Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: How would you rate yourself as a cook?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+ I'm Emeril and Martha's Child

5 10.42%
  • A I make that SH#% Work

8 16.67%
  • A- Great chef and can make anything at any time

8 16.67%
  • B+ I'm very good and make my own pie shells

8 16.67%
  • B I'm good and get no complaints

8 16.67%
  • B- I'm good but occasionally stumble....

6 12.50%
  • C My kids and spouse don't complain

3 6.25%
  • D Stupid is as stupid does/ Lunch lady quality

0 0%
  • F Even hardened prisoners would complain

0 0%
  • F- If you survive my meal, you should get a medal

2 4.17%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate Your Cooking Skill

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Rate Your Cooking Skill

I'm slowly moving in the direction of being a better cook......only took a decade+
    I would rate myself as slightly above average as a cook. My creativity is my strong point and ability to mess up easy dishes a low point....

I'm making a Turkey again with all the fixings for the Holidays......

Anyone have a unique dessert recipe (chocolate lovers pie or something similar?)
    How about a unique bread for the holidays?
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2003

Pretty good

What the title said.

Working in restaurants has helped along the way. I make a mean Chicken McNuggets and Royal w/cheese
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 1998
    A+, but Google is everyones friend. http://tx.essortment.com/nobakechocolat_oow.htm

Moderator note:
    Warning - pops-ups!
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 22 Dec 2004 at 3:06 PM.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 1997
    Excellent. One of the best things about my Scouting experience as a kind was having a group of adult Scouters who challenged each other to dutch oven cooking competitions. It rubbed off.

Not a unique bread, but if you substitute organic applesauce for the oil in typcial banana bread recipes you will get a considerably healthier, better tasting bread.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Very good

With my parents and immediate family being gourmet cooks.... I have had to learn how to cook like them just to be able to eat something I like.
    I also grew up with a lot of Hungarian food being cooked by my grandmother and since Hungarian food is not readily available.... Bingo.... I had to learn how to cook that too. (Although it is usually too rich and/or unique for my girlfriend's tastes...

College was tough because I did not like things like Easy Mac and Hamburger helper.... My roommates loved it when I would cook spaghetti from scratch or do an elk roast...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I didn't really start cooking until I moved up here (I don't count the occasional dinner I would have for friends). I think the real talent lies in making good meals on a daily basis AND being able to do the big dinners. I have been told that I'm a good cook, so I gave myself a B+. Over the past few years I have been reading the Joy of Cooking on a regular basis... it tells you everything you've ever needed to know about cooking. I often change recipes to work with what I have in my kitchen. Last week I made my first ever loaf of bread from scratch (banana walnut) and I think it was one of the best banana breads I've ever had. I take a lot of pride in my cooking skills, because until I tested them I just assumed that I would be a disaster in the kitchen. I have now made six thanksgiving/Christmas dinners, with no problems and everything turned out great. I think that's a good sign.

I'm also lucky because BME is a good cook (when he decides he wants to cook). He makes an awesome beef stew, spaghetti sauces and is the all-around vegetable cooker for the big holiday feasts. I never had turnip till I met him (he makes a yummy mashed turnip with brown sugar side dish). He's also the king of mashed potatoes... never had better!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmm.. I think I'd get a C... but hey, I'm just learning... and at least I know how to follow instructions, be patient and looking after what I'm cooking, unlike the lunch lady

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well: I am ashamed to admit that I am pretty mediocre.

On the positive side: I know ingredients. I can make great pasta dishes, salads, dress up soup, etc. My seared ahi tuna salad is pretty good

I would have no idea how to make a turkey dinner. I don't have a grill for barbecued meats.

I would usually rathern go out for a nice meal.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was generous and gave myself an A-. I've never poisoned myself.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I gave myself a B-.

However, I've been telling my husband that I could be an A- or better if we only had a Wolf or Jenn-Air gas range to replace our old, industrial 6-burner gas range that has at least three different temperatures w/in the oven at any given time (when turned on, of course). The hubby remains skeptical and at this point I'd be lucky to get a Magic Chef replacement range.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I can bake a pretty good cookie. I have been known to come up with some great breads and cakes. My pies are pretty inventive too. Like Z, I grew up with good German-Hungarian food, which I learned to cook because nobody else makes it. I then began to experiment with some other styles of cooking.

One - Interested in a recipe for a chocolate pear torte? It is pretty easy to make and very tasty. I would recommend pairing it with a late harvest reisling.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Like Z, I grew up with good German-Hungarian food, which I learned to cook because nobody else makes it. I then began to experiment with some other styles of cooking.
    YES! Sing it loud Brother!!!!!
    Last edited by zman; 22 Dec 2004 at 12:14 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    Excellent. One of the best things about my Scouting experience as a kind was having a group of adult Scouters who challenged each other to dutch oven cooking competitions. It rubbed off.

Not a unique bread, but if you substitute organic applesauce for the oil in typcial banana bread recipes you will get a considerably healthier, better tasting bread.
    Ahhhh, it's tough to beat a black forrest cobbler cooked in a Dutchy! Mmmmm... good stuff.

