Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rip Hst

Registered
    Sep 2001

Rip Hst

It is sad when a person who was so lively and influential decides it is time to leave this planet.

I am a really big fan of HST and pretty much have every book and even a few older Rolling Stones that contain his stories.

Now for some book coments

His last series of books - "The Proud Highway" and "Fear and Loathing in America" are collections of his correspondence to various people. They are really interesting to read, especially as a fan because you can see the thought process and development of the stories he was writing at the time. The letters provide insight into his personal relationships and thought process of his writing.

Of his classics, I think "Hell's Angels" was his most interesting, it is well written and tells an interesting story focussing on people and providing details into a life that most will never know.

Guess my hope to get a signed copy of a book off of ebay is going to have to be put aside for awhile.

What is your favouritte book by the Dr. and why?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

I love Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It is great how the race that he is supposed to be covering is pushed to the background and the story focuses on his drug and alcohol induced escapades.

Its kind of strange that he died this week. Just last Sunday I was in a mood to read some Hunter S. and I went to my local used bookstore and picked up Hell's Angles and a week later he is dead.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Interesting article by Tom Wolfe on HST.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110006325
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I never read any of his books, but I used to love his articles in Rolling Stone. He was a real original, that's for sure... and he'll be missed.

Registered
    Nov 2002

HST, land use activist

From yesterday's Aspen Times :

Thompson's activism also extended into the nuts and bolts of county government, and he helped pioneer the anti-development streak in local politics that survives to this day. He backed strict land-use controls and the candidates who were willing to impose them. Many of the land-use regulations still in place in Aspen and Pitkin County can be traced back to Thompson's work as a growth-control activist.

"The guy used to call me at 3 a.m. and talk about land use," said Pitkin County Commissioner Mick Ireland.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

"The guy used to call me at 3 a.m. and talk about land use," said Pitkin County Commissioner Mick Ireland.
    That is bitchen!

Registered
    Nov 2004

Feared and Loathed

I didn't know about HST until my freshman year of college ('97). I've been hooked ever since and was horrified by his untimely death. That's one thing to give HST credit for - he did things on his own terms - screw the freakin' man and proper procedure. Let us know how Nixon is doing in the afterlife.

+ Reply to thread