Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's Right With America?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    LOL, you too? the red wine just hit me, wow - plus fog and it really hits you hard up here - LOL

okay, off to sleepy-time...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    LOL, you too? the red wine just hit me, wow - plus fog and it really hits you hard up here - LOL

Off-topic:
    okay, off to sleepy-time...
    Off-topic:
    l-p, ya'll need to visit us here in Florida. ZG and I are good hosts. And you'd meet Rumpy! We'll get you straightened out. We drink white wine, too

I screwed this one up big time...MODs, is it reallly bad?.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I agree with many previous posts and most identify with opportunity and geography as being two superior traits for the US.

Getting a good education is key and traveling this great land can certainly broaden one's horizons.

Freedom of speech and religion.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Low taxes
    Hot women
    Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, and Ted Nugent
    Jack Daniels and Coca Cola
    The right to own firearms
    The ability to vote
    The freedom to practice whichever religion you wish
    The right to speak out
    The greatest athletes
    The greatest variety of, and most excellent, cuisine
    The lowest unemployment rates around
    The world's most powerful economy
    The strongest, most purposeful, good-intentioned military in the world
    The breadbasket of the world
    The most breathtaking, and widest variety of, natural features in the world
    The place where people come from around the globe when in need of a major medical procedure
    The place where people come from around the globe looking for a job
    The place where people come from around the globe seeking better education
    A large segment of the population looking out for the well-being of animals and the environment
    Our focus on children
    Our confidence
    Our patriotism
    Our faith in God (or a higher power) - for a majority of the population
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Freedom to have and voice an opinion
    Going to bed at night knowing my house will not be raided and my family taken
    Having the ability to achieve my dreams through hard work
    Free K-12 education
    Right to vote
    Cheap gas
    Low taxes compared to every other westernized country
    Being able to travel freely about inside and outside the U.S.
    Relative ease in finding work (it may not be what you want, but I've never been w/o work)
    Relatively uncensored media
    Its often stunning natural wonders
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    America is one of a handful of nations that allows fairly large numbers of people to immigrate. This keeps our culture infused with fresh blood and fresh ideas. The friction over immigration has always been around but I think the benefits outweigh it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    America is one of a handful of nations that allows fairly large numbers of people to immigrate. This keeps our culture infused with fresh blood and fresh ideas. The friction over immigration has always been around but I think the benefits outweigh it.
    I am all for immigration so long as it is legal. As you said it keeps the culture fresh and keep the population growing. Most work harder than you or I ever will and are grateful for the opportunity to be here and experience a life that they never thought possible in their own country. My in-laws began to come to the U.S. from Israel in 1980 one by one and worked a multitude of crap jobs, lived cheap, saved and saved until they were able to open their own restaurant in 1989 which has become quite successful.

I think that they keys to having a successful immigration policy is to limit numbers of persons from each country so that there is not an overwhelming number from one particular region/country. This has been achieved in the past through the Diversity Visa Lottery program http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1317.html where individuals apply to obtain a visa through a lottery to immigrate legally to the U.S. This is a multistep program and has educational and work experience requirements to ensure additions to the working pool and to bring in people who are a burden.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I can't be as specific as I was in the what's wrong, but I think the 1st Amendment is what's right & wrong with America. Also, the only thing right I can think of is our freedom to do anything, but that too is our downfall when taken to the extreems.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Free agency
    The First Amendment
    For the most part, we are good people
    We have some cool cities
    wine country (CA, OR, WA, and others)
    our scenic wonders
    we have the freedom to complain about what is wrong with our country
    hollywood we make some damn fine movies
    the fact that we are not the best at everything, particularly in sports (soccer, rugby, most winter sports, etc.)
    college football
    tailgating
    attending sporting events and not having to worry too much about hooligans
    BBQ

It is interesting that people can easily identify what is wrong with America, but evidently do not have as easy of time identifying what is right.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    BBQ
    Hear hear! Summer BBQ season is getting into full swing and the city I work in has a 2 day cook-off. Last year I got to sit in the judging room and help the contest reps enter in all the score sheets from the judges and got hooked on BBQ.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    [Dennis Leary Speak] You know whatís great about America, let me tell you. We live in a country that I can own my own house, sit out on the back porch with a beer in one hand, an oversize metal spatula in the other to flip the burgers that I am burning on my gas grill that I bought at Home Depot on my day off, while listening to Aerosmith on the radio as my wife and kids play in the pool in the back yard, that is if I had a pool, wife, or kids, but I can because I live here. If I donít like my neighbor, I can put up a fence to keep him out, but if I do, I can call him over and ask of he wantís one of these burgers and a nice cold beer. We have hockey, baseball, basketball, American Football, and its counterpart soccer, we have gorgeous women who wear next to nothing and spend time in the sun to get a great tan that also die their hair and try to get guys to notice them, even though they have no intention of ever talking with most of these guys. If I want, I can buy a 69 Camaro and cruse to the cost to go surfing, or I can hop in an overpriced SUV that has more video equipment that Puff Daddyís last video and head to the mountains to ski. I can call in sick or show up early for work. Because I live in America, I donít have to worry about my house getting bombed in the middle of the night, my doctor selling my liver, or whatís left of it, on the back market, or worry if my kids will have a chance to go to school. Best of all, I live in a county that I can say In God we trust, One Nation Under God, go to any Church I want to, and no one, unless I am in California, can tell me that I am not allowed to. If you have a problem with freedom, free speech, or the opportunity to live on in the greatest place in the world, then move to another freaking country. [/Dennis Leary Speak]
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    This one is like the test question you skp and come back to... not exactly sure how to write it.

In truth the biggest positive for me is that is is the culture that formed who I am. And I appreciate it for that. I may beat my head against the wall for my short-lived eternity, but I feel previleged to be able to criticize the US from within, as opposed to many in other countries who are relegated to criticizing the US from outside its borders.

Really, it is the ultimate love-hate relationship. A perfect fit for the German-Scandinavian who will carry the guilt of a protestant upbringing with him until death.

Also, because of the dominance of English as the international language, I appreciate that it's my first language. That SHOULD NOT be construed as me thinking that this is just, or that English should be forced on everyone (I could have survived on English during my 2 years in Sweden, but I learned Swedish anyway)... it's just nice, and I leave it at that.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    May 2004
    Freedom.

The fact that I have the freedom to criticize and say everything that is wrong with America.

The fact that whenever I want I have to freedom to quit my job, move to a new awesome place and start over.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Adding A Campaign

Voting open an old thread.....

The 2008 Presidential Campaign. Sure, it has been too long. But it sure has been interesting. Being in a position to witness this history is my take (for today) on what is right with America.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Bill and Hillary.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1) We are really making strides toward being a healthy multi-racial society (in the least likely places).

2) We are beginning to shift toward mixed-use multi-modal development and away from auto-centric wastelands (in the least likely places).

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    With a warm civilian salute to all those who served or are serving.....

Decoration Day
    Now known as Memorial Day.

Those who serve.....now that's what is right about America.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    President Franklin Roosevelt's Four Freedoms -

Freedom of speech and expression
    Freedom of religion
    Freedom from want
    Freedom from fear

What's right about America
    is that although we have a mess of problems, we have great capacity - intellect and resources - to do some thing about them.
    Henry Ford II
    http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/32155.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. What's Wrong With America?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 87
    Last post: 15 Jul 2012, 1:25 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Apr 2010, 1:30 PM
  3. Sex in America
    Friday Afternoon Club