Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Book Reading Review

Registered
    Sep 2001

Book Reading Review

With the intro of this new subforum, I figured I'd add a little content.

Tuesday night I went to see Tom Wolfe read from his new book "I am Charlotte Simmons".

It was incredible, on a number of levels. The first, I paid extra for a signed copy of the book and a good seat, so when he was reading he was only 15 ft from me and you could really see his face and expression. The second was how personable and charming he was, he described the chapter he was going to read and the characters then started reading, and would stop and explain the characters more. The final thing that was neat was that after the reading the moderator did an interview with him that was really good.

I've started reading the book and am in 30-40 pages out of 600 and it looks good so far.

And yes, even though it is December, he was wearing his signature white suit and two tone white and brown shoes.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Did he read his award winning sex scene passage?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    I want to read the new Tom Wolfe next and now that the semester is over, I can start "The Island at the Center of the World" by Russell Shorto.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Tuesday night I went to see Tom Wolfe read from his new book "I am Charlotte Simmons".
    I heard a review of this book last week on NPR's "Fresh Air with Terry Gross." Great review and sounds like a fun story! If I get a B&N gift card for Christmas, I am definitely buying this book!

You were so lucky to see him in person!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Did he read his award winning sex scene passage?
    No, but now you have my interest piqued. The portion he did read was hilarious. Anyone else ever hear the term "sexile" in university?

sexile - what happens when your roomate needs to use your room and you get the boot. My interpretation.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    No, but now you have my interest piqued.[snip]
    Here's a linky: http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...373442,00.html

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    sexile - what happens when your roomate needs to use your room and you get the boot. My interpretation.
    Been there before! lol great term!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Forgot a humourous quote. When asked if he used teh internet, Wolfe replied with "The internet is lot like knitting, except with knitting you have made something useful when you are done". Considering all of our specific addcition to it, i thought it funny.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Book list and review
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jun 2010, 10:18 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jun 2008, 3:04 PM
  3. Book Review
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Sep 2006, 9:39 AM