Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fun with clip art

Registered
    Aug 2001

Fun with clip art

I just got a copy of the quarterly newsletter for the City I used to work for. As is typical, its has an article from each department, and cheesy clip art for eye candy.

Under the "Planning Department" section, they addressed the importance of land conservation. The cheesy clip art that accompanied it was:

Oh. My. God. Two husky girls on a nature walk? Where do you get THAT clipart!?

I called the office. They had no idea.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    WOW, um yea. I guess if there is clip art, there must be a hallmark card for it now too.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This reminds me of a funny story about illustrations...

We used to have a planning technician here that did all of the illustrations for the department, including architectural renderings for public projects. At one point there was a community open house for the Downtown Redevelopment Plan and the tech designed a small illustration for the open house pamphlet, which featured the City's clocktower. Unbeknownst to the rest of the department, he drew some little sharpshooters on the clocktower. It went out, and NOBODY noticed (either the public or staff). I still giggle when I come across that illustration in our map files. Just goes to show how little attention is paid to the clipart and illustrations!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hum... yeah it's somewhat weird... but is the left person a female even? kindda looks like it could be a man with long hair and a pony tail...
    Ambiguous to say the least. And for the purpose it was added to.... it's extremely weird... did they take it out of somewhere or did they actually paid someone to do a clip art about land conservation?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Hum... yeah it's somewhat weird... but is the left person a female even? kindda looks like it could be a man with long hair and a pony tail...
    Hey yeah, this is Wisconsin. That person could be a Sensitive Ponytail Man (SPM).

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Chet - LOL! That is funny.

I was discussing with someone the other day how in 'artist's impressions' of new developments, the people in the pictures are all super-skinny white people... we were wondering what reaction we'd get if we started using figures representing the wider population.. maybe some larger people, some in wheelchairs, some homeless sleeping on a bench... and why not gay couples too!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Chet - LOL! That is funny.

I was discussing with someone the other day how in 'artist's impressions' of new developments, the people in the pictures are all super-skinny white people... we were wondering what reaction we'd get if we started using figures representing the wider population.. maybe some larger people, some in wheelchairs, some homeless sleeping on a bench... and why not gay couples too!
    Ahhh... the power of google:

http://www.carefreecove.com/gallery.html#

http://www.flock2it.com/index.html
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Hey yeah, this is Wisconsin. That person could be a Sensitive Ponytail Man (SPM).
    My (foreign non english speaking) wife calls those fairy tails.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Funniest news clip ever
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 08 Aug 2003, 1:23 PM
  2. Planning Clip Art
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Apr 2003, 5:21 PM
  3. clip art and images
    Friday Afternoon Club