Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I Miss Republicans

Registered
    Oct 2001

I Miss Republicans

Although definitely a lefty, I've found interesting some (not all, mind you, but some) of the beliefs/statements of our resident "conservatives" vis a vis the current loony tunes neocon/religious right Grand Coalition.

I found this little essay pretty funny and...maybe...spot on:

http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/2004/12...publicans.html

Any comments, left or right?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It all boils down to fiscal responsibility. It was a very good blog post. - Thanks BKM

I've often questioned why we are spending all this money on a system that is 20-30 years past its need.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Dead on. Great blog. Did anyone happen to read Garrison Keilor's missive on changing Republicans before the election?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    I vote pretty solidly Democrat, but I could have easily seen myself voting for an Ike in 1952 or a Nixon in 1968 (given what people knew about Nixon in '68, of course, not what they know now). They didn't start rolling the weirdos out until Reagan. Ike was probably one of the best presidents in American history (the interstate system aside).

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
    -- Eisenhower 1961
    Last edited by jordanb; 17 Dec 2004 at 3:07 PM.

Fiscal conservatism would be nice. In all fairness, I miss the Democrats of yesterday as well. Specifically, I miss Moynihan. I'd like to see his rant on the pussyfooting Dems as well. I've voted for Democrats more than Republicans.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    -- Eisenhower 1961
    The days of presidents using grown up language to convey complex themes is long gone, especially since Kerry lost after "winning" 3 debates.

- We'll smoke 'em out.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2011, 6:05 PM
  2. Republicans eat their own
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 06 Feb 2007, 10:34 AM
  3. Kudos to the Log Cabin Republicans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7