Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cell phones bathroom etiquette

Cell phones bathroom etiquette

I was in the restroom the other day and a guy came up next to me, unzipped and began p*&ing while he was talking on his cell phone. He was multi-tasking. My thought was this is a classic moment to have gas. Unfortunately I did not, but I thought this was gross. My girlfriend had the experience of someone in the ladies room stting there while she talking on the cell phone.

Your thoughts about cell phone bathroom etiquette?????

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They should be banned! It's bad enough when a coworker sidles up next to you and starts talking while you're relieving yourself!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Definitely should be banned - what with the camera phones and everything now! Come on somewhere should be off limits! I mean, do they use their home phones while on the can?
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Creepy when anyone says anything in the can. We have an engineer that will want to talk projects if he sidles up next to you.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2002
    In some places, like a nightclub, the bathroom is the only place quiet enough to make a necessary phone call. But to talk while peeing or pooping is inexcusible.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have stayed at a hotel that has telephones in the bathroom.

I have used my phone in a bathroom at a restaurant/club but not while I was "using" the bathroom.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    I have stayed at a hotel that has telephones in the bathroom.

I have used my phone in a bathroom at a restaurant/club but not while I was "using" the bathroom.
    Thats a phone I would LOVE to put my hands and mouth near (the one in a hotel bathroom)...there was one in one I stayed recently and the thought of using it grossed me out...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Right up / in there with cell phones going off while in church, movie theater, eating a meal, driving a car, etc...
    NO!

EDIT: Adding this quote -

Peter Post, great grandson of etiquette maven Emily Post and director of the Emily Post Institute...

Post's advice for civil cell phone use boils down to paying more attention to one's social setting than to the little device that's begging to be answered.
    "Be a master of your cell phone, not a slave," he said

from: http://news.com.com/Cell+phone+talke...3-5387652.html
    Last edited by JNA; 16 Dec 2004 at 2:51 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Yeah, you shouldn't even bring it with you to the bathroom and in case there's no place to leave it and it happens to ring - DON'T ANSWER IT!!!!

Phones have caller ID for a reason.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I hate when people have phones in the bathroom!

I especially hate when people talk to me while I'm trying to pee. GO AWAY!!!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Gross! I don't want to listen to others grunt, fart, poot, splashdown or Hershey while I'm performing bodily functions. Why would I subject others to that?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2002
    All non-emergency related conversation should be banned in restrooms! I hate it when a co-worker who doesn't speak a dozen words to me all year suddenly acts like I'm his best buddy when I'm in the restroom.

My cell phone has gone off in the restroom. My response was to shut it off. As has already been noted on this thread, there is a caller ID.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 200,000 people with a 99% happiness rating!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    That happened to me once when I was at a bar... (I had a few beers already) and asked the guy if I could talk... he gave me a weird look, and I told him that if he is going to pee and talk at the same time, and we all have to hear his conversation, we should be able to participate, he told the person on the other end that he would call them back. Every one else in the guys room cheered.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Dude that's nothing.....have you ever seen a dude pissing in a urinal while talking on his cell phone and smoking a cig all at the same time?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DennisMaPlanner
    I mean, do they use their home phones while on the can?
    I do when telemarketers call...

"Damn, I've never seen a stool that color before!" *flush*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planizzlator
    Dude that's nothing.....have you ever seen a dude pissing in a urinal while talking on his cell phone and smoking a cig all at the same time?
    I try not to look at the other urinals. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but ... well, you know.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Gross! I don't want to listen to others grunt, fart, poot, splashdown or Hershey while I'm performing bodily functions. Why would I subject others to that?
    Am I the only one who wants an elaboration on the difference between...

...a fart and a poot?
    ...a splashdown and a Hershey?
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    LMAO!! Thanks a lot... just hope I don't have to explain my giggling to my co-workers...

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Breed
    Am I the only one who wants an elaboration on the difference between...

...a fart and a poot?
    ...a splashdown and a Hershey?
    Yes you are the only one...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was in the ladies' room at an amusement park, and the woman in the stall beside mine was talking on her phone. She listened a little, and then said "And I brought the dip." This cycle went on about three times, and she was a little more emphatic each time she repeated the phrase. I don't know why it was so important that SHE brought the dip, but I was pretty sure that I didn't want any.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I was at a bar saturday, and some guy was talking on the phone while peeing in the trough. I think he was shooting a movie though
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kms
    I was in the ladies' room at an amusement park, and the woman in the stall beside mine was talking on her phone. She listened a little, and then said "And I brought the dip." This cycle went on about three times, and she was a little more emphatic each time she repeated the phrase. I don't know why it was so important that SHE brought the dip, but I was pretty sure that I didn't want any.
    Bean dip?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2003
    At least they don't make ring tones that sound like bathroom noises.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    So all of you are saying that you have never talked on the phone while going to the bathroom? Nobody has ever had the pleasure of talking to someone that won't shut up or even take a breath so you can jump in and say "hold on, I have to pee?"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Cell Phone etiquette
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Jul 2013, 2:09 PM
  2. the cost of cell phones
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Sep 2007, 7:22 PM
  3. Driving while using Cell Phones
    Friday Afternoon Club