is specific to books and about any book that interests planners and Cyburbians is fair game. I know, that's a wide-open scope, but I think "books" is specific enough for broad-based appeal to keep this subforum alive for the long-term. But that's my opinion and I am not making the rules here. We can keep it specifc to planning books, but then how do we find the latitude to accept books like "Devil in the White City" which is only tangentally related to planning, but because of its historical context of Chicago during the Columbian Exposition of 1893, it is quite appealing to planners, historians, and urbanists alike.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    Poll closed. Welcome to the new subforum.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Perhaps we'll soon be able to pay homage - literally - to the old "Cyburbia Cafe" of yesteryear?!!!.
    Sure! I can turn on threaded mode, and allow users who aren't registered to post here.

Uhhh ... maybe not.

My thoughts for a book club -- and you don't have to follow it -- is to have two books of the month; one built-environment related, the other a "civilian" book. Devil and the White City could be considered built environment-related; it's not a dry APA Press technical publication, but it does hold a lot of appeal to planners and urbanists.

Right now, I'm reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, and The Smell of Apples by Mark Behr.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Maybe we should move the "neverending what are you reading now" thread into this subforum to provide for non-planning related stuff? Probably best to move it here in any event - I'll get right on it.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We definitely need separate threads for favorite Mysteries, favorite hostoricals, and favorite chick books. Trust me, TN, SC, and I could keep these going for a long time!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I 've been trying to get this into our work newsletter, but the editor is a nazi. I think it would be fun.
    Beat her down and let her know that you are a Goddess and she is a mere mortal.

I think this would be great fun. However, reading is something I haven't been able to do in so long especially not with a toddler and 2 jobs. Short stories are great.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Also, ALL BOOKS DISCUSSED IN THE FORUM SHOULD BE PURCHASED THROUGH THE CYBURBIA LINK TO YOUR LOCAL INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE, AMAZON(dot)COM.
    Sorry, I'm a "library" kind of gal. I purchase very few books, but read 4-5, at least, a week.

Does that mean I can't play??

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Can I suggest when a review or discussion is started, the thread name must be the book name. It will make later referencing easier, limit duplicate threads and make choosing to join in (or not) quicker.

IMO, this is a good idea.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BIH80
    IMO, this is a good idea.
    Yes it is.

Thanks.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    Obviously, we now have the Book Club forum. Thread closed.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Book list and review
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jun 2010, 10:18 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jun 2008, 3:04 PM
  3. Book Review
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Sep 2006, 9:39 AM