Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Query: the history of shopping malls

Registered
    Feb 2003

Query: the history of shopping malls

An inquiry from my brother, the college professor, who teaches sociology at SUNY-Oswego:

"I'm going to be teaching [a course in] Popular Culture in the spring, but I've decided on an entirely new emphasis: consumer culture. One of the things I'll talk about is the mall. I already have a book for students to read -- Call of the Mall, by Paco Underhill -- a popular book by an anthropologist who studies malls. I'm also familiar with The Malling of America by Kowinski, also a popular book. What I need now is a book or two to inform myself more fully -- a serious book on the development of malls in America. A history of malls, so to speak. Any ideas?"

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CTPlanner
    An inquiry from my brother, the college professor, who teaches sociology at SUNY-Oswego:

"I'm going to be teaching [a course in] Popular Culture in the spring, but I've decided on an entirely new emphasis: consumer culture. One of the things I'll talk about is the mall. I already have a book for students to read -- Call of the Mall, by Paco Underhill -- a popular book by an anthropologist who studies malls. I'm also familiar with The Malling of America by Kowinski, also a popular book. What I need now is a book or two to inform myself more fully -- a serious book on the development of malls in America. A history of malls, so to speak. Any ideas?"
    Yes, A good one from a Southern California perspective is
    City Center to Regional Mall by Richard Longstreth.

Though the book is focused on the evolution of retailing in Los Angeles it can be applied to other citys too. Malls are dealt with in the final chapter.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Harvard Design School Guide to Shopping by Chung, Koolhaus, et al, should be a definitive reference book for any course on consumer culture.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Perhaps some sections from "Surburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream" by Duany, Plater-Zyberk, and Speck would be useful.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    America's Marketplace

http://bookstore.uli.org/Template.cf...&Productid=477

You might check out the other books offered by ULI, which are generally excellent.

www.uli.org
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 May 2012, 9:08 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 08 Mar 2010, 4:55 PM
  3. Replies: 33
    Last post: 15 Dec 2009, 8:39 AM
  4. Shopping malls and urban sprawl
    Design, Space, and Place