Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: If you did not want a permit,why did you bother applying?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004

If you did not want a permit,why did you bother applying?

VENT ON

Monday night I came close to having an applicant arrested at our Board of Appeals meeting! AND it was the person with the simplest request of the night no less.

As soon as the first hearing was read into the record a person in the audience (sitting in the first row) shouts out "I want to know what gives you people the right to sit and pass judgement on what people can do with their land!" The chairman asks if he is the applicant for the hearing that just opened - immediately the first case applicant states "No, I have never seen this person before."

After the first applicant finishes their presentation the heckler again pronounces that his question has not been answered and he wanted to know why the ZBA members can tell people what they can and cannot do. Ultimately the first applicant gets their Special Permit.

The second case is read into the record, a little more complicated due to a variance request and Special Permit requirement. After the applicant withdraws the variance request, the heckler then yells out "I can't believe you people won't let a person build the house they want to build" to which the applicant responds "Will you please shut up!"

This continues on through each of agenda items until we reach his application. At which point his presentation is simply to say " I want to expand my porch - give it to me."

As soon as the first board member starts to ask questions, the applicant shouts him down. After the third Board member gets shouted down and the applicant begins leaving the podium during his tirades, the Chairman finally gives me the okay to call the police to have him removed. At which point the applicant states he will remove himself.

VENT OFF

A fun profession we have all chosen
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    You get the gold star for the nut job this week

Sheesh
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    WOW....

cuckoo....cuckoo....cuckoo....

I don't know if this is acceptable or not, but the chairperson should have addressed him right away and told him that there is proper time to speak and until then shut up (in not so many words). After the second time, they should have told him they will call the cops if he does it again.

No one (you guys, the applicants, the public) should have to sit through that crap.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    The chair was amazingly calm. I probably would have recessed the meeting and called the cops after the second interuption if I were the chair.

By the way, after the guy left the Board did take up his application on its merits and gave it a conditional approval (conditioned upon his supplying the required survey plan - something they might have seen clear to waive had he not behaved the way he did). The applicant was seeking to expand a non-conforming porch a 1' x 12' segment of which was within the setback area but did not encroach beyond the existing house encroachment. It was a slam dunk decision that would have taken less than 5 minutes to approve under normal circumstances.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Did this person drive this van?

Some people are just morrons.... and it's thanks to them that things don't work.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton

Some people are just morrons.... and it's thanks to them that things don't work.
    Probably, but the guy is a contractor! I mean talk about making a big mistake, if the guy ever represents a client before the Board of Appeals in the future he may have lost before he ever begins!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Moderator note:
    See the wacky spin off thread at: AIB - "Where do you get the power to tell me what I can do with my land?"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Was he drunk or a "sky is blue" person?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton

I think I saw this van in southern Indiana???????

Thats the trouble with working in government, you have to deal with all of the people, no matter how wacked out they are. We really get to see the worst of humanity. But the coppers have it even more extreme than we do.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Just learned this morning the guy may be very dangerous, owned a local restaurant and use to keep a rifle and pistol behind the counter. His son is trying to get them away from him.

On a lighter side the video has become the top requested local board meeting to be replayed on local access cable.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 33
    Last post: 13 Dec 2010, 11:28 AM
  2. Should I even bother with planning?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 12 Jul 2010, 6:16 PM
  3. Would this bother you?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 19 Feb 2003, 12:29 AM