Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Question - Get an Answer

Registered
    Nov 2002

Ask a Question - Get an Answer

This is a thread dedicated to the little questions you've always wanted an answer for. Maybe its an embarassing question you wouldn't ask someone in person, or maybe just a bit of trivia that someone here can solve.

So go ahead . . . ask a question (even a "stupid" one) and get an answer.

Mine isn't embarassing but maybe someone will know the answer:

What is the origin and/or meaning of the "Obey" Andre the Giant stickers posted in hip urban areas? Is it pure camp or is there a deeper meaning?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I dont think I have ever seen them but then again I dont look for them.

BTW dont you KNOW the answer is 42?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why do you always see only one discarded shoe in the road? And the related followup question - what happens to half the socks that seem to disappear whenever you do laundry?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    ...And the related followup question - what happens to half the socks that seem to disappear whenever you do laundry?
    You haven't danced the "Time Warp" enough.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I first saw these during the 2000 election season. Never knew it was Andre the Giant though. I thought it was supposed to be a Big Brother reference. Like you're supposed to be a complacent, obedient citizen who doesn''t question authority. You could find them in downloadable form on Independent Media Center websites. There was a similar one with distortions of Gore's and Bush's faces that made them look very similar and read "Choose One", suggesting that they were both products of the same corrupt system.

But they do seem to crop up on walls in hip, edgy urban 'hoods.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Why doesn’t pi have an end if a circle has a start and stop point to be complete?

How does the internet work?

How can people sell stars?

Why can’t we manipulate the space time continuum?

If light has a mass (that is how black holes work) why can’t we manipulate it better?

Do wormholes exist in space, and if so what is on the other side?

Is it possible to control physical characteristics of things with mind waves?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

If you listen though the hole of a 45 rpm record, will Jerry Garcia talk to you from the “other side”?

What are the limits to the human mind?

What are Ghosts and are they real?

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    What is the origin and/or meaning of the "Obey" Andre the Giant stickers posted in hip urban areas? Is it pure camp or is there a deeper meaning?

http://www.obeygiant.com/

A few years ago when the artist's home was threatened by wildfires - a friend of mine received in the mail a large bulk of his artwork. She offered some artwork to us - because the artist would prefer the art to be given away rather than burnt. The meaning behind the Andre the Giant stickers is kind of a absurdist movement from my understanding. But here's what the artist thinks:

The OBEY sticker campaign can be explained as an experiment in Phenomenology. Heidegger describes Phenomenology as "the process of letting things manifest themselves." Phenomenology attempts to enable people to see clearly something that is right before their eyes but obscured; things that are so taken for granted that they are muted by abstract observation.

The FIRST AIM OF PHENOMENOLOGY is to reawaken a sense of wonder about one's environment. The OBEY sticker attempts to stimulate curiosity and bring people to question both the sticker and their relationship with their surroundings. Because people are not used to seeing advertisements or propaganda for which the product or motive is not obvious, frequent and novel encounters with the sticker provoke thought and possible frustration, nevertheless revitalizing the viewer's perception and attention to detail. The sticker has no meaning but exists only to cause people to react, to contemplate and search for meaning in the sticker. Because OBEY has no actual meaning, the various reactions and interpretations of those who view it reflect their personality and the nature of their sensibilities.

Many people who are familiar with the sticker find the image itself amusing, recognizing it as nonsensical, and are able to derive straightforward visual pleasure without burdening themselves with an explanation. The PARANOID OR CONSERVATIVE VIEWER however may be confused by the sticker's persistent presence and condemn it as an underground cult with subversive intentions. Many stickers have been peeled down by people who were annoyed by them, considering them an eye sore and an act of petty vandalism, which is ironic considering the number of commercial graphic images everyone in American society is assaulted with daily.

Another phenomenon the sticker has brought to light is the trendy and CONSPICUOUSLY CONSUMPTIVE nature of many members of society. For those who have been surrounded by the sticker, its familiarity and cultural resonance is comforting and owning a sticker provides a souvenir or keepsake, a memento. People have often demanded the sticker merely because they have seen it everywhere and possessing a sticker provides a sense of belonging. The Giant sticker seems mostly to be embraced by those who are (or at least want to seem to be) rebellious. Even though these people may not know the meaning of the sticker, they enjoy its slightly disruptive underground quality and wish to contribute to the furthering of its humorous and absurd presence which seems to somehow be antiestablishment/societal convention. Giant stickers are both embraced and rejected, the reason behind which, upon examination reflects the psyche of the viewer. Whether the reaction be positive or negative, the stickers existence is worthy as long as it causes people to consider the details and meanings of their surroundings. In the name of fun and observation.

Shepard Fairey, 1990
    Last edited by teshadoh; 15 Dec 2004 at 3:23 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Thanks!

