Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ph.D programs?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004

Ph.D programs?

What's some good Ph.D programs in planning? I worked out that the things I want to learn about are, well, things I need to do research on - which means a more academic setting. I need to know how picky they are, too - while my grades and such aren't totally "meh", they're more "meh" than the OCD grade-hunting types I see flittering off to the 'upper class' places.

There are plenty of good PhD programs out there, but your main focus should be on what you want to study specifically.

Getting into a PhD program is quite difficult as each school typically has five or fewer PhD students start each fall. The school does care about grades/GRE scores etc., but the most important piece of information is your statement of purpose. This is your outline of what you want to study specifically.

The faculty evaluate how well your interests match those of the faculty. They will be trying to determine if there is a faculty member that is appropriate for you to work with directly and whether that faculty member has the time to direct your studies.

In looking at PhD programs you should look at the individual faculty members research to see if there is a fit with your interests.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by OhioPlanner
    There are plenty of good PhD programs out there, but your main focus should be on what you want to study specifically.The faculty evaluate how well your interests match those of the faculty. They will be trying to determine if there is a faculty member that is appropriate for you to work with directly and whether that faculty member has the time to direct your studies.
    That's been the main problem. I want to study how "traffic calming", good streetscape design, and the like can be done or interact with cold weather climate issues.. i've done searches for articles on the subject from a planning viewpoint and come up entirely empty-handed. There is a small number of people in related fields i've found, but they are at colleges which have no transport component, or which are pure engineering (no planning component).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am afraid you will mostly find that topic in engineering fields, and then it will still be uncommon. On a related note, there is now a pdf floating around on the Internets that discusses Low Impact Design for northern climates. Perhaps it won't be long before we see something on traffic calming.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Know where to find said pdf? Maybe there's something in the bibliography.. it might be interesting in and of itself.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Programs abroad
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Jul 2009, 8:18 PM
  2. PhD programs
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Jan 2009, 10:06 AM
  3. UCL vs. LSE programs
    Student Commons