I gave myself an A-. I'm a good cook, especially with the barbeque (been helping my Dad since I was about 10). The only major baking mistake I've made was using baking powder instead of baking soda in a recipe because the jars weren't labeled. I figured I had a 50/50 shot, but got it wrong . I'm also really good at seafood dishes.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I've never poisoned myself or others but don't cook real meals very often.

My specialties are chilli and pasta sauces. It is pretty hard to mess them up.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Not a full-on gourmet yet, but a while back, I joined a cookbook club to fill out my collection. They sent me the Nigella Lawson cookbooks, and that one by Mario Batali, and some others, as well as the basics, and so far they've all been put to good use, no one's gotten sick, and I've had a few requests for repeats. If I could find harissa around here, I'd be a happy girl.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Tort Reform.....

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I can bake a pretty good cookie. I have been known to come up with some great breads and cakes. My pies are pretty inventive too. Like Z, I grew up with good German-Hungarian food, which I learned to cook because nobody else makes it. I then began to experiment with some other styles of cooking.

One - Interested in a recipe for a chocolate pear torte? It is pretty easy to make and very tasty. I would recommend pairing it with a late harvest reisling.
    I am all for a torte recipe If you send it to me before Friday, I will make it this weekend Reisling is great wine......Dr. Thanish of the Mosel River Valley, Germany is the bomb You'll need to make a trip to Applejacks in Wheat Ridge to find it....or maybe Argonaut's......You've been to Applejack's right???
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Cooking got me through college, so I gave myself an A. I am better when winging it, not following directions. I make an absolutely killer lemon crusted chicken (the lemon crust also works well with halibut). Right now my favorites are grilled korean steak, stuffed salmon, eggplant parmesan, turkey roulade, man this is making my hungry!

My weaknesses are definetely desserts. Luckily the SO should be a pastry chef!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I am not the size I am because of junk food. We eat really well, I am a heck of a cook...
    This is a two sided bragg this Christmas Season. AS you raise children sometimes they have to get old before they realize what they have as a child. And it is even more true for step children... I just got word from my stepson that he really appreciated me holding the family together and he really misses my Thanksgiving dinner. Wooo Hooo, as a MOM I score 2 big bonus points.. That is what makes it all worth while.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I am all for a torte recipe If you send it to me before Friday, I will make it this weekend Reisling is great wine......Dr. Thanish of the Mosel River Valley, Germany is the bomb You'll need to make a trip to Applejacks in Wheat Ridge to find it....or maybe Argonaut's......You've been to Applejack's right???
    I don't know if this was directed at Cardinal, but YES, Applejacks was always a stop off I-70 on the way back from skiing. The only place to get giant cans of Molson Canadian!!!

We just had a giant liqour store open up here, I may look for that wine there....

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Booze....

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I don't know if this was directed at Cardinal, but YES, Applejacks was always a stop off I-70 on the way back from skiing. The only place to get giant cans of Molson Canadian!!!

We just had a giant liqour store open up here, I may look for that wine there....
    Sense another thread I do.....anticipation much I have......
    That's just me getting ready for the last Star Wars movie next year......

Thornton had a new warehouse type booze sales joint open, but it wasn't as good on the inside as it looked on the outside.....but it did have Tusker Lager for one year....(Kenya's national beer.....AWSOME STUFF in Kenya where it is fresh....)
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I learned Italian in South Philly;
    I learned Southern style & Tex-Mex in Arkansas;
    Then Creole in New Orleans.

Those places made me a very well-rounded... and round... chef. I also experiement with other styles, I can make some fine lamb dishes (Irishman and all) and other european / middle eastern recipies. Other than asian stuff (my sushi sucks), I can make about anything.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2003
    My mom started to teach me to cook when I was 4 or 5. 22 years later, I have some mad cooking skills. A neighbor of mine will yell at me from time to time. She will make her little sister mac and cheese and I will be mixing up a caramelized vinaigrette broth for tomato/ basil grilled chicken. I asked for a crock pot for christmas.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Time....

I find the biggest problem for me is making the time to put the effort into good cooking.....By the time I get home from work, the kids are starving and the wife is ready to eat...(she works too....thanks to our neo-not so traditional
    economy ) When I do make the time, I have fun cooking something new....
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I gave myself a B+, because I do actually make my own pie shells but have been know to "F" some thing up.

As a kid I always enjoyed being in the kitchen with my mom and after my parents split and my mom went to work, we were in charge of making our own dinners a couple nights a week. My mom would teach all of us kids (4) but I guess I was the only one who listened and enjoyed it.

I really like to make dinners Mexican, Thi, and vegeterian are my favorite. I'm not much of a baker, I guess that one of the reasons Mrs. PBD and I work so well in the kitchen. I make dinner she make desert.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    What is this cooking of which you speak?
    Actually I gave myself a "B." I used to cook more often, but being single, it's easier to pop a Lean Cuisine in the micro or a frozen pizza in the oven. My freezer is packed!
    Also, my SO is the pickiest eater. So most of the things I enjoy making & eating, he won't touch because they have mushrooms or something else that makes it unedible to him.
    Therefore, we either go out to eat or HE cooks, and he is actually a pretty good cook, so I do the washing up. Fair trade!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 May 2012, 5:38 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 23 Feb 2005, 4:41 PM
  3. Cyburbian cooking skills
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 15 Jun 2004, 10:31 AM
  4. Cooking dilemma