Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cell phones on Planes... AIB Bathroom Cell Phones

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Cell phones on Planes... AIB Bathroom Cell Phones

So listening to NPR yesterday, they were talking about allowing Cell Phone use during flight. Personally I'm against this, when I fly I like the white noise lulling me to sleep while I sip a Gin and Tonic. Personally I feel this is too close to be around people who are hashing things out with their SO, talking business, or just gabbing to pass the time.

This Planner's Opinion: Put the phone away and wait till you land (which it used to mean off the plane. I took a flight three weeks ago and someone's phone was out as soon as we touched the ground )
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im not sure why they were worried it would not work in the first place, heck those folks on the flight 9/11 sure used their cells in flight. Ive seen folks use them a handful of times with no problems but yes I dont want some guy getting all hot with his mistress or some stock broker going ape. Its bad enough with the screaming kids.

note not the kids too young to know to pop their ears but the kids the parents dont control.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    note not the kids too young to know to pop their ears but the kids the parents dont control.
    That's not usually reffered to as Kids, but rather as Hyperkinetic brat
    Cell phones in planes... I thought that was kind of dangerous... at least during landing an take off..
    Sort of On topic: People talking (either with someone besides them or on a cell phone) in the middle of the night while you're travelling on a bus; thanks for letting us sleep morron! it's annoying as hell!!!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I hate it just as much when someone comes into the bathroom. All you hear is "Hello", you just don't know whether to answer or not.

I find cell phone use in public mostly an invasion anyway. So far I have avoided getting one and I can drive and go shopping without ohter help or advice.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    I find cell phone use in public mostly an invasion anyway. So far I have avoided getting one and I can drive and go shopping without ohter help or advice.
    I hate cell phones as well, but one broken down car and $75 in late fees for not picking up my daughter later, we now have them... but only for emergencies.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

I seem to be permantly attached to a Nextel. Originally for work but has evolved into a pain. Phones are bad enough but when you can just beep someone it is just like carrying a cb radio around all the time. But with my health issues and living alone and a worried mother I have to keep the thing on all the time. However I do tend to turn the thing off quite frequently. Always at the movies, in any meeting if I even take it in, and occasionaly just to tick my boss off. That's the fun one as he pays the bill.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 09 Sep 2007, 11:05 AM
  2. the cost of cell phones
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Sep 2007, 8:22 PM
  3. Driving while using Cell Phones
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 18 Nov 2006, 11:35 PM