I will obey.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Wow, Teshadoh gave a really really good answer to the 'obey' question. Now if only the eternal 'one foot' question could receive equal treatment....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Why doesn’t pi have an end if a circle has a start and stop point to be complete?
    Pi is a transcendental number, and is not the root of any polynominal with rational coefficients.

How does the internet work?
    Computer A trades information with Computer B, with a few other million computers between A and B.

How can people sell stars?
    I think actual stars are beyond ownership by humans (except perhaps a collective ownership of our sun). I do know that people sell the naming rights to stars. But I've never heard of the star itself being sold. (Can you imagine the delivery fee for an actual star!)

We can, but only in a single direction (the future, not the present or past) and at a single speed (one second per second). In fact, we can't help but to affect the STC, just in a fixed direction and at a fixed rate.

If light has a mass (that is how black holes work) why can’t we manipulate it better?
    Light behaves like both a particle (something having mass) and a wave (like a form of energy). (Light is really weird in that way.) We're not as good at manipulating energy as we are at manipulating mass.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Wow, Teshadoh gave a really really good answer to the 'obey' question. Now if only the eternal 'one foot' question could receive equal treatment....
    Just to clarify - the first paragraph was from my mind, the rest isn't. I didn't want to give anyone that impression that I was original or smart or anything...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    We can, but only in a single direction (the future, not the present or past) and at a single speed (one second per second). In fact, we can't help but to affect the STC, just in a fixed direction and at a fixed rate.
    Obviously, you don't have a DeLorean, a flux capacitor, and 21 jigawatts of power...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Does bad luck/news always come in threes? And with that can you have Three, groups of three bad luck/news events?

Also, when you experience a setback or hardship, does it seem or does it exist that you will inevitibly be hit with more hardship? Can you see where this is going? The never ending piling of hardships on the boiker.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Obviously, you don't have a DeLorean, a flux capacitor, and 21 jigawatts of power...
    1.21 gigawatts. and you have to travel at 88 mph.. kilometers don't cut it in time travel.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    1.21 gigawatts. and you have to travel at 88 mph.. kilometers don't cut it in time travel.
    But with 21 gigawatts, you get first class seating and champagne...

Is the world overpopulated?

Registered
    Feb 2003

Tardis

You're also lacking a TARDIS. Time and Relative Dimension in Space Machine (time and space machine).
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop

One of my colleagues has one on his computer monitor... I just figured it was the name of a band.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    Is the world overpopulated?
    Simple answer is "no".

Answer a little more detailed is, "Not yet."

More detailed answer includes clarifications. "Depends on what you mean by 'overpopulated'."

Even though the growth rates in many countries have slowed considerably there are other considerations. Even with slower growth rates the world still gets more populated. At what point does the world struggle to care for and feed its' residents? What affect does the newest actuary table have, especially as the world's most-populous places become more health sophisticated?

Sure, I read Paul Erlich's "The Population Bomb" back in the early 1970's. Most of those dire predictions did not come true.....yet. So was he wrong about what would happen or just wrong about when it would happen?

BTW.....some will crack a joke about "starting a war" to control population. Me thinks that most early deaths are caused by geographical "circumstances" (famine, floods, etc.) or political policies of tin-horse mid-continent African dictators or currently-imprisoned members of a certain middle east country that seems to harbor a number of American soldiers. War kills, but so does all that other stuff.

Latex Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Do Maister & michaelskis carpool to work, and if so, does the duck ride in the front passenger seat and michaelskis in the back?

BOT:Who stole my garbage can?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Why is it, that in our American "marketplace", we have to manufacture and successfully "market" urinal screens that have bright colors and all of these different fragrances? For instance, one (1) of our biggest selling urinal screens is a deep blue with a bubblegum smell. It is called, naturally, "Blue / Bubblegum".

WTF.....men take aim at these things and after just a couple well-aimed shots they have no scent!

I make money on this. Thank you, guys.

Uribear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    We can and we do and, no, I don't want to try to explain.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    How does a "cookie" work?

Why do so many people seem to accept such crappy tasting mass produced food products?

Why do I constantly play with my wedding band (pulling it on/off, spinning it, etc.)?

Could one make a decent living producing and selling mirco-brewed root beer?

Is Chicago's Austin neighborhood really a "bad" area or is it deemed so simply because it is some large and aggregrated across that area. Is it OK-ish in certain areas?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Do Maister & michaelskis carpool to work, and if so, does the duck ride in the front passenger seat and michaelskis in the back?

BOT:Who stole my garbage can?
    Yes, yes, and yes. But they have to change out of their women's clothing once they get to work, because they live in a female only apartment building.

It was George.
    Last edited by mendelman; 15 Dec 2004 at 7:02 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    How does a "cookie" work?
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup butter flavored shortening
    3/4 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons Mexican vanilla extract
    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups milk chocolate chips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
    In a large bowl, cream together the butter flavored shortening, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla .Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
    Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until light brown. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Then eat them...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Jun 2012, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 5