Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How busy are YOU this week?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

How busy are YOU this week?

I have nothing due, and want to catch up on some loose ends, but this week has been surprisingly busy here at my office. It seems excessive, as told to me from the senior people here. I don't know what it is....

How busy are you guys?

I suspect I'll be slow the later in the week and we are closed on friday, but the meetings today and yesterday have been more frequent. I hoping for a quiet day tomorrow while I'm on call....

P.S. I've had three phone calls while writing this....
    Last edited by zman; 21 Dec 2004 at 1:38 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's nuts here... not so much from a public counter, lots of phone calls kind of thing... but incredibly busy just from the number of on-going projects we have. Unfortunately, I'm totally unmotivated this week so I am having a hard time concentrating. So my cyburbia visits are longer and more frequent.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Got to finish up some things, especially after not being here yesterday.

Yup . . . in a minute, I'll bust it all out.

Alright . . . goodbye.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Not at all...guess I could be, just don't feel like it!!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    pretty busy today for a holiday week....but probably mostly because no one was out yesterday in the storm.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    It's nuts here... not so much from a public counter, lots of phone calls kind of thing... but incredibly busy just from the number of on-going projects we have. Unfortunately, I'm totally unmotivated this week so I am having a hard time concentrating. So my cyburbia visits are longer and more frequent.
    Same here. *sigh*

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Yesterday and this AM I was pretty busy trying to get some stuff done and out in the mail. Got that done, Now I have just a few little things, nothing to pressing, so the rest of the week will pretty mellow/boring.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Buttloads of work, with people calling/walking in constantly.

Everyone wants to be done with something before the holidays, I guess...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quite busy around here!

It seems like the last day before Xmas vacation is always the busiest of all. I'm always here late trying to finish everything up before getting on the road for the trip to see the family.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I thought things were supposed to slow down this time of year. My building inspector says things have slowed down for him, but I've got 3 rezoning applications, 1 annexation, 1 tax exemption, several City Commission requested code revisions, 1 alley vacation, numerous "fires" and 3 Heritage Commission issues. I was going to use this "slow time" to do some writing on the Comp Plan revision we hope to complete by mid-2005.

This may not sound like alot, but for a 1 man operation in a town of 6,500, it's a significant workload (I think).
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'm on summer vacations, so that's how busy I am

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Busy. Gotta get some land sales done by the end of the year to turn em into taxable property.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Things are crazy. Master is off this week, and I am gone next week. But between his work, and mine, I am swamped. It is mostly stuff for catching up and inspections, and I wrote a few tickets for code violations last week and the people are not coming in all up in arms about it. One guy said I did not give him enough time to remove the junk and debris from his property, I told him that we gave him 45 days, he then told me that he does not work that way... I wanted to tell him, well the city does... Merry Christmas!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Surprisingly busy here, though things are slowing down a little following the slam of Home Depot here. I have a P&Z meeting tonight with two variances (one legit, the other not), and three revisions to the zoning ordinance. Should be a short one. God knows we deserve it after the last few Home Depot marathon meetings.

Future Mrs. drove over and took me to lunch, which made my day!

I'm staring out the window of a sunny, 75 degree day wondering WTF am I doing inside. And there's nothing I can remotely use for a site visit right now. You wanna here about crazy Texas weather... the forecast high today is 78 with sunny skies--this Friday the predicted high is 41 with snow flurries!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    CRAZY!!

We have a Planning Commission meeting Thursday afternoon, with a very large agenda and a couple of planners out. No rest for the unmotivated!
    Lots of calls, people trying to get their personal stuff done before year's end, and no idea of how long something takes. I just love telling people it's a 38 day cycle for public hearings - they freak , because they're supposed to close on the property before Christmas.

Actually, I'm hoping next week is slow. It's a three day week, so hopefully a lot of people will be away and/or not inclined to call.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Several years ago, the period from the middle of December to the end of January was great "catch-up" time. I would generally use that month or so to update data, revise publications, and get similar work done. The last 4-5 years have been very different. It seems that there is no real slow-down. In fact, it seems that many people who have been working on projects all year long make a push to get them in before the end of the year, so we are even more busy.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Big Move....

I'm expected to move my entire office with four small boxes.....down into the basement.....(I don't think its shades of Office Space, since I'm not being placed into the power room.... ) Not fun.......

Cardinal- What you describe is part of the expected increase in worker productivity. Fewer staff and more responsibility and work = STRESS........... I think someone said something at a recent (last 5 years) ICMA conference to convince city management to cut to the bone and demand higher levels of service..... All part of the city trying to act like a "for profit" organization instead of a representative public organization that does what it needs to do, not for $$ but for the citizens of that community......(see rant about management practices to come in the future..... )
    Last edited by The One; 21 Dec 2004 at 4:39 PM.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    An Update!!!!

So I may have tied some loose ends up for the week which is good. But the counter is just crazy. People just keep coming in and coming in. No rest for the appellants either. Oh well. I'll lay low and surf Cyburbia in between putting fires out....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Master is off this week, and I am gone next week.
    Too bad your master didn't leave you in the good hands of another. I guess Plannergirl will have to discipline you while he's gone.

That typo just never gets old.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I had two days vacation to burn before year end, so I am home today and tomorrow.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Busy.. but I believe most of it is self created. Slacking in the previous couple days and being sick, doctors appointments, etc. have set me back a couple days.

Also, I've been doing counter work nearly every day for 2 weeks. You can't get crap done when you phone and counter duty every day.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not at all, I am on vacation visiting Mom.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Not at all, I am on vacation visiting Mom.
    Oh, god. If I were visting my mom or sister, they would be dragging me out for marathon shopping sprees, I'd be helping cook tons of stuff, etc. I would be busy, busy, busy.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Had a little debacle last week that resulted in a big catch up for a grant application. Got assigned some new projects. I am probably too busy to be slacking right now, but...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dead.

Dead.

Dead.

My client communities told me not to bother showing up for office hours. No one calls. No one writes. I get the "it's not you, it's me"... Most are union cities and off the 23-24 due to the weekend overlap. We are only officially off the 24th. *yawn*
    I have vacation time to burn, so I should now...

Next week will be the same.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Looking Busy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 23 May 2006, 10:13 PM
  2. NB Going to hell - a busy week
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 May 2005, 12:54 PM