Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GULP! I have to go to the mall this week-end!

Registered
    Aug 2001

GULP! I have to go to the mall this week-end!

If you are like me, you put off your holiday shopping, and this week-end is the last time I'll be able to go out and get some goodies! Wow! I have a lot of shopping ahead of me. I dread this time of year!!!

What about you?

Oh man! I am so scared!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    ewww.. malls!

I got 1/2 of my shopping done last weekend and will wrap up the rest, god willing, this weekend.

I'll stick to Wal-Mart
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

I managed to go more than 3 years without stepping inside a mall (excluding Art House movie theater), from October 2000 to December, 2003. I was getting up close to year again but sadly had to go to the mall earlier this month. Now the countup has to start again.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    If you are like me, you put off your holiday shopping, and this week-end is the last time I'll be able to go out and get some goodies! Wow! I have a lot of shopping ahead of me. I dread this time of year!!!

What about you?
    I haven't been so bad at procrastinating this year. It also helps that my wife actually likes shopping and gets most of the gifts.

Wanigas, if you dread going to the mall just get a cell phone, some tight low-rise jeans and a half shirt and you'll fit right in with the mall girls.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I've managed to avoid the malls so far this year...only because I haven't done much in the way of Christmas shopping. Should be able to finish it via street retail, I hope. Otherwise I'll be sending Mrs. Tranplanner off to brave the mall crowds as she is finished school now.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Mother and sister will be done at one store I have to go to anyways.
    Nephews, at another store I already have to go to.
    Father, family gift, mother buying it.
    BIL, no idea what to get him, probably a case of good beer as my sister makes him drink cheap beer so they can afford other things.

None will be done at a mall.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I finished shopping a couple of weeks ago
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    I finished shopping a couple of weeks ago
    YOU SUCK!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Shop online, free shipping, can drink a few of these and not have to worry about the crowds. My wife has accomplished 100% of our shopping online. Now we just have to find a way to see Santa for our six year old without having to step foot into the mall.

Years ago, when I was single, I used to get all my shopping done before Thanksgiving, then just go to the mall to hang out and watch the pushing and shoving.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    hehe I do lots on amazon.com and start in Aug. We did a good bit of it at Disney when we were there in Sept. And with giving gifts to my family over T-day and Haunkkah so early this year I had to be done. I learned in college to be done before Dec 1 and finals.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I finished my shopping last night and went to the mall only to get a Hickory Farms Cheese and Sausage thingy for my brother who loves those thing.

Other than that all shopping was done in other stores out of the mall

Registered
    May 2002
    I have two more gifts to get, and am lucky enough to work across the street from a mall. It's not so bad there in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. Every year I swear the same thing though, that I'm finally going to take up woodworking and make gifts for the b-level people.

You know who I mean, those people that you have to buy for but wouldn't if you didn't have a connection. My brother-in-law falls into that category!
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'MDONEI'MDONEI'MDONE! No more malls or stores or post offices!

The Sawgrass Mills Mall in Sunrise, FL, is a 2-mile outlet mall with two food courts; More than 300 retail outlets; parking lot holds 12,000 cars; Offers tour group programs. It's a huge tourist destination (lucky City of Sunrise). You can't even get NEAR this place during the holidays. I did some shopping there last year and said never again!

I have noticed that more and more people are using their lunch breaks to shop. So traffic is from H*LL and you don't have enough time to go anywhere! I've found it almost better to go after work.

Key word: ONLINE SHOPPING (so it's 2 words! )

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Do what I did.... Sit down, plan out what you want to get each person by looking at what the stores have on line... then print out a map of the mall, showing the locations of each store, and any exits. Park near the service door, and take the side entrance. This section of the lot is typically not as crowded as the rest of them, and you may have to walk past the bathrooms, and vending machines.

Map out your route from store to store to minimize the time spent in the mall. Also, get there about 11 am. All the early bird shoppers will have left about 10, and the afternoon crowd will not show up till after lunch.

Research your target, make your attach plan, and execute!

(I am done... it took me 25 minutes from the time I drove onto Mall property to the time I drove off).

Registered
    May 2003
    I work in the Carsen Prarie Scott building so I plan on taking lunch at odd times and going down to the store next week.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    (I am done... it took me 25 minutes from the time I drove onto Mall property to the time I drove off).
    Of course... when you include the 18 hours of planning...
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I don't even own a mall
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 29 Dec 2006, 11:41 AM
  2. Let's Go To The Mall!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Nov 2006, 12:38 AM
  3. Gulp!!!!!!!!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9