Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The 2010 Eurovision Song Contest

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The 2010 Eurovision Song Contest

Yes, this is the time of year when all of Europe unites to hear our young talent, classically trained in the superior performing arts academies of Vienna, Paris and London, sing authentic, genuine power ballads and happy melodies in the spirit of friendly international competition. Unlike the Americans, of course, who never use the words "friendly" and "international" in the same sentence, or even paragraph. World Series? Like last year, when the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles played the New York Yankees? Oh, wait ... you only let American teams play, because your pride is so strong you fear losing to the country that you unjustly attacked with nuclear weapons in 1945. I guess your wars are also friendly international competitions too, huh?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The only reasons I've ever heard of Eurovision before was because that was how the band ABBA broke onto the scene when they won the competition back in the early/mid 1970's. I also recall reading a couple of years ago about how one of the acts had an arguably political message with the song they performed. This was evidently against the rules. I guess they only allow walking on sunshine cotton candy pop tunes.

Someone please provide appropriate 'Waterloo' youtube link. Thanks.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Victory! Deutschland for the win!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Caption contest: 22 November 2010
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 29 Nov 2010, 12:35 PM
  2. Caption Contest: 16 September 2010
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Sep 2010, 2:13 PM
  3. Caption Contest: 5 September 2010
    Friday Afternoon Club