Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Breed reviews "Life & Death of Great American Cities" by Jacobs

3 10.71%
  • boiker takes a look at "Suburban Nation" by Duany et all

2 7.14%
  • mendelman does the "Geography of Nowhere" by Kunstler

2 7.14%
  • mendelman likes to tell you about "The Good City, the Good Life" by Daniel Kemmis

2 7.14%
  • Zoning Goddess really really wants to write a review of "anything" by Clive Cussler

4 14.29%
  • jordanb knows about "The City Reader" and wants to tell you about it

7 25.00%
  • imaplanner is "Looking Backward" by Edward Belamy

2 7.14%
  • Dan is hungry to share "The Smell of Apples" by Mark Behr

2 7.14%
  • Cardinal feels the "Experience of Place" by Tony Hiss

1 3.57%
  • Hceux isn't scared to tell about "Ecology of Fear" by Mike Davis

2 7.14%
  • GeogPlanner reminds us to keep "The City in Mind: Notes on the Urban Condition" by JH Kunstler

1 3.57%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nominate the first book to be reviewed for the Cyburbia Book Club

Registered
    Aug 2001

Nominate the first book to be reviewed for the Cyburbia Book Club

Here is the list of books nominated from the First CBC book nominations thread.

Vote for only one book.

The poll closes about 6:49 pm EST on Thursday, December 23rd, 2004. The book to receive the most votes will be the first book reviewed for the Cyburbia Book Club.

The Cyburbian who nominated the book that receives the most votes must write the review. Or at least designate someone else to do it in his or her stead.

Title format of the review thread should be something like:

Review of Maureen Dowd's "Bushworld"
    Last edited by Wannaplan?; 19 Dec 2004 at 7:03 PM.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    OK, SmartyPants, just because I mentioned Clive Cussler, it is because I am more or less addicted to non-planning, "fun" books. I rarely read non-fiction, and most planning books are sooooo boring.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    OK, SmartyPants, just because I mentioned Clive Cussler, it is because I am more or less addicted to non-planning, "fun" books. I rarely read non-fiction, and most planning books are sooooo boring.
    It's OK ZG....any of Cusslers books would be OK with me.....still need to pick up his latest book, written with his son...Black Wind.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My book didn't make the list?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    My book didn't make the list?
    I'm sorry for the oversight! That's totally my fault.

Could a mod please add an 11th book to this poll? Pretty please?!!!

It would be:

GeogPlanner reminds us to keep "The City in Mind: Notes on the Urban Condition" by JH Kunstler

Registered
    May 2003
    Wow, the city reader is popular. I'd better get cracking on the review I suppose because it's a ~1,500 page book.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    I'm sorry for the oversight! That's totally my fault.

Could a mod please add an 11th book to this poll? Pretty please?!!!
    Moderator note:
    Poll edited to add Geog's book
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    The Cyburbian who nominated the book that receives the most votes must write the review.
    Note to self: Do not make book recommendations.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Wow, the city reader is popular. I'd better get cracking on the review I suppose because it's a ~1,500 page book.
    LOL... too bad I didn't read this before voting, otherwise I would have voted for you just for the fun of seeing you read that thing over the holidays.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Aren't we all supposed to read the book to discuss it with the nominator provirding the introductory post to the book?

As for me and reading anything, right now i have over 1000 pagtes prebooked. (HST book, Tom Wolfe Book, new Coupland book, comics) so I won't be playing for awhile.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Are you talking about that book by LeGates and Stout that's like an anthology? I read that for a course and it was a bear at times. There is so much in there I would think it would be tough to review. I guess it does serve as a good intro for writings on cities.

Registered
    May 2003
    Yes, that's the one.

If it wins, I'll just review the editorial content and selection of texts. There's really no point in reviewing the texts themselves.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Aren't we all supposed to read the book to discuss it with the nominator provirding the introductory post to the book?
    That's what I thought. It's not a review but the lead off in the discussion. I think that other book reviews can be posted as well, but this is the "participation" side of it with the CBC.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Nov 2004
    My thinking is that if it's a longer book, it should just take longer to review it. I'm thinking we should come up with some kind of standard for how much of a book should be absorbed in a given day/week/month etc... so that some of us familial types [pointing at me] can keep up. Maybe 100 pages a week... or maybe just a book a month... with the number of pages spaced out accordingly.... or is just a new book thread each month or so... with discussion ensuing?
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Aug 2001

You folks are over-thinking this.

The top vote-getter will write a review of said book. We're not asking for a thesis-style type of review. Heck, you don't even have to sound like a book review in USA Today. Just make it more substantive than, "I read da book, it shore wuz interestin', now I'm gonna tell muh boss 'bout it."

We trust your analytical ability and writing skillz. Stylistically, you might want to pose two or three questions at the end of your review, just to get a conversation started. Be creative and attach or hotlink some images. Maybe you are into "meta" and would like to link to other reviews at Amazon, Salon, planning.org, or bookslut.com. Just make it interesting so that we can talk about it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Breed
    My thinking is that if it's a longer book, it should just take longer to review it.
    Yeah, I'm thinking that a long book like the City Reader is a tough start...ambitous and interesting, but we are still a fledgling club. Can't scare people away too soon...

Registered
    May 2003
    If it helps, I could post a review of Jacobs' Systems of Survival that I wrote some time ago here to get things rolling. It's an easy read:

http://hafd.org/~jordanb/pyblosxom.p...ems-06-26-2004

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Yeah, I'm thinking that a long book like the City Reader is a tough start...ambitous and interesting, but we are still a fledgling club. Can't scare people away too soon...
    I believe I have The City Reader and it is a collection of shorter works. I think it would be a good candidate for starting threads about short sections of it. That book alone could be discussed for the next 18 months using that format.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    LOL... too bad I didn't read this before voting, otherwise I would have voted for you just for the fun of seeing you read that thing over the holidays.
    I guess some of us are just more evil than others

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If it wins, I'll just review the editorial content and selection of texts. There's really no point in reviewing the texts themselves.
    Sounds good. You received 25% of the vote - more than any other nominee. When should we expect your review to be posted?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    (Sigh). I still think planning books are but a small % of what most of us ever read. Unless we're newbies, of course (sorry newbies).

Registered
    May 2003
    Give me a few weeks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Give me a few weeks.
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks for being the first one out of the gate!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Give me a few weeks.

I am not rushing you... but it has been two weeks. Please give us a status report, if you can. We appreciate your work on this.

Registered
    May 2003
    I got half of it read, but I'm dealing with a school workload now. I knew I should have busted my butt to get it done before classes started. Would you believe this weekend?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Sep 2011, 8:27 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Jun 2011, 8:02 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2008, 12:45 AM