Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Self-Esteem Fraud

Registered
    Oct 2001

The Self-Esteem Fraud

The whole "self esteem" movement in schools was a big thing out here (I think its tied to our adult predilection for self-help "solutions").

Did you know that there is actually a National Self Esteem Association.

Well, it turns out that a lot of the ideas and training methods and educational tools are...useless. Not every "liberal" idea makes sense.

http://www.sciam.com/print_version.c...0683414B7F0000

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Heh.. It's what I've always thought... these self-esteem boosting programs at school are nothing more than a waste of time. I always hated these motivational speakers and self esteem crap at school...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Like the article says, sometimes high self esteem isn't all its cracked up to be. How many criminals (and others with no concern for others) have very high self esteem, think that the world revolves around them, and think they can do no wrong?

If you think of high school there were the kids with no self worth who sulked around all day and dropped out, but there also were the kids who thought they were so awesome they could tell the teacher off, be delinquents and drop out because they don't need school. I would imagine lots of hard core prisoners have A+ self esteem. If you've got high self esteem you need the intelligence and sense of responsibility to go with it.

Wasn't my post awesome? I'm the best!

Registered
    Dec 2003

Bunch of garbage

Kids need to be broken and have there dreams never come true. That's the only way to build character.

They should have some of these kids' idols come into school and give them the ultimatum (sp?) of a lifetime.

[Sponge Bob Square Pants] Listen little Timmy, you'll never amount to nothing, so quit trying, everybody knows you wet the bed.............. [/Sponge Bob Square Pants ]

if people would stop bothering me, I could complete my thought without forgetting what I was writing
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2004

hmmmmm.....

I like the idea that Emotional IQ is an important indication of self esteem Perception of one's self is not only done through the mirror, but through one's past experiences and life experiences.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that there are two types of motivational speakers and ideas on self esteem. Those who say “You are a great person, you do wonderful things, and everyone loves you” and those who say, “Quit your freaking whining about your life. If you don’t like it, get off your A$$ and change it.”

I am more like the second. I don’t use flowery ideas or words, I tell it how it is, and I show people that they are responsible for the world that they live in. I have had people tell me “Life debt me a bad hand” and I respond “Great... but your still playing with the same cards, play that hand, and move on!”

As for the idea of testing, that is just stupid. That is a way to have people spend money for things that I don’t think that they want. If someone tells you that you need to be motivated, and you react to that, then you deserve to be unmotivated. But if you try to change because YOU WANT to change, that is a whole other story.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    ...those who say, “Quit your freaking whining about your life. If you don’t like it, get off your A$$ and change it.”
    That's my philosophy! It's not what happens to you in life, it's how you react to what happens.
    A lot of people are afraid of change because they feel that they are losing "control."
    To hell with fear!

One of my favorite quotes:
    You don't drown by falling into the water,
    You drown by staying there.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    That's my philosophy! It's not what happens to you in life, it's how you react to what happens.
    A lot of people are afraid of change because they feel that they are losing "control."
    To hell with fear!

One of my favorite quotes:
    You don't drown by falling into the water,
    You drown by staying there.
    I also agree that 'self-esteem' is pretty much of a fraud ("My ship is sinking and the water is shark-infested, but I still feel reallllly GOOD about myself!"). I'd like to see the powers-that-be work more in instilling a sense of self-confidence in their charges instead. IMHO, one of the big reasons why the USA military is so very good at fighting and winning wars is that they do just that. "Yes, despite what the pundants say, we CAN clear that city of bad guys", and then they go in and do it.

Mike

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Medicare fraud
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Aug 2012, 10:18 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Mar 2005, 8:02 PM
  3. Insurance Fraud Information Website
